PDA

View Full Version : Frequently Asked Questions

Leonard
10-21-2003, 05:25 AM
Q. Do "life forms" include plants? / What exactly is supposed to be in the image? / I want to create an image with xyz lifeform, can I? / Are unborn eggs ok? / Can I create a Terminator-like mecha creature? What's OK and not? - Semantic questions
A. Artistic liberty is given to you to create and amaze us. Use your initiative, as we do not wish to give too many guidelines or restrictions.

Q. Why are mods not allowed to enter this challenge?
A. Due to the large prize, and to keep judging unbiased (selected mods will be asked to judge the final entries), we are making a general rule - no mods allowed.

Q. Are collaborations (2 or more artists working on one entry) allowed?
A. No. Collaborations are not allowed as it completely changes the dynamics of the challenge. If teamwork is allowed, it would give larger teams an advantage.

Q. Can people with educational licenses, or trial/exp versions enter?
A. Yes. There is no restriction on whether you use educational or fully licensed software.

Q. Can people with pirated software enter this challenge?
A. If you are using pirated software, you are only continuing to do so at your own legal risk. Neither Alienware, CGNetworks nor any of the contest sponsors endorses the use of pirated software and anyone silly enough to admit to using pirated software will have their entry removed from the challenge promptly, with risk of legal action from the respective copyright holders.

Q. Will this be the only challenge or will the regular ones such as an animation challenge/2D challenge during this one?
A. There are currently no plans to run other challenges during the Alienware Challenge (subject to change). The reason for this is due to the high attrition rate when running too many challenges at the same time. We want everyone to focus on one challenge, for three months, do a good job and most importantly, finish it.

Q. Is post processing in non 3D applications (e.g. Photoshop) all right?
A. Absolutely. We believe that in order to get the best image quality and results, you will need to perform post-work in an image processing application. Your image, however, must be predominantly 3D. How you want to construct your image (multiple 3D elements composited, or full 3D render), is at your discretion.

Q. How much 2D is allowed over the 3D? Do things like dust, fire, and all other effects have to be achieved within the 3D app or can they be painted on afterwards? Would even things like paint-overs be allowed?
A. The image needs to be predominantly 3D, or give the effect of being three-dimensional. The purpose of this challenge is to facilitate the creation of art. Use your discretion, artistic license and initiative in creating the art.

Q. On the main CGnetworks competition area do you just want 1 finished milestone pic, i.e. 1 final concept, 1 finished modeling, 1 finished textured etc. and leave all the inbetweens to cgtalk or shove every single created picture in CGnetworks?
A. Submit images that you want to be considered for judging. You will need at least one per milestone. You do not need to submit all WIP shots via the CGNetworks challenge system as you may like to host them and directly plug them in-line on posts. This is at your discretion.

Q. Is there a set image aspect ratio we have to work to?
A. No, but you may like to consider working in a 'portrait' layout as it will be easier to use the image in a promotional poster setting, or print in a book such as EXPOSE' 2. This is at your discretion, but are valid consideration points.

Q. Does your first Concept Sketch have to be done in pencil or is a painter/photoshop drawing OK?
A. You can use Photoshop, Painter or any other drawing application to do your concept sketches. These do not need to be done in traditional media.

Q. Does the final winning image need to be of a certain size at 300dpi?
A. Image Size (IMPORTANT PLEASE READ)
- Image dimensions should be print resolution (as large as you can possibly render). Do not send in a low-resolution placeholder and ask us to get back to you, as we won't.
- A guideline is 2657 pixels wide and/or 3636 high, 300 DPI.
- DO NOT upsample your images to achieve higher resolution. If you cannot reach the desired full-page resolution, just send in what you have.
Final submission information will be made available in January 2004. All contestants will be emailed with secure FTP information only in January 2004.

Q. Do artists need to sign over usage rights for Alienware or whoever to use i.e. will the winning images be used commercially?
A. All artwork submitted for the Alienware CG Challenge, including WIP's are automatically given rights for Alienware and CGNetworks to use for marketing purposes. This is documented in the terms and conditions presented during the challenge entry and submission process.

Q. The rules state to avoid well known sci-fi franchises but what about a lesser known sci-fi concept?
A. The sole purpose of avoiding well known sci-fi franchises is to prevent any possible infringement of copyrights, intellectual property, and to promote originality. While you can be inspired by existing material, it is good artistic practise to avoid blatant copying of existing designs.

Q. May I submit more than one entry?
A. No. Each individual is restricted to one entry.

Q. Wondering if the challenge is limited to still pictures. If a short camera move or atmospheric (lightning, rain, etc..) effects can be used in a short clip and included with a still image for consideration when judging?
A. This challenge is limited to still images. While you can create animations for your own edification, judging will only be limited to stills.

Q. Can the milestones that you upload be updated or are you bound to the one you upload first? In other words, are the uploads you use with the CGNetworks system final?
A. You can upload multiple entries for the same milestone - e.g. you may have 2 or more concept sketches that you wish to upload for consideration.

Q. Can I enter the challenge using digital matte painting using predominantly Photoshop or Painter?
A. While there is nothing stopping you from entering the challenge, the milestones are clearly catered to 3D image creation, and you will be unable to meet these milestones. Quick answer is 'no'. Long answer is 'yes', but you probably won't meet the requirements to be considered for judging.

Q. Are Work In Progress (WIP) going to be judged?
A. No. But you need to submit work in progress shots (screengrabs, sketches, test renders, etc) in order to meet the requirements of this challenge. We will not be judging the quality of the WIP's submitted, but they need to be submitted, for the overall entry to be considered for judging.

Q. Are terrain generators allowed?
A. Yes. As long as it is not the prominent feature of the artwork, it is allowed. E.g. backdrop mountain vistas... you cannot use terrain generators or other parametric software model generators to create the primary subject matters.

Q. Are there deadlines on the work in progress milestones?
A. No. However, one of the judging criteria is "community interaction" - artists who 'hold back' their milestones and submit all at the last minute will not score well in this category.

Q. So what ARE the judging criteria?
A. Full judging criteria and panel of judges will be announced in January 2004. Before then, we will not disclose or discuss the judging process or criteria.

---
If you have a question, please reply to this thread. I will answer, then delete the post so that this thread does not blow out.
Questions that have already been answered here, or in the instructions at http://www.cgnetworks.com/alienware/challenge.php, will not be answered.
---

Leonard
10-22-2003, 11:21 PM
Alienware/CG Contest.

Open letter to everyone on this forum and entering the Alienware/CG Networks contest:

I'll write a more detailed clarification of the rules a bit later but I just wanted to assure everyone of a few things:

- No artwork will be used in any fashion without credit given to the artist.

- No artwork will knowingly be sold, in whole or in part, by Alienware

- It is not Alienware's intention to keep ANY of the artwork other than for purposes of deciding a winner and longer than the length of this contest.

- The "marketing purposes" in the rules and regulations does not mean we are incorporating the artwork in any official advertising or a physical product, like a silk-screen on the side of a chassis. Artwork could be used for marketing purposes like the promotion of this contest, promotion of future contests, or to showcase the creativity of digital artists.

- The artist will be asked permission for the use of their artwork if outside of the scope of the contest or the above mentioned purpose(s).

As Leonard mentioned, the idea of the contest is to have fun, show other people how creative you are, and to try and win something cool in the process. We specifically did not create a lengthy rules and regulations page because we wanted everyone to participate and for the artists to get some props from the community.

Bottom line is that Alienware and CG Networks want this contest to be interesting, challenging, and above all, FUN!

