View Full Version : ALIENWARE Challenge Entry: Julian Lloyd
10-21-2003, 07:35 AM
Julian Lloyd has entered the ALIENWARE Challenge.
11-03-2003, 01:53 AM
Wow, i been putting this off, but I been so busy...
Here is a simple sketch... just one of my ideas (this sketch is influenced by a book that i have)
anywho, made with Wacom & Painter 8.0... (I just got the tablet and painter 3 days ago, so gimmie a break if its kinda weak)
- the path is a floating gas cloud
- the buildings are very tall, extravagent, and of the ancient greek / gothic style
- there will be 3 moons in the sky, hense the name "moon city"
:lightbulb Edit: Also, this concept is bound to change perspective, maybe more from a "person's view" or something, since that would probably be more appropriate, but it's just a sketch to get my ideas out :D
11-03-2003, 05:14 AM
I like "tribal" feeling about this one. In composition- probably a bit too many similiar, vertical shapes. If You will "smooth" mountain line it should work much better.
11-04-2003, 04:02 AM
I completely changed my idea... but I do appreciate your comments, and they are being implemented into the new concept sketch, which isn't quite finished, but can be seen below.
Anywho, on to the update...
11-04-2003, 04:05 AM
Here is a more complex sketch... this one, probably a lot closer to the actual idea I'm going to use. This one made with Wacom & Painter 8.0 + Photoshop 7.0.1. Approx. 45min sketch (includding coloring in photoshop).
- the abyss off the cliff, will reveal tall spires I think...
- scale is shown by the figure in the bottom right...
Comments? Critiques? Ideas? remember, it's not finished, it's still a work in progress!
**Note: Here is a link to a larger (1000x676 pixels) version of the above sketch: Larger Version Here (http://www.hellrender.com/concept1_milestone.jpg)
11-04-2003, 05:39 AM
Sure thing :)
- You will have problem if You want to display scale by showing figure- humanoids are prohibited I believe.
- really- really nice colour set. Very "hellish". Just an idea- maybe add one more sun..?
- if You want to add spires making image vertical may be a good idea...
- right now shadows seem to be rather flat (with that kind of lighting it can be unavoidable. Not necessairly bad thing but worth remembering.
Looking forward for more...
11-04-2003, 07:12 AM
- the scale is only shown with that figure in the corner, for the viewers to get a sense of things, its not part of the actual image, because in a setting of vast proportions, its hard to tell how big stuff is, so I wanted to give the viewers and idea of how big this rock formation is.
- as far as more than one sun, I dunno... it might add too much to the scene, I'll see what i think after I add the rest of the scene.
- making the image verticle, i dunno, i like the panaroamic view, it's very expressive of how a new environment feels for the first time, specially a vast environment.
- shadows? what shadows? lol... this is a sketch i did on black paper, if it resembles shadows thats kind of a mistake. heh, the only shadow is on the "figure" which is only so he looks like he's on the ground, and not floating. :D
lol, _RK_ seems to be my only fan! heheh... anywho, C&C are always welcome... new updates on the sketch are coming soon! (tomorrow afternoon probably)
11-04-2003, 09:24 AM
About figure- in final image You will also need some kind of scale indicator I think... or is there other solution ? Rest of ideas are... just ideas, nothing more :D.
01-16-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
vBulletin v3.0.5, Copyright ©2000-2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.