PDA

View Full Version : Maya Or Realflow For Rigid Body Simulations

ian27
03-02-2011, 01:23 AM
Hey guys,

I have recently been asked to create a small project where various coins are coming out of a tap. I have used Maya rigid body dynamics in the past, but I have recently been very impressed with RealFlow when I used it in a different fluid simulation. I am thinking about giving RealFlow rigid body simulations a go for this project to see what results I get.

My questions are:
a. Has anybody tried both Maya and Realflow for rigid body simulations?
b. If so, were there any advantages or disadvantages to each piece of software in this area?
c. Which one do you prefer using for this type of work?

Any responses would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Ian

hkspowers
03-02-2011, 08:50 PM
Maya should really remove rigid bodies from their feature list as they are completely useless in production. You can fake it with ncloth but if you are simming anything even remotely complex then a real rigid body system would be immensely better. I vote for realflow.

Aikiman
03-03-2011, 02:58 AM
FYI

Maya 2012 looks like it is shipping with PhysX engine for RB which is multi-threaded and also Digital Molecular Matter plug-in for destruction. MAybe Mayas RB is will be back in the game finally.

http://www.digitalartsonline.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=3263150

for now I would run with Realflow too.

(something handy for nCloth rigids as well...

"Rigid nCloth shells

You can now apply Rigidity and Deform Resistance to the individual polygon shells that make up your nCloth mesh. When meshes made from individual polygon shells are converted to nCloth, a new Use Polygon Shell attribute enables Rigidity and Deform Resistance on each shell. The shells then behave as individual rigid objects in simulations.
Use Polygon Shells is useful for creating simple destruction and other rigid self-colliding effects."

)

DynamicBoy
03-03-2011, 02:16 PM
Realflow counts with a much better rbd solver than Maya, the problem is you have to import your models then export the simulation back to Maya for rendering, this is pretty cumbersome, as for any change you have to make the whole process again and again.

If you like Realflow rigid bodies and Maya, you are lucky, Pulldownit plugin is a rigid bodies and fracture plugin made by the same developer of Realflow 4 rigid bodies , and you can use it inside Maya, it is more intended for fracture and destruction but you can use it as a simple rbd solver, here some demos in the Maya viewport:

http://vimeo.com/13654192

http://vimeo.com/13057457 (http://vimeo.com/13057457)

MikeRhone
03-03-2011, 03:57 PM
Have you checked out Bullet? (http://bulletphysics.org/wordpress/) For a straight RBD sim I would use that over nCloth. Maya's rigid bodies are old old old... Realflow could be good, but as DynamicBoy suggested it's a fair bit of back and forth. I'm also not a huge fan of working in the realflow GUI (personal preference).

Still, I would seriously consider Bullet. It's open source and is decently integrated into Maya.

mandark1011
03-03-2011, 05:52 PM
FYI

Maya 2012 looks like it is shipping with PhysX engine for RB which is multi-threaded and also Digital Molecular Matter plug-in for destruction. MAybe Mayas RB is will be back in the game finally.

)

unfortunatly looks like PhysX stuff is only available for windows platforms :(
would be great to have a sound fracture/rb solver native to maya tho.

maya 2012 ... excited ..but ive been hurt before lol

hkspowers
03-03-2011, 07:31 PM

Not sure if you saw the demo but the shattering looked horrid and slow. And the PhysX didn't show anything for a rigid body system that I could tell aside from some cloth looking sims. If the demos were any indication of whats to come then ... don't get your hopes up. lol

On a second note, we have PDI here at work and we use it a a straight rigid solver all the time, it works beautifully.

Aikiman
03-03-2011, 09:35 PM

Like anything, it always looks shiney and promising on the box but once you get stuck into it you'll probably find all the short comings. HAving said that its gotta be better than the current RB.

Downside is its windows only like you said, thats just wrong.

I ,ike the look of new nucleus features, per object fields, nucleus is now a DAG node and this shell concept will help beef up RB.

mandark1011
03-03-2011, 09:56 PM
multithreaded nparticle collisions... sounds like some solid improvements...
The comments from the beta testers suggests that the performance has been enhanced significantly.

my earlier comment too said "native" RB solver..... doesnt mean a ton to most studios but in our studio its what makes or breaks an effects artists ability to sell a shot a specific way to our supervisors, even when its a free plugin like Bullet. They want to know that we can start working immediately on a sequence or shot and that its all neatly packaged into maya and therefore our pipe....

ndeboar
03-03-2011, 11:19 PM
+1 for bullet. I did some tests with it, seems pretty solid/fast.

wallabee
03-03-2011, 11:59 PM
I had two weeks to destroy a bridge, and no real time to get something like Bullet going. Since RealFlow was in the studio pipeline I went with that and it worked pretty well - scripted a setup in Python where the RBD's wouldn't kick on until my influence sphere covered it, which allowed me to control what parts of the bridge collapsed and when. Worked like a champ.

The one thing I'll say is I had some real trouble with UVs after the fact. Ended up writing a different script that parented the Maya meshes to the RF simm'd meshes.

Unless you've got Bullet going and working perfectly, RealFlow is great in a pinch.

ruchitinfushion
03-06-2011, 05:59 AM
Nparticles keep fallin' on my head
And just like the Scene whose cache are too big for his simulation
Nothin' seems to fit
Those Nparticles are fallin' on my head, they keep fallin'

So I just did me some talkin' to the Autodesk
And I said I didn't like the way he got things done
Sleepin' on the job
Those Nparticles are fallin' on my head, they keep fallin'

But there's one thing I know
The PhysX they send to meet me won't defeat me
It won't be long till happiness(2012) steps up to greet me

Nparticles keep fallin' on my head
But that doesn't mean my eyes will soon be turnin' red
Cryin's not for me
'Cause I'm never gonna stop the simulation by complainin'
Because I'm free
Nothin's worryin' me

CGTalk Moderation
03-06-2011, 05:59 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.