PDA

View Full Version : Fx demo reel 2011

Rolex
03-04-2011, 05:46 PM
Hey guys, I recently completed my demo reel.Spend around 2 and half months on it.Planned to finish 10 shots(all 3d). Unfortunately 3 of them was a disaster(Twister simulation :cry: ).So in here i have 7 shots which i feel is good enough for my demo reel as i am looking for an entry level as an FX Artist. All works and ideas are completely mine excluding the music.

Music Courtesy : Realite (L'autre endroit) by Silence.
Video time : 1 min 5 sec.
Softwares : Maya and Realflow.

So please be kind enough to check my reel and give your opinion, suggestions and feedbacks.
Thank you for dropping in here.

http://vimeo.com/20611927

Thank you.

mandark1011
03-04-2011, 08:20 PM
i have some questions for you that if you answer i think will help your chances.

1) did you use any reference for these shots? What i mean is find a video of a real event then try to duplicate it..It gets really easy after looking at something your creating for a long time to believe it looks real when in fact it doesnt.

2) Do the two realflow shots show different techniques or control over realflow? To me they seem to demonstrate the same technique.

Bottom line is that you want studios to believe that you can complete shots for them, they want to see good looking fx and they want to know that you have control over the various dynamic engines and solvers.

so my two cents is finesse a few of these shots and cut the ones that are dead weight..the second realflow sim and the explosion in the house are the two that stand out for me. The meteor impact needs work but could be a cool shot that demonstrates a bunch of particle control.

Good luck to you and keep working on your demos...i think i did about 8 demos before i started getting responses from studios so your perseverance WILL pay off.

cowboy71
03-04-2011, 08:25 PM
Your stuff is looking very nice. A few things I would think about, I wouldn't cover any of your effects. Feels like your trying to hide something. I would make a glass front for your fireplace, and maybe throw a few logs in there. For your water sims, you might think about putting them on a different colored background. Really hard to make out what's going on. I think a black background with nice lighting would be really nice. Explosions are very tricky to pull off. Feels like your textures are moving way to fast. Might slow those down a bit and make your smoke dissipate slower, so it feels more natural.
But all in all good job man.

nathansims100
03-05-2011, 05:31 AM
I would have to agree with both Mandark and cowboy. I felt the realflow parts were very similar and I think just showing one is good enough. maybe take it a bit further possibly creating a more complex animation. all in all I felt is was a good presentation and with some more tweaking in your sims you will be there.

Aikiman
03-05-2011, 10:00 AM
yep looking good, above comments valid although I actually think the comet explosion was well done but didnt like the house explosion at the end. Keep working on it and dont give up, it would be good to see 3-4 more effects in there to really pad it out but get inventive with your ideas now. What you have done so far is looking really smart and if you want to be a FX guy you dont need to get fancy with shaders or camera moves etc although they are a nice touch.

Remember your demo reel will always keep evolving so get stuck in and build up your knowledge, learning never stops for anyone.

All the best.

mandark1011
03-05-2011, 08:43 PM
To clarify (after Aikiman's comments and me re reading my thread) I thought the second realflow sim and the house explosion should be cut or reworked, and that the comet explosion would be a great shot to finesse.

I also like the comment about always learning, its so true and I find that the people who are succesful in this industry get excited when new things come out and they get to learn where they can push things. One of the reasons why i love fx so much is that i really never know what ill be asked to produce next, the joy for me often comes from figureing out how to make something and then bringing it to completion in a shot contributed to by many talented artists.

Rolex
03-06-2011, 04:26 AM
Hey thank you all for your feedbacks. I appreciate it guys. :)

@ mandark1011

2) Do the two realflow shots show different techniques or control over realflow? To me they seem to demonstrate the same technique.

The first RF sim is the use of Magic daemon, which is base for the second RF complex sim.
In second RF sim i have used Magic as a base and have integrated with Morph and various other daemons.

As for reference for these shots.Yes i have, but i haven't used them to duplicate my shots or produce something similar.All i did was studied the technique used behind that and do things in my own way.

Reference for Rf sims.Hope you can watch these videos and understand what i have tried to acheive. Please dnt compare these shots with mine. :rolleyes: (my sims are no way close to these.)Least i have attempted. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQPjOOtaJNI&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci6wuvA-z2Y&feature=related

Thank you.

Rolex
03-06-2011, 04:36 AM
@ cowboy71

Your stuff is looking very nice. A few things I would think about, I wouldn't cover any of your effects. Feels like your trying to hide something. I would make a glass front for your fireplace, and maybe throw a few logs in there. For your water sims, you might think about putting them on a different colored background. Really hard to make out what's going on. I think a black background with nice lighting would be really nice. Explosions are very tricky to pull off. Feels like your textures are moving way to fast. Might slow those down a bit and make your smoke dissipate slower, so it feels more natural.
But all in all good job man.

Thank you. :)
I didn't try to hide anything.My Adobe premier skills are not up to the mark.Its a good idea to throw a few logs in there and make the fire more dramatic.But i think the fire is good enough and dont wanna mess with it.

For the water sims on a black background? I am unable to visualize it, i think it will be dull.As for blue background.Blue represents water.( will try your idea and post few screenshots.)

For explosion. Yes i agree with you that its not upto the mark.It was a difficult.Will work on the texture rate and update the video in here.(Hope that works out).

Thank you again :)

Rolex
03-06-2011, 04:38 AM
@ nathansims100 and Aikiman

Thank you guys. :)

kyleb2112
03-09-2011, 06:34 AM
I'd put very subtle (barely noticeable) camera movement in all those shots--even if you just fake it in Premier by animating the scale. It's a simple thing that does wonders for the overall impression.

CGTalk Moderation
03-09-2011, 06:34 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.