PDA

View Full Version : Dilapidated Bench

MayaBug
03-06-2011, 10:58 PM
http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/8739/gardenbench002.jpg (http://img97.imageshack.us/i/gardenbench002.jpg/)

My first textured model in Maya!

There is only a diffuse map on this model, how would I improve it? Would it be worthwhile going the normal map route for a background asset like this?

It just looks a bit flat...

Thanks

AoB
03-07-2011, 05:37 AM
Hey my man,

Your right in saying that it looks flat, but that may because it doesnt look dilapidated. Do a quick google search for old/dilapidated wooden benches like this one:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Dilapidated_bench.jpg
Your one looks quite strong and sturdy. Break some boards, add dents to the wood (in the texture) and skew some of the boards, like the nails came loose and they shifted position. Also use a higher res texture, they one you have looks quite low res, BUT then again, it depends on what you are working towards. Get a bump map of some kind on there are well and that will help, after you get it looking dilapidated with out textures on it.
Hope this lil bit of info helps, hope i didnt come across as bitchy :). Some more work my man, and you could have a nice piece there.

aeres
03-07-2011, 10:46 AM
bend some of the planks, rotate them ever so slightly, make some of them disappear. Generally, just break the uniformity. You'd be surprise what little effort it takes to make it look much more believable.

A bump map would definitely help, too.

Also, rendering with shadows helps break the flatness :)

MayaBug
03-07-2011, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

Regarding the bump map, how would I create one? Do I just load my diffuse map into the bump map?

@AoB: How would I make a hi-res texture? The map I've used is 1024x1024, do you recommend 2048x2048?

AoB
03-08-2011, 05:19 AM
Ye i meant 1024*1024, 2048*2048 etc. I thought the texture on your bench was less than that. Are you using the full size of the UVs? If you have the larger pieces of the bench only using up a small area in the unwrap area then it will give the look that the texture is of a low res. So prioritize your pieces, largest pieces biggest and smaller pieces smallest.

MayaBug
03-08-2011, 06:59 PM
Ok, so 1024x1024 is already considered hi-res?

In hindsight my UV layout was poor, I should have overlapped many of the pieces and prioritised the larger pieces like you say. What do you mean by saying "the full size of the UVs?"

AoB
03-08-2011, 07:27 PM
1024*1024 is fine. Overlap some of the pieces but not to many otherwise you will have too many pieces looking the same. Im not sure what Maya is like, im a Max guy. But should be roughly the same. The area were you flaten out your UVs make sure you use all the space available to you. Dont give the smaller pieces the same space as the bigger ones. IF your going to make a Normal Map, dont over lap the pieces, as Normal maps dont like having geometry overlapping.

MayaBug
03-14-2011, 08:00 PM
The overlapping process would've worked well for this model but if normal mapping is common for background objects then I guess I'll have to forget about that idea and just focus on getting the most out of the available space.

It's seems bloody difficult though to get great looking textures out of such a limited space :hmm:.

GeoLOu
04-18-2011, 10:13 AM
comingout good keep posting,

regards,
GEorgy

megalmn2000
04-18-2011, 12:36 PM
The texture will look more uniform if you can use 1 wood texture for all the mesh on the UV.
From what I see, there's many kind of wood texture and it breaks the visual (too many color variation).

For the flat part, you can try to bake an ambient occlusion map, this will give you more depth for the bench.

Also, the scaling of the texture aren't proportional everywhere. I would suggest you to try a checker when unwrapping so you can see the ratio.

Good luck! :applause:

ColdFusionGames
04-18-2011, 09:06 PM
The model looks pretty good, but as others have said, you need to move stuff around and make it look used.

Go to cgtextures.com or something, and get you a nice wood texture to use on the whole model. Right now it looks like there are 5 types of wood, and it'll look best with just 1 for now. :thumbsup:

You also may want to post your UVs. It looks like you're giving every polygon equal detail, when you should really be giving the sides you can see the most detail. The polygons under the seat, and between the boards are not really important, and can be made quite small in the UV.

CGTalk Moderation
04-18-2011, 09:06 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.