PDA

View Full Version : manga style hair

persius
03-01-2011, 08:02 PM
Hi

I'm trying my hand at a new technique. I've built a model and now I would like to create the hair but I'm not sure what the best method would be. I've included an image to give you an idea of what I'm trying to do. I can't really decide if I should be extruding faces and shaping that way, or adding seperate polygons or even using nurbs.
If anybody has modeled similar hair styles, I would appreciate your input on the best method.

Thank you.

Arrimus
03-02-2011, 04:35 AM
If you want detailed control then this would probably be the best way.

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/4722/animehairtutorial.jpg (http://img821.imageshack.us/i/animehairtutorial.jpg/)

persius
03-02-2011, 05:47 AM
Thanks for sending the images. Just one question. I could be wrong but it appears that the initial faces are first extruded and then extruded one more time to create the hair?

Thanks

Arrimus
03-02-2011, 10:07 AM
The first time I extruded so as to get the basic shape started. I could have also made a plane and put it there but by extruding directly from the head I save time and get the hair where I want it. Then, after applying a Taper modifier, which narrows the model down on the tip, I wield the bottom verts to get a sharp point . After that, I apply a Shell modifier which is basically the same as extruding both sides of the faces at the same time, creating a closed mesh with no holes. After you apply Shell, you should delete the top faces as they are not needed because the hair enters the head, as well as wielding the bottom verts again to create a point.

After that, I cut the edges in half on the sides to create sharpness on the left and right of the hair strand. Then it's just a matter of applying a Turbosmooth/Meshsmooth modifer and duplicating the hair strands all over the head, adjusting each one separately to get the desired hair style.

Salladin
03-03-2011, 08:02 AM
Very nice help, thank you so much, I was wondering how to do that stuff for a while now. Those images give me some good inspiration.

CGTalk Moderation
03-03-2011, 08:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.