PDA

View Full Version : Mitsubishi Evolution 2010

Vladivpg
03-07-2011, 12:03 AM
hello everyone

This is my first attempt to model a Car ( Mitsubishi Evolution 2010 ) it is a WIP still have to add a lots of details I am looking for some good tutorials for CG car modeling techniques. I am using Maya and Mental Ray. This is just one of my daily progress test renders without any compositing or even much of lighting or texturing on it, what I am trying to do is to clean up the topology. Few weeks ago I had over 100K polygons for this model. Now after retopologizing it I have only about 16-17K polygons and improved overall shape. Any kinds of crits and comments are welcome, but my problem is that somehow I could not find good tutorials online or some other kind of learning materials for car modeling techniques and especially resolving edge flow issues so I had to learn by looking wireframe renders of other CG car models which can be a challenge but is quite time consuming and maybe not as efficient as I would like it to be. Please help.

Thankshttp://mail.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/01.gif

GamerDude3282
03-07-2011, 05:58 PM
You might want to potentially look into getting this: http://www.amazon.com/3D-Automotive-Modeling-Insiders-Design/dp/0240814282/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299520474&sr=8-1

Although the author is a little vague at times, his books are fairly well laid out. I believe he works on the Motorstorm games currently just to give you a little background. Sometimes information on the internet can be kind of scattered, if you really want to get into automotive modeling this might be worth a look.

Also your render looks pretty good. Its a little sharp in a couple of areas and I'd switch the windshield/window material around but other than that your well on pace.

Vladivpg
03-08-2011, 02:40 PM
Ooo yeah yeah Amazon is a good idea and that seems as a cool book as well, would you recomend any other titles.

GamerDude3282
03-08-2011, 07:10 PM
Ooo yeah yeah Amazon is a good idea and that seems as a cool book as well, would you recomend any other titles.

I currently don't have any further titles to recommend. I would recommend some tutorials online for vehicle modeling/rendering, but many of them are so vague that they probably won't be much help.

As always, practice makes perfect. Cheers!

IRAFK
03-16-2011, 10:59 PM
Lets see some wires. I can see you have some issues with your your transition from your hood to bonnet. May be a normal issue...but...Wires! I need wires! :P

Vladivpg
03-18-2011, 12:20 AM
OK here are some print_screens of my model. I had a hard time modeling the headlights and now I am looking for tutorial about the wiper blades area and hopefully soon I may get to the exterior of the car.

IRAFK
03-18-2011, 05:50 AM
Unsmoothed is preferred. :bounce: The surfaces need to share the same amount of edges from piece to piece (hood to bonnet, bonnet having more edges than the hood= bad)

CGTalk Moderation
03-18-2011, 05:50 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.