Cheers and good luck to everyone!
Erik Cubbage
Director, Workstation Platforms
Alienware Corporation

Koekebakker
11-26-2003, 04:58 PM
Hello,

a small, yet essential question for me; the term "inexistent" is a bit unclear to me. Does it mean 'does not exist at the moment' or 'does not and has never existed at all'? I'm thinking about "alien-fossile"-like subjects in my scene, and want to know if it's ok if it shows that there has been some kind of life in that particular world.

sad
11-28-2003, 02:37 AM
i´m fighting with my concept scetches and after re-reading the rules i´m quite confused. the rules say that 'there was some creation' and i don´t know what you mean by that. is there to be some buildings which are sorta machines, factory, halls etc.?

so the surroundings i show needs to implicate that it was built up by some intelligent lifeform but has to be empty/not in use, the work is paused, nobody there...? an empty city or so?

it is not supposed to create just a landscape with uncommon things?

please help me, i´m stuck with those issues!

btw. has there been some wipeout of inactive contestants? i cannot find my thread here but have joined the challenge via the cgnetworks page (my thread used to be here some day). i have been busy so i haven´t started to work.

thanks in advance!

jaygee
11-28-2003, 05:07 AM
hmm... it says "The location seems unpopulated, but not necessarily abandoned or neglected, nor rusting or decaying, but life forms are inexistent."

i think this sentence gives a LOT of artisitic freedom - "not necessarily" in particular. from that im assuming that buildings are ok but just no lifeforms... but the difficulty is making in look like it is abandoned etc... hmm... i dunno but i might take part in this competition to try and win a coffee mug. :beer:

btw way im new here. HI!!! :applause: :applause: :applause:

Noldomire
11-28-2003, 07:34 AM
one thing surprises me... some time ago i've posted a question in this FAQ and there's still no reply, so i'll just repeat it:

who is responsible for the delivery of the main reward?
i mean: if the winner lives in Japan, New Zeland, South Africa or Poland, then who will pay for transporting this beautiful workstatnion?

Leonard
12-03-2003, 10:59 PM
Alienware will take care of the delivery, but you may have to pay any taxes (e.g. in Australia we have to pay for Goods and Services tax which is 10%). This is outside of Alienware's control.

L.

Qwotto.
12-14-2003, 03:09 PM
Hi, I get the impression that the artist's interpritation of the concept can be quite open, but I was wondering if it is acceptable to create an alien landscape which contains buildings.

hyperealism2003
12-19-2003, 05:56 PM
Hello All!

Just curious about somthing!

Are the milstones judged for the final score?

Concept Sketch - JPG (online)
Modeling - JPG (online)
Texturing - JPG (online)
Lighting - JPG (online)
Rendering - JPG (online)
Post Effects and Compositing, JPG (online)
Final Image - JPG (online) AND TIF (FTP)

I just wanted to know how much of a percentage of the final score each milestone consists of?

Are they judging each piece submited? I did not spend alot of time on my concept art work, so I could just focus on the final piece.

Are the artists that did matte paintings going to do better on the final score?

Thanks,
Tye
:buttrock:

Leonard
12-21-2003, 07:51 AM
Hi,

Judging will only be on the final image. The milestones are required as this challenge is a Work in Progress challenge, where contestants must provide their work in progress shots so that others can learn, critique or share ideas. This is not a deathmatch tournament, it's meant to facilitate learning and building up the community.

As mentioned before, a significant component of judging will be "community interaction", so artists who hold their work in progress shots till just before the deadline will be penalized there.

Hope that answers the question. Apologies if it takes a while for me to get onto the FAQ as we're all on break right now.

Thanks

L.

swadepgh
12-23-2003, 07:03 AM
Will we be allowed to submit our Alienware entries for Expose 2 consideration?

mrman
12-26-2003, 06:59 AM
While I understand that this is a "WIP"contest BUT, there is a 6000 prise at the end of the tunnel. How can we be sure that our images and ideas arent ripped off? Afterall this is a contest. I say let the people who want to benefit from the WIP to do so after the contest has been decided. Personaly I just found out about htis contest , so regretably I doubt I'll be able to post anything soon. The other thing is that there seems to be some contradiction here. If we are being judged for the final image...then why should tghe WIP matter for judging? Reguardless I would love to have someone answer this. Thanks!!

Cullen
12-28-2003, 08:42 PM
mrman... to answer your questions.

"how can we be sure that our images and ideas arent ripped off?"

You cant. You never can be sure. People could be ripping stuff off now that isn't even part of the contest. You just need to make sure you do better than everyone. Of course, if everyone tries that strategy than only one person will succeed.

"I say let the people who want to benefit from the WIP to do so after the contest has been decided"

That defeates the purpose. That would be a "this is how I did this". Work in progress is great. People can offer you ideas and suguestions, C & C. I have been given tonnes of helpful words by other cg artists on this contest. nobody has been misleading so they themselves could win.
Besides... as mentioned before somewhere... people who don't enter until the last minute (if they were alowed) would have an unfair advantage over the people that are doing the right thing.

"If we are being judged for the final image...then why should tghe WIP matter for judging?"

Leonard answered that a a couple of posts ago.... "The milestones are required as this challenge is a Work in Progress challenge"

I hope this helps.

Aurorae
12-31-2003, 04:22 PM
Is there a minimum age limit for this competition?

You say about the community interaction, say for example, someone who entered the competiton from the 20th october, will there be much difference in points as to someone who entered now?

How late could you leave it without being penalized hugely?

Thanks for your time :)

Leonard
01-01-2004, 12:16 AM
Hi all,

Happy holidays!

1. Will we be allowed to enter the entries for EXPOSE' 2 consideration?
Absolutely - yes, please do.

2. Is there a minimum age for entering?
No.

3. How late can you leave your entries without being penalized?
You can enter as late as you want, but you will be disadvantaged due to time constraints.

4. Ripping off and Work-in-Progress requirements.
Cullen's response was on the mark.
The primary purpose of this Challenge is to have a bit of fun, learn in the process and giveaway some cool prizes as an incentive.

Cheers,

Leonard

eshiu
01-02-2004, 05:55 PM
I Really would appreciate it if this could get cleared up. I'm planning to model texture and light the lanscape but In my piece there's a lot of clouds that I'm planning to composit in in photoshop. What constitutes "the majority done in 3d"? How do we find that balance? I really dont wanna put all that time into it and find that I have been disqualified because I decided to paint the clouds and not use fluids or something. If you have any questions on what my piece looks like, it's posted both here and in the 2d forum. Thanks!

Leonard
01-02-2004, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by eshiu
I Really would appreciate it if this could get cleared up. I'm planning to model texture and light the lanscape but In my piece there's a lot of clouds that I'm planning to composit in in photoshop. What constitutes "the majority done in 3d"? How do we find that balance? I really dont wanna put all that time into it and find that I have been disqualified because I decided to paint the clouds and not use fluids or something. If you have any questions on what my piece looks like, it's posted both here and in the 2d forum. Thanks!

Hi Eshiu,

Painting the clouds is fine! Many would do the same.

Leonard

eshiu
01-04-2004, 09:06 AM
sorry to be a pain.....In my piece there's a lot of atmosphere, smoke and clouds. For a still I would model and texture everything light it up and then paint on top of that. Would this constiute too many 2d? Also someone told me that the horizantal format is not aloowed or no good....is this true? Any help you can give me will be awesome!thanks!

Aurorae
01-04-2004, 10:20 AM
It says in the rules that as a guideline, it should be portrait, so that Alienware can print the piece on a poster.

Though I dont think youll be disqualified for a horizontal piece, I think portrait is preffered.

eshiu
01-04-2004, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by eshiu
sorry to be a pain.....In my piece there's a lot of atmosphere, smoke and clouds. For a still I would model and texture everything light it up and then paint on top of that. Would this constiute too many 2d? Also someone told me that the horizantal format is not aloowed or no good....is this true? Any help you can give me will be awesome!thanks!

can someone give me a difiniative answer? Thanks!

