PDA

View Full Version : anyone know how to change maya cache file folder (not particle cache folder)

Dontnoun
02-27-2011, 11:57 PM
anyone know how to change maya cache file folder (not particle cache folder)?

my computer has 12G RAM, then I create a 3G RAM disk in memory, I want to change maya cache folder to RAM disk, I think that will accelerate maya working speed,
by default ,maya cache folder is in .../username/local/temp/
anyone know how to change maya cache folder?

PS: a friend tell me ,change system cache folder to RAM disk,then, maya cache will be automatic move to RAM disk,
but, I CAN NOT DO THAT, because my system is linux, /temp was already a disk, when I created RAM disk , it can not be named /temp, and it is can not become as system default TEMP folder,I do not want to reinstall my computer......
I hope someone know how to change that, many thanks!!

haggi
02-28-2011, 07:03 AM
What about setting the tmp or temp env variable in the maya.env file? Or simply starting maya from a batch file where you set the tmp dir before starting maya?

Dontnoun
02-28-2011, 07:47 AM
thanks Haggi,
just add this line to maya.ENV file
TMPDIR = /dev/shm/Rambuf
then it works

but I also found some interesting setting of maya.ENV of linux

MAYA_HOTBOX_USE_SOFTWARE = 1
MAYA_MMSET_DEFAULT_XCURSOR =1

but after test, I find maya is not become as faster as I expect,
then, I copied whole maya installtion folder to RAM disk, run maya, now its very faster, at least when maya opened

CGTalk Moderation
02-28-2011, 07:47 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.