RKurczewski
01-08-2004, 07:38 AM
A quick one. I do not separate my workflow exactly as in given milestones so for exaple I do not separate lighting from rendering , I do not plan to use postproduction at all this time etc... Does fact that I'll not have all stages specified (even if every step of image creation is clearly displayed) makes my entry invalid ?

Leonard
01-08-2004, 11:26 AM
You need to have all your milestones submitted. If one is not uploaded, your entry will not go through to judging. You need to at least show a lighting phase where perhaps you upload a wireframe showing light placements. At the very least, something.

Milestones will not be judged, but they need to exist in the system or the final entry will not go to judging.

eshiu
01-08-2004, 05:53 PM
Leonard,

It would be really useful to know how much 2d is too much 2d. Fro example I would model the env roughly , texture it roughly, light it anf then bring it into PS to fix what wasn't right and to put in the effects and clouds. Would that constitute as too much 2d? Whats the balance?

Leonard
01-08-2004, 09:04 PM
The bulk of the image needs to have been rendered in 3D. As in, solid objects, etc. that you'd expect to be in 3D should be renderered in 3D. Things such as backgrounds, skies, clouds, etc. can be painted on or fixed up in post.

There is no exact balance between 2D and 3D. The judges will be voting based on artistic merit and may also take a look at your WIP's to see how you produced the image.

Cheers,

Leonard

imscifi
01-14-2004, 01:50 AM
Hmm where to start on questions...

I've got a question about the final presentation? I know some people have been presenting their work with the Alienware logo and a nice border around their image... does this matter in the end result? I know presentation is important... but does it count in this contest?

Also, about submitting images for the texturing and lighting... I'm still not sure what you all want. Do you want a wire frame? A screen shot showing where the lights are? Sorry, this probably seems assinine... but I'm just trying to make sure I submit things correctly.

Thanks for you time!

Barry

swadepgh
01-14-2004, 03:51 AM
Will we receive an email notification once we submit our final image to confirm that it went through ok?

Defonten
01-15-2004, 12:17 PM
Hi Leonard, afraid of being annoying but I'm still worried about Landscape/Portrait problem.. Unfortunately I noticed it too late. I just would like to know would it influence final judgement ? I surely can reposition my composition ..but it would definitely ruin it cuz from the very start i imagined it widescreen. It's my fault. Thanks in advance Leonard :)

Leonard
01-15-2004, 12:37 PM
It doesn't matter about the aspect ratio. It was just a suggestion to people. The judges will not "mark down" on horizontal art.

L.

imscifi
01-15-2004, 12:50 PM
Uh, hi. could you just take a sec, and answer my two qestions Yoda (Leonard)... oh and nice avitar :thumbsup:

Originally posted by imscifi
Hmm where to start on questions...

I've got a question about the final presentation? I know some people have been presenting their work with the Alienware logo and a nice border around their image... does this matter in the end result? I know presentation is important... but does it count in this contest?

Also, about submitting images for the texturing and lighting... I'm still not sure what you all want. Do you want a wire frame? A screen shot showing where the lights are? Sorry, this probably seems assinine... but I'm just trying to make sure I submit things correctly.

Thanks for you time!

Barry

B.

Leonard
01-15-2004, 12:59 PM
Hi

1. Logo -
We'd prefer it if your final image DID NOT have any logos on it.

Q: Also, about submitting images for the texturing and lighting... I'm still not sure what you all want. Do you want a wire frame? A screen shot showing where the lights are? Sorry, this probably seems assinine... but I'm just trying to make sure I submit things correctly.

A: Wireframe - yes
screenshot - yes

Cheers

L.

imscifi
01-15-2004, 02:56 PM
Thanks Leonard!

:wavey:

B.

Defonten
01-15-2004, 03:33 PM
Thanks for clearing that up, Leonard :)

smok3
01-15-2004, 10:43 PM
ok, my render is using procedural textures for the displacement maps, but i read just now that:
------------------------------
Q. Are terrain generators allowed?
A. Yes. As long as it is not the prominent feature of the artwork, it is allowed. E.g. backdrop mountain

vistas... you cannot use terrain generators or other parametric software model generators to create the primary subject matters.
------------------------------
would that mean that there is no chance that my image gets validated?

swadepgh
01-15-2004, 10:55 PM
Should we expect a confirmation after uploading our image? I uploaded my final image via ftp a couple of days ago and have not received any sort of confirmation.

:shrug:

Leonard
01-16-2004, 12:17 AM
1. Terrain generator - if it's the backdrop or something not prominent, it's ok. It you used it to create most of the image (50% or more) then no it's not ok.

2. Email confirmation. We're working on it. PLease email robert@ballisticmedia.net to confirm.

L.

Valden
01-16-2004, 11:53 AM
Is it allowed,to propose the final image to the expose contest?

Leonard
01-16-2004, 12:54 PM
This has been answered before - YES. Send your image for EXPOSE' consideration (remove the Alienware logos)

L.

Roach01
01-18-2004, 09:23 PM
Hi Leonard.
Getting my entry finished up for submission and was kinda' wonderin'.
It says please put some thought behind your image and
your story.
Where do we post the story behind the picture we submit?
I was gunna' post it with the final web image.
Is that acceptable?
Thanks for your help and the great contest.

hyperealism2003
01-18-2004, 10:15 PM
Hello all!

Can someone help me?

3636 X 2657 at 300 dpi is 15150 x 11071 is that right?

I can't render this large?

Need answers quick!

Am I going to have to render each piece and composite all of them together in photoshop?

That's insane!
:cry:

Leonard
01-18-2004, 10:30 PM
No.

3636 X 2657 at 300 dpi is 3636 X 2657

3636 X 2657 at 72 dpi is 3636 X 2657

It's the same. The DPI resolution only comes into effect when you want to print.

Leonard

hyperealism2003
01-19-2004, 03:01 AM
Ok, ....that sounded insaine!:applause:

Mibus
01-20-2004, 05:29 AM
Confirmations won't be emailed out, what you should do is check:
http://cgnetworks.com/alienware/final_image.php

If you have issues, email me (robert at ballisticmedia.net).

I've set the *FTP* (TIF) uploads to stop working 36 hours after the web (JPG) uploads stop.

As for PHP uploads:
Unfortunately, PHP-based uploads are no good for the multi-MB files that the TIFs will probably be. FTP uploads are a bit messy, but are the best way for us.

Mibus
01-20-2004, 05:33 AM
FWIW:
17.4 hours remaining.
1517 total challengers
91 web-based final images
86 final ZIPs uploaded (of which 7 have been previewed)

Good luck everyone!

cucaracha
01-20-2004, 03:01 PM
there's a new folder on the FTP, called "Finals" - should I put my *.zip into that one too??

cu

chach
01-20-2004, 03:01 PM
I hastily selected my milestones while uploading. A few of the images' milestone labels are incorrect. I changed them in my thread by using the 'edit' option. How can I have those changes reflected in the 'latest entries' version of the thread? If I can't, will that effect judging?
Thanks L
jesse

opus13
01-20-2004, 10:37 PM
man... what is alienmware going to do about the grand prize?

it specifies dual 3.2ghz, 2mb, cache, 800mhz fsb xeon processors! they arent even out yet, and intel is mum on the release date... actually it doesnt even look like they are in the works any more now that "prescott" processors are looming near.

whats the plan? a 'trade-in-when-they-arrive' deal?

ark_cid
01-21-2004, 12:16 AM
Again...

I understand milestones should be already for the complete entry and has a chance that Tiff image can be uploaded 36 hours after dead line.

Can I do small changes to this tiff image?.

Or, does it must be exactly the same than the uploaded jpeg final image?.

imscifi
01-21-2004, 12:56 AM
Ok. I feel like a complete moron. I didn't realize that when submitting the Final I had to submit it at two different places. I "officially" never put up my final as per the "rules". I did however ftp "both" images. And my Post Rendering and Compositing is my final image as well.

So basicly does this mean I am disqualified? Because I didn't meet the miles stone? Though, I did, but missunderstood?

Thanks,

Barry

Roach01
01-21-2004, 02:46 AM
Gee Barry, me too.
Forgot the time zone difference actually, so just missed uploading the web final.
Maybe they will have pity on us and still let us be judged.
Crosses fingers.:cry:

leigh
01-21-2004, 03:01 AM
Sorry about the time zone mixup guys.

No more entries from here on though, please...

Thanks!

Psotek
01-21-2004, 05:15 AM
When does judging start?

Bartosz

Mibus
01-21-2004, 05:30 AM
Soonish :-)

We're probably looking at allowing the community voting to start sometime next week.

(Though it's not set in stone, or even a solid jelly, so don't hold me to that! ;) )

Roach01
01-21-2004, 05:41 AM
Many thanks Leigh.

vrf
01-21-2004, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Leigh
Sorry about the time zone mixup guys.

No more entries from here on though, please...

Thanks!

Thanks, Leigh. Does this mean that my final entries were posted? I e-mailed them to the CGTalk webmaster, but didn't get a reply. I sent them over e-mail because the contest engine said it was too late to submit entries, even though the 20th was not over yet. (In US rocky-mountain time, and west coast time.)

(This is a bit amusing to me, cause you'd think that the one time zone that would have the most "CG professionals" interested in this kind of contest would be in California--the very place that didn't get the full "end of the 20th" deadline).

Thanks for all the hard work, though, Leigh and the rest of the CGtalk folks. My final tif is still being ftpd, in case my final entries were received in time.

imscifi
01-21-2004, 11:38 AM
THANKS!!!! :D

iv4n
01-21-2004, 12:10 PM
I had no time to upload my final image, now is finished, where can I expose it?
thanks.

Silencer1M
01-21-2004, 05:00 PM
Hi,
Can we still upload tiff's if they are just slightley different from the ones already uploaded?
What about the online final jpegs, do they have to be exactely like the tiffs?

Thanks

leigh
01-21-2004, 05:07 PM
vrf, I didn't receive your images... (I am the webmaster). That's a bit strange. The deadline was GMT midnight, but a few people made the mistake of forgetting about time zones. I'll speak to our tech guy and see if he received your entry.

To everyone else, no more TIFs or Jpegs can be submitted. The contest is closed.

iv4n
01-21-2004, 05:32 PM
HI,
I do all the steps,
how do I know Im partisipating correctly? I finished it yesterday, copy the zip archive to de ftp.cgnetworks.com. ..... I dont recive confirmation, the final image.jpg ?
thanks to all1

konobi
01-21-2004, 08:15 PM
i am new to this forum as u can tell, actually i have not done any serious 3d in over a year, i need a project to start me off again but see that your contest has just ended, my question is will there be another one and if so how soon will it be starting, hope it is soon

MirageGraphics
01-22-2004, 01:26 AM
OK, my turn to add to the list of "what's happening here."
I uploaded my images last weekend, thinking that I was beating the rush. I just learned today that we can check if the upload worked by logging on to our account page. There was nothing there. When I checked the FTP site on Monday, my image was there, I could see it with about 50 others. But, it never got posted to my final image page. Now what?
I had it done in time:cry:

MirageGraphics

vrf
01-22-2004, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by Leigh
vrf, I didn't receive your images... (I am the webmaster). That's a bit strange. The deadline was GMT midnight, but a few people made the mistake of forgetting about time zones. I'll speak to our tech guy and see if he received your entry.

To everyone else, no more TIFs or Jpegs can be submitted. The contest is closed.

Leigh,

Thanks for the reply. And thanks for helping me to get my entries into the system. I forwarded the e-mail to the webmaster address again, in case you can't find the first one. (Hope your address isn't rejecting attachments...)

I think my final tiff upload was successful, although I don't know how to confirm it. This was really a fun competition. Thanks for all of your work.

Vance

Edit: I just thought of something. Maybe your e-mail server is rejecting my address because it comes from a server in Asia. I know some servers are set up to do this because of all of the spam mail from this part of the world. (But that doesn't make a lot of sense, since CG talk is such an international community. Might be worth checking on though, if it's rejecting addresses from Taiwan or China.)

MirageGraphics
01-22-2004, 03:45 AM
OK, one more stupid question. It says not to compress the TIFF file, but that we should zip it. Just to clarify, under the save properties of the TIFF format there is an option for ZIP. Should we just use that or are we supposed to use WINZIP and zip the file into a zipped file? Neither seem to be uploading correctly at this point. I thought I had it right the first time.
Anyone??
MirageGraphics

hyperealism2003
01-22-2004, 04:16 AM
I am going to try ing to up load mine soon...

Damn I hope I dont have the same problems...

:rolleyes:

leigh
01-22-2004, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by vrf
Leigh,

Thanks for the reply. And thanks for helping me to get my entries into the system. I forwarded the e-mail to the webmaster address again, in case you can't find the first one. (Hope your address isn't rejecting attachments...)

I got the second email and forwarded it off to Robert ;)
Thanks!

To all other people, there is no point is continuing to upload your entries... the contest is over.

MirageGraphics
01-22-2004, 07:03 PM
Leigh,
How can we find out if our finals made it to the FTP sever. My final jpg is on the website, but I could never get the preview from the FTP site to work. It said it uploaded, though.
Well there come a day when the judges look to the final jpg's and then when they can't find the tiff, they'll try and track it down?
just curious.
MirageGraphics

leigh
01-22-2004, 07:07 PM
MirageGraphics, if it says it went through then it probably did :)

If we encounter problems with missing images we'll have no choice but to track them down!

MirageGraphics
01-22-2004, 07:10 PM
Thanks, now I can sleep knowing my work of love will be seen!!
Thanks again for such a great contest, can't wait for the judging!
MirageGraphics.

Mibus
01-23-2004, 12:50 AM
Here's the deal:

- If you couldn't see the entries on the FTP site, it's because you weren't supposed to, and you being able to see them earlier was a mistake (oops *blush*).

- If you got a PHP error about access denied, that was caused by me fixing the previous point (doh!).

- Both are now fixed and rectified, so head on over to the updated Final Image page, log in, and check it yourself.
( http://cgnetworks.com/alienware/final_image.php )

vrf
01-23-2004, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by Mibus
Here's the deal:

- If you couldn't see the entries on the FTP site, it's because you weren't supposed to, and you being able to see them earlier was a mistake (oops *blush*).

- If you got a PHP error about access denied, that was caused by me fixing the previous point (doh!).

- Both are now fixed and rectified, so head on over to the updated Final Image page, log in, and check it yourself.
( http://cgnetworks.com/alienware/final_image.php )

Thanks for the help, Mibus! It says my image "appeared" to be uploaded, and then shows a picture. (I don't suppose that I should be concerned that the confirmation picture is black and white, and looks weirdly stretched, should I?)

Mibus
01-23-2004, 01:48 AM
That is because you have five samples per pixel for some reason. We've had similar problems with EXPOSE' entries before.

RGB = 3 samples per pixel.
RGBA = 4 samples per pixel.

Everybody should *please* try and make sure you only submit images with three samples per pixel! Collapse layers, remove extra channels, etc.

vrf: I'll email you details for another image upload so you can upload a fixed image.

Pyke
01-23-2004, 04:53 AM
When the final voting starts, where would the voting page be? or will that only be announced later..?

Mibus
01-23-2004, 05:01 AM
It'll be at CGNetworks, in the same directory as the rest of the alienware challenge was.

The full URL will be released once voting is actually ready to commence. (We have a few things we need to check before voting can go live, like making sure everybody has submitted all milestones, etc.).

eska
01-23-2004, 07:07 AM
Thanks for evefything.
Best
Suzana

Mibus
01-23-2004, 07:19 AM
When voting, people will have the chance to view small medium and large images. They will not, however, get the chance to view the TIFF images. (I'm talking about CGTalk member voting here, I don't know what is going to be in place for the rest of the judging).

The scaled image you see when you check the TIFF upload will *not* be shown at any point, it is merely for your own reference in checking that the upload was successful.

Psotek
01-23-2004, 07:24 AM
Read here (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=96093&goto=newpost).

eska
01-23-2004, 07:28 AM
Thank you so much!

I thank you so much for answering so promptly.
It is more than obvious that you do your job more than excellent.
I thank you also for being so nice to us,
small dreamers, and always very helpfull.
I wish you a great day and many more.
Best of the best
Suzana

eska
01-23-2004, 12:21 PM
Hi Mibus

A very serious mistake is happened.
You have put the WRONG picture for voting out.
This is very bad, a dicreased ingreat part my chances.
Please, change this as soon as possible.
This is not fair
Suzana Kilic

iv4n
01-23-2004, 12:32 PM
When voting, people will have the chance to view small medium and large images. They will not, however, get the chance to view the TIFF images. (I'm talking about CGTalk member voting here, I don't know what is going to be in place for the rest of the judging).

The scaled image you see when you check the TIFF upload will *not* be shown at any point, it is merely for your own reference in checking that the upload was successful.

SO WHAT CAN I DO IF THERE IS NOT MY JPG FINAL IMAGE, JUST MY TIFF????

see them here: (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=1099187#post1099187)

RKurczewski
01-23-2004, 12:34 PM
Sorry guys but there is one thing I do not understand. Contest is supposed to be finished on 20th of january. Just to meet a deadline I've been forced to remove parts of my image because I would not been able to finish them in time. Now- we have 23rd of January and still new entries are allowed, there is no info about deadline change... what's going on ? If there is some more time I'd like to know so I can benefit from it as well and if challenge is closed maybe some kind of summary or info can appear summing up entire thing ?

No, I do not expect to win. I just want to know - after all I've sacrificed three months of my free time to participate...

eska
01-23-2004, 12:58 PM
Hallo, is here somebody

People have in the most important time questions and NOBODY is answering.
Voting started already while mistakes have been still on the screen. Can you please explane this mistake.
Wrong pictures are posted on the front ( so is mines).
People can still post tiff's allthouse "formaly"it was finished after 36H later.
This is a total mess.
Under this cyrcumstances the voting
should be done again.

Please if you can now as this are the most important problems what we facing now.
Thanks

Mibus
01-23-2004, 01:34 PM
iv4n: It was made clear earlier that the final image should be submitted as a TIFF (via FTP) and as a JPEG (via the website)... I've just checked, you have submitted a "Final Image" milestone, even though the description attatched to it don't seem to indicate that it's finished:
http://cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/3/1510/1510_1074505032_large.jpg
(from:
http://cgnetworks.com/alienware/viewentries.php?challenge_id=3&challenger=1510
)

_RK_: The contest finished on the end of the 20th, GMT. FTP was open for about another 42 hours (it was closed manually a few hours after the "official" deadline). New entries are *not* being accepted... Leigh and I have helped a couple of people who have had problems uploading, or people who were out by a small time difference on the timezone change, but we are *not* accepting new entries. (The apparent delay is partly an issue of time zones, and partly an issue of how many emails Leigh and I have had to respond to!)

eska: Voting was started accidentally, it wasn't supposed to go live until the entries had been manually verified. (eg. checking people have submitted all required milestones, TIF uploads were successful, etc). Voting should be restarted some time in the next week, with scores reset to zero. Don't worry about it :). A few issues with the thumbnail page (missing or wrong images) have been fixed too.

eska
01-23-2004, 01:45 PM
Hopefully everything will function.

I thank you very much for unknowledging the problems.
And that tumbnails (including mines)will be corrected too.
I thank you very much again, for prompt respond and flexibility.
If have a problem, I will contact you again.
Best
Suzana

TheFirstAngel
01-23-2004, 04:44 PM
When all is there I think and fixed, voting will start when its ready.
Let's get some rest after that storm. :)!!!:bounce: :beer: :bounce:

chach
01-23-2004, 04:53 PM
I submitted this question earlier, but it was not addressed: "I hastily selected my milestones while uploading. A few of the images' milestone labels are incorrect. I changed them in my thread by using the 'edit' option. How can I have those changes reflected in the 'latest entries' version of the thread? If I can't, will that effect judging?"
Even though I submitted a final image, that milestone doesn't show up on the 'view entries' page.

I just went to the voting page and I don't see my image. What happened?

thanx

eska
01-23-2004, 05:16 PM
Angel

Why do you du this???????
The vote is NOT OPEN
YOR NOT FAIR.
Mibus clearly said this is not the bcase just 2 posts ago.

iv4n
01-23-2004, 05:52 PM
now I understand all, but I dont submit my final jpg image because I have a mistake uploaded these image , and when I try to upload the final image, there was oroblems to upload, can you replace the image by the compositing I uploaded?, or by the php from my TIFF you get??
THANKS, and sorry, ...my english ....jejeje

hyperealism2003
01-23-2004, 05:53 PM
1. Why does it start with the hiest voters? Everyone is going to vote for them first....messed up

2. I dont understand why there is no desrpition of how to vote based on the instructions given for the contest.

You are standing on some unknown alien setting. This location seems to be whispering to you, you have a feeling that something was created here; maybe even the land itself is alive. The location seems unpopulated, but not necessarily abandoned or neglected, nor rusting or decaying, but life forms are inexistent. The location where you stand seems to be moving and it is difficult to comprehend its function or intent. The surfaces and materials that surround you are nothing like you have ever seen before. The design and layout of the location defies logic or the laws of physics, though only slightly, it seems that reality here is somewhat obscure. You feel a sense of grandness and awe, your breath is coming in short tight gasps from witnessing this alien phenomenon as it starts to overwhelm you. You cry out, "Is anyone there?"

3. Why are there no links to vote from cgnetwoks.com

:rolleyes:

imscifi
01-23-2004, 06:47 PM
Hey guys and gals, chill. I'm sure there's an explanation as to what is going on... to be quite honest, I'm not proceding until one of the moderators says we can vote. I'm figuring that they got another glitch. Being a former programmer, stuff like this can happen... I don't personally know what's going on. But I'm sure there is an explanation, to everyone's questions. I'm just using logic for this thought. Don't panic.

and Eska, don't pull out of the competition! :sad:

Heck I'm still looking at all the entries... I'm not voting on the one everyone else likes, I'm voting on the one "I" like.

chrish
01-23-2004, 06:58 PM
how is it that the1st_angel
knew where to vote before everyone else did,

Whats going on Guys

we all workd so hard for this. and its like thier are some things that shouldnt happen, personally./ I think that when the contest is over its over... thats part of it.. watching the time zones to make shure you enter correctly for one. duh cummon
is that part of the rules, gota follow the rules, Im shure thier are alot of upset people floating around.

:buttrock:

chrish

View My Alien World (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=113220&perpage=15&pagenumber=3)
:love:

Pufferfish
01-23-2004, 07:05 PM
There was a plug on front page, but it was taken down because of some problems with some images not showing.

Everyone just relax now! All will be fixed.

Psotek
01-23-2004, 07:11 PM
*tisk tisk tisk*... not very professional of you guys. If you are going to lead a challenge, lead it right.

Bartosz

chrish
01-23-2004, 07:12 PM
so what are the constitutions for voting,

here is a good point from

hyperealism2003

2. I dont understand why there is no desrpition of how to vote based on the instructions given for the contest.

mainly saying, voting should be based on several things which are listed in the contest rules

maybe this should be clairifyd

:thumbsup:
chrish

chrish
01-23-2004, 07:40 PM
yea basically

chrish:beer:

TheFirstAngel
01-23-2004, 07:41 PM
VOTING!

To stop confusion, I tought i'd post this here, this is latest information,Pufferfish wrote me this a few sec's ago as pm and i asked him to post this in my tread!

Please read:

Hi there,
I wish this makes some issues more clear to everyone.

The voting opened lastnight, it was plugged on front page of CGTALK forums. Everyone rushed to vote.

I was in the CGTALK IRC at the same time, then someone said that not all work is showing and mine was also missing with some others.

Leigh was there at the time and she instantly took the plug down from the front page.

She informed me that all problems will be fixed and votes will be reset to ZERO.

I think this would be good to put up on somewhere, cause ppl are still thinking that the voting is going and they have not told to anyone. There was a plug, but it was taken down due to minor problem with images not showing.

Hope this helps you all, everything is ok. NO worries mates, things will start nicely from the scratch

Good luck to you!

I hope this helps

imscifi
01-23-2004, 08:03 PM
BWAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

sorry, I just find it funny how eska has posted in just about every place possible... :D (I think we got the point ;) )

You all are too funny!

:applause:

imscifi
01-23-2004, 08:04 PM
no offense eska, I just found it funny! :thumbsup:

eska
01-23-2004, 08:05 PM
You are also funny.......................

imscifi
01-23-2004, 08:06 PM
;)

:D

Powell
01-23-2004, 08:10 PM
WOW!...lets stop freaking out..(eska) and let the admins handle it...Im sure that it is all under control and will be handled correctly.....mistakes do happen....sheesh!

eska
01-23-2004, 08:18 PM
There was suddenly a wrong information on the web, and final images have been messed up, and other things. So when I checked, the voting just simply went on. My thumbnail was wrong for long time.
Right information was again given at some place, other places not. So, I have done what I could, and wrong information proved as wrong. So now, I feel much better,and finaly we can just wait.

Best luck to you all.

:wavey:

Psotek
01-23-2004, 08:48 PM
It still caused alot of confusion.

TheFirstAngel
01-23-2004, 09:09 PM
Leigh wrote me and i hope this stops confusion.

Hello,

The voting is being reset. It was an accident that it went live yesterday. The fact that some submissions were missing from the voting pages means that it would be unfair to let the votes that were made count.

Once we sort out all the submissions, and are ready to put the voting up, the voting will be totally resest to zero for everyone.

We would never allow any unfairness!

-Leigh

I hope all calm down and relax. I trust it will be fair and we all will get informed. And if anyone knows news, pls, let all know.
Greets, Peace and Best Luck to you all

hyperealism2003
01-23-2004, 09:12 PM
So, when is voting going to start again? Will we all get an email? Because the only way i found out was by reading the forum. Is that because it leaked out and was not legit?

Are they going to add details about things to look for when voting?

Like "The surfaces and materials are like nothing you have ever seen before".

Glad this is getting cleared up!
I guess... I dont know who to trust. Who is the admin here?

leigh
01-23-2004, 09:14 PM
Why is it that I come here to find a few pages of accusations and insults that we are unfair and unprofessional?

Did anyone even think to contact me before making wild speculations and accusations??

OF COURSE we are resetting the vote. Why wouldn't we???

Voting will be back up on Monday.

TheFirstAngel
01-23-2004, 09:18 PM
hyperealism2003 :
Ask Leigh or Robert. They know. I just tried to share what I know with all the others to be 100% fair, always.
Alright?

TheFirstAngel
01-23-2004, 09:20 PM
Monday? Alright, thanks Leigh!:thumbsup:

Psotek
01-23-2004, 09:52 PM
Leigh:

The fact that you are reseting the voting is perfectly OK and it should be done anyways. But you guys "accidentaly" released it to the public? Eek... some questions still remain. How did some of the people get the link? How come it is still up? Why do we have to wait until monday? I heard everything is working fine now, so why till monday? Just a few questions.

Bartosz

Psotek
01-23-2004, 09:54 PM
Oh and just to clear things up, I said "unprofessional" to the fact that it was released, not to the fact that it hadn't been reset yet. I knew you were going to reset it, otherwise it would totally be skewed.

Bartosz

leigh
01-23-2004, 10:08 PM
Bartosz, it was my fault. I didn't realise that the entries had not been checked yet, and so I posted the link to the voting site here on CGTalk. The post with the link remained on the forum for about 30 minutes, during which time it came to our attention that some entries were missing. I then promptly removed the thread with the link and posted an apology for the mistake.

Voting is not going on right now. The reason why we have to wait until Monday is because we are currently going through all the entries, making sure everything is 100% correct, and ensuring that all people who have submitted final images have also met the other necessary criteria.

It was an honest human mistake, and I have apologised for it.

Psotek
01-23-2004, 10:14 PM
You posted a message saying so? WTF, why is everyone so confused then?

I realize it was a mistake, and I dont really care as long as the show goes on. I didnt even know you posted a message saying what happened. I guess we were all just very confused (including yourself I see... ;) )

Anyways, monday it is.
Ciao for now.

Bartosz

hyperealism2003
01-23-2004, 10:16 PM
Leigh,

Hi,

Is that how the final judging will be done?

Are they going to add details about things to look for when voting?

Like "The surfaces and materials are like nothing you have ever seen before".

There are rules right?

leigh
01-23-2004, 10:36 PM
hyperealism2003, the voting will go as such:

The public voting will remain live for a few days.

Once that is done, the top 50% of the public votes will proceed to a second judging phase, during which time a private jury of artists will judge the entries based purely on technique and also how well they used the rules of the contest - basically, this jury will make judgements on the quality of the images, and how closely they followed the guidelines.

Then the entries that are determined to be the best of that lot will be judged by a panel of individuals from Alienware, who will make the final judgements based on the actual theme of the contest.

hyperealism2003
01-23-2004, 11:06 PM
So online voting will not have any explanation on how to vote because of rule stipulations?

Ok, so it is just how nice you think it looks?

I based everything I created on the instructions provided. I think people should know that and that makes it more of a challenge.

Oh well...:shrug:

miketche
01-23-2004, 11:13 PM
I think a majority of all the entries fit right in with the contest description. It's how each artist interpreted it. I think it all good.:buttrock:

leigh
01-23-2004, 11:32 PM
So online voting will not have any explanation on how to vote because of rule stipulations?

The sad fact is that the general public couldn't care less as to whether or not images abided by the rules or not. They vote for eye candy.

It's up to the private panel of judges and Alienware to decide which images actually followed the rules.

hyperealism2003
01-23-2004, 11:33 PM
Well, I think there are a lot of cliché designs that I avioded creating because of the contest rules. Know what I mean...

"you’re trying to achieve is something never seen or experienced before"

Whatever I am done crying...

Good luck!:beer:

JamesMK
01-23-2004, 11:40 PM
We've all had three months to create our stuff without any disturbances. That time is up, and we only need to sit back and wait while the challenge admins, the jury and the AW representatives 'do their thang'... If anything goes wrong, they'll fix it - no worries.

Soon enough a few challengers will happily walk away with some kind of prize. That's it.

It'll work out just fine. Just relax and take a breather everyone! You'll need your rest until the next challenge starts! w00t.

eska
01-23-2004, 11:48 PM
Don't cry hyperrealism, this is not the end of the world.

You know, I was the most criticizing the organizers, but know, I am starting to be confident again.
Just give them a chance, as they are giving us one.
And observe.
Check your voting page before monday
to see if everything is OK.
Best luck
Eska

imscifi
01-24-2004, 12:08 AM
Wow... it was stated correctly before... gotta kiss ass... great stuff guys... sorry to hear what Leigh said about how things are voted on.. That was not made clear... thanks everyone for participating... congrats to whoever kissed ass most... Sorry, I'm not into getting my nose brown for anyone. Just who I am... I believe in great art... not in a popularity contest... sorry, if that is the case about judging... Please, officially remove my entry. I'm sorry, it goes against my belief and integrity as an artist... I'm sorry.

Good luck to all!

:thumbsup:

Sincerely,

Barry Hicks

leigh
01-24-2004, 12:43 AM
imscifi - Perhaps you misunderstood what I meant. By all means, I wish that people would vote for images according to their abiding by the guidelines we stipulated. After all that is the whole point.

We will be putting the guidelines up on the voting page and encouraging people to bear them in mind when placing votes, but at the end of the day we cannot force people to only vote for images according to those rules. It's like a general election - people vote for who they like, and not necessarily for the best and most deserving individuals ;)

That is why once the public voting is done, a panel of judges actually strictly judges the entries according to those rules. That way we ensure that the winners are indeed the people who produced the best and most deserving pieces.

I got your PM. I hope that you reconsider withdrawing, because I don't understand your reasons for leaving. There is no "ass kissing" here.

imscifi
01-24-2004, 12:57 AM
Leigh, sorry for the "ass kissing" remark. :blush:

I made my decision. Understand, that when half the of the entries are eliminated by "popularity" decision before going on to the final unbiased panel judgment, that there is no way "we ensure that the winners are indeed the people who produced the best and most deserving pieces". I do honestly wish everyone the best of luck... I have seen some fantastic imagery and ideas from this contest. As I stated to someone recently, it’s just my "religion", not anyone else’s. I stand for my beliefs and integrity. I understand the politics of life. I walk my own path, and do so justly. Like I said... best of luck to all. Thank you again, I had a great time!

Sincerely,

Barry Hicks

:D

CLONEOPS
01-24-2004, 12:13 PM
its Cgnet Survivor Island!
i wanna be rudy and walk around nikked......

MirageGraphics
01-24-2004, 02:15 PM
I think we need to give people a little more credit in determining what is "good" and what is not. I can't imagine anyone voting the best pieces out and the weakest ones in. Besides, I'm sure the pro's will go over the list of people who don't make the cut just to make sure no one fell through the cracks.

Have some faith in humanity, man!!
:)

MirageGraphics

centavrus
01-24-2004, 05:12 PM
Hi people:) its funny but i cannt find link to see voting page - please help me:)

Psotek
01-24-2004, 05:50 PM
voting
Hi people its funny but i cannt find link to see voting page - please help me

Centavrus, did you read the thread? There IS no voting until monday.

MirageGraphics
01-24-2004, 06:24 PM
OK, I have a legitimate question about the voting, for Monday.
If there any particular order that the images will appear in. alphabetical, numerical, first one finished first or last one finished first??

I thought I was doing good by finishing mine up on the 16th. But, it has put my image on page 46 or something. How many people will have the patience to go that many pages back? Could it be set up as a thumbnail page without the descriptions next to them - just rows and columns of images so you could just scroll down one page and see them all, then click on any you want to enlarge?

Just wondering.....

MirageGraphics

Mibus
01-24-2004, 11:36 PM
Voting sorting:

Thumbnails are displayed 18 to a page, in three columns. There are *ten* pages. The default sort is descending, by score. There are two other sort options, by name and by username.

Suggestions are welcome, but (especially at this late stage) may not be implemented for this challenge.

Psotek
01-25-2004, 12:14 AM
Mibus is right.

I dont see any other way of doing it. Theres nothing you can really do to make it fair...er. No matter what, there will be a first image, and a last image.

Bartosz

MirageGraphics
01-25-2004, 12:38 AM
No, that's sounds good. I just thought it would be kept like it was for the competition with only 5 or so to a page. Getting 18 on a page is great. I'm glad you guys are so smart. This is a headache I wouldn't want to deal with, but that you guys are handling extremely well.
Can't wait to start the judging!!
MirageGraphics

eska
01-25-2004, 12:49 AM
One question

What is the web page where the voting will take place. The same like the last one?

Thanks in advance.
Eska

Psotek
01-25-2004, 02:48 AM
Eska:

Dont worry about the link, I am pretty sure it will be on the front page starting monday.

Bartosz

eska
01-25-2004, 02:49 AM
Thanks Bartosz

Best luck and hold tight:wavey:

Mibus
01-25-2004, 06:46 AM
You'll be given the URL, but yeah it'll be the same as before. It's *possible* it won't be Monday but Tuesday (Monday is a public holiday here, oops!) but I'll try for Monday anyway.

Leigh will make sure it's appropriately plugged :-D

Thanks for the encouragement guys; this challenge has improved because of you, and the next one can only be better ;-)

A lot of the confusion that has been around (timezones, "Final Image" milestones, etc.) is helping us make the rules and software for the next challenge we run.

eska
01-25-2004, 06:50 AM
Thank you very much Mibus - excellent done.
Good luck

vrf
01-25-2004, 08:28 AM
Thanks for all of the work put into this challenge!

I have a quick question. I made a mistake in converting my tiff file to a final for the milestone database. I accidentally ended up sending in a jpeg of a slightly earlier version than what my final tiff looks like. No biggee, but I just wanted to know which version everyone will see when they vote. The final jpeg in the milestone area, or a lower-res jpeg that came from our final tiff on the ftp site? (I'm hoping it's the final tiff, but it's not a big deal.)

Of course, this was my mistake, so I don't expect any help here. Just wondering.

Thanks again.
Vance

Steve Green
01-25-2004, 09:03 AM
HI,

I seem to recall that they will be creating new web versions from the tiff at small medium and large sizes, so you should be OK.

Cheers,

Steve

eska
01-25-2004, 02:59 PM
vrf

This is one of the main reasons why changes have now been introduced. Now the last final version should be used(before it was the fist final version). If there are mistakes, just contact Mibus and everything will be OK.
Best luck

MirageGraphics
01-25-2004, 03:07 PM
There's always a few glitches. This one was a close to flawless as possible. Most of the glitches were made by us users who sometimes have a hard time following directions. We are artists, after all:)

MirageGraphics

hyperealism2003
01-26-2004, 12:17 AM
If we enter our final Alienware contest entry into EXPOSÉ 2 is there any reason why we cant change and enhance it before entering it?

Are there any rules that restrict us from doing so?

Thanks!!!:beer:

Mibus
01-26-2004, 01:05 AM
vrf: Sorry, nope. Final images used in the voting are taken from the last "Final Image" milestone JPEG that you uploaded through the web-interface. (This is one of the reasons that you're asked to submit both). It isn't unreasonable though, and we might keep it in mind for the next challenge.

hyperealism2003: I don't see why you can't have a newer version of the image you made in the Alienware challenge used for EXPOSE' submissions.

vrf
01-26-2004, 02:58 PM
vrf: Sorry, nope. Final images used in the voting are taken from the last "Final Image" milestone JPEG that you uploaded through the web-interface. (This is one of the reasons that you're asked to submit both). It isn't unreasonable though, and we might keep it in mind for the next challenge.

Bummer. I should have checked right after I had you post them. (I was one of the time zone slackers.)

Will the final judging be from our final tiffs?

Revenantue
01-27-2004, 06:30 AM
I think that there are a couple of things that could help to get this challenge as fair as possible.

1. I think its not right to have one of the entries used as the "icon" of the challenge. You are using (in the front page as well as in the welcome message) crazybread´s image which is currently #1 of the score section, dont get me wrong, he might win and I think his entry is awesome but maybe that is motivating some users to vote for him. Why not change these images for the Alienware logo perhaps?

2. Isnt there a way to get a random browsing of the images to use as the default viewing method? I know people dont vote foolishly but we tend to focus on the first images.

Please note that I am not mad because Im not the first place or anything, I just think these suggestions will help some people to get noticed.

Thx and keep it up, great challenge!!! :)

iv4n
01-27-2004, 08:48 AM
Now is time to voting finaly, thanks to all made this contest posible, I am waiting for the next challenge!!!

thanks for vote (http://cgnetworks.com/alienware/entry.php?challenger=1510) :D

Steve Green
01-27-2004, 09:57 AM
I think Revenatue has a good point regarding the front page, and the order of the images.

On another point, you only allowed to vote for one, or is there a first, second, third choice allowed?

Are the contestants allowed to vote, and if so are they supposed to vote for their own entry or is that considered bad manners?

Thanks,

Steve

Mibus
01-27-2004, 10:13 AM
You can cast as many votes as you want, but you can only vote once per image. (The current ratio is around 3-4 votes per person).

I don't see why you can't vote for your own image... hey it may as well get at least *one* point eh? ;-) If it turns out to be a problem, we're keeping track of who votes for what, when; we can later remove self-votes if we decide that it's a problem.

So far: 1660 votes by 472 users. Almost all images have had at least one vote for them. Top score so far = 149 votes. I'm actually pretty surprised at some of the results, so keep voting folks! Show us what you like! :-)

Steve Green
01-27-2004, 12:20 PM
Thanks,

Oh well, I voted for mine as well as a load of others... gotta have faith in my own entry :)

Should be interesting to see the results...

- Steve

swadepgh
01-27-2004, 04:23 PM
I voted for more images as well. There are a lot of really great entries. Cheers to everyone for creating such great work! :beer:

Prazbotta
01-27-2004, 09:37 PM
As a general rule (from other forums, mostly small photoshop contests on a certain site) I usually vote for my top 5. I NEVER vote for my own entries, but that's just me. I know I will not win this, but I also know that if I get more votes than someone else, it was all about what everyone else thought.

I just hope I get SOME votes. If not... there's always next time.

Praz

centavrus
01-27-2004, 09:44 PM
hi all! its interesting when will be final judging?

Prazbotta
01-27-2004, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by centavrus
hi all! its interesting when will be final judging?

Uhh... It has already started... Here... http://cgnetworks.com/alienware/entries.php?sort=username&page=6

Happy voting!!

centavrus
01-27-2004, 11:59 PM
thank you!:)

rickycox
01-28-2004, 12:49 PM
Hi Leo can clear this up for me which one is correct?? I need to know as I have an interested third party that want's to use my pix on a CD cover. Many Thanks

On this page it mentions "exclusive rights"

http://www.cgnetworks.com/alienware/challenge.php

Terms

By submitting any entries to the Alienware Challenge, artists are giving full, exclusive rights for Alienware and CGNetworks to use the material for marketing purposes in the context of the Alienware Challenge. Artists retain ownership of the material and are allowed to use it for personal promotional purposes only. i.e. Alienware and CGNetworks may use your entry with credits to the artist, but you still own the material and can use it in your portfolio. You cannot sell the rights to anyone else commercially.

Yet on this page it says "non-exclusive rights" which is correct?? Sorry I'm bit confused here.

re: http://www.cgnetworks.com/alienware/final_image.php

Terms and Conditions

By entering images to us you are acknowledging that you have read, understood and accept the following terms and conditions.

I, The Entrant, here after referred to as 'Artist', am submitting the image to CGNetworks, a division of Ballistic Media Pty Ltd of Aldgate Valley Rd, Mylor, SA 5153, Australia, here after referred to as 'Publisher', for use on the CGNetworks website at www.cgnetworks.com. I have read and understood all of the following and I understand that by submitting the image and associated information that I agree to all of the following terms and conditions.

RIGHTS ASSIGNMENT AND WARRANTY
By entering images the artist warrants that they are the copyright holder, or they have obtained the rights sufficient for this purpose, and the artist assigns non-exclusive rights to the publisher for reproduction of submitted images on the CGNetworks website and in sales, marketing and merchandising material associated with CGNetworks at the publisher’s discretion. The artist warrants that all information supplied is current and true. Furthermore, the artist indemnifies the Publisher against any claims or indirect, special, incidental, or consequential damages from any party that may arise from publication of images submitted or associated information submitted with images.

LIMITATION OF RIGHTS
Other than the assignment of the necessary rights to publish selected images and information on the CGNetworks website and associated sales, marketing and merchandising materials, the Publisher does not acquire, nor assume responsibility for, any other rights.

NON RETURN
The Publisher will not return any material submitted. At the written request of the submitting artist the Publisher will destroy copies of submitted material and any backups or reproductions the Publisher may be aware of. All material submitted, both published and unpublished, shall be held by the Publisher for the purpose of reprints and other sales and marketing purposes relating to CGNetworks for as long as the Publisher deems necessary.

NON AGREEMENT
There is no agreement or contract between the artist and the Publisher. The artist assumes all responsibility and costs for delivering images and other required information to the Publisher for consideration and potential publication on CGNetworks.com. The Publisher does not require any payment for entry of images nor does the Publisher offer any form of payment, actual or implied, to the successful entrants for publication of their images.

PUBLISHERS SOLE DISCRETION
Selection of images for publication on CGNetworks.com is at the sole discretion of the Publisher. The Publisher may or may not seek input from individuals. The Publisher also reserves sole discretion in the selection of the portion of images and in manipulations deemed beneficial to reproduction of supplied images.

LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
The publisher will take reasonable measures to ensure the security of images and information supplied to them. In no event shall the Publisher be liable to any party, indirect, special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of the loss of images and data supplied, even if the Publisher has been advised of the possibility of such loss and damages.

This list of terms and conditions constitutes the complete and exclusive statement of the terms and conditions and supersedes any prior terms and conditions, oral or written, and any other communications relating to these terms and conditions.

END.

imscifi
01-28-2004, 09:46 PM
Well I've got to say that that was hard voting! I voted for like 20 I think... I can understand why the judges need to have the top 50% voted for by the populas. I don't know how many judges there are... but that's a lot of great stuff there! Good luck to guys in voting!

On a side note to people like Leigh, I hope none of you took offence to my points of view... they are mine and mine alone... had nothing to do with you guys. You have a job... and there are realistic rules that must be set. I understand and agree with your actions. :cool:

And Leigh, saw your site... DAMN... one day I hope to be as good as you. You go girl! (oh and some of your image links on this site are missing... like Vigo, which I really want to check out!). :thumbsup:

Leonard
01-29-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by riki
Hi Leo can clear this up for me which one is correct?? I need to know as I have an interested third party that want's to use my pix on a CD cover. Many Thanks

On this page it mentions "exclusive rights"

http://www.cgnetworks.com/alienware/challenge.php

Yet on this page it says "non-exclusive rights" which is correct?? Sorry I'm bit confused here.

re: http://www.cgnetworks.com/alienware/final_image.php

Hey man,

It depends on what the CD company wants. If they want to buy the exclusive rights from you, then you obviously have to withdraw the image from the Alienware Challenge, otherwise if the company doesn't mind you using the image in other things such as the Alienware Challenge or EXPOSE' then it's fine.

Leonard

rickycox
01-29-2004, 09:10 PM
Thanks Dude

I told them non-exclusive rights, but not sure if i'll let them use in any case.

jayreef
01-31-2004, 05:53 PM
anyone know what the voting judging proceedure is, has the voting finished, and do we find out who is going onto the board for judging, and how long do they take, and things like that really....

no real reason, just wondering thats all:)

and what is leighs site, iwanna look too:bounce:

Silencer1M
02-01-2004, 05:06 PM
Can someone tell me? did i understand well?

THIS ONLINE VOTING IS IN A WAY THE THING THAT DECIDES THE WINNER, CAUSE- it said - ONLY THE TOP 50% of us (highes vote numbers) wil get to the jury?

I think this is not wright - from two reasons- they are the ones that know best what they want from the final images ( and less voted tiffs that might have been considered good will not make it there) and
SECOND - public votes on web images - not full rez images- that can change a lot of things- we did the tiffs but they migt not be seen at all - cause entries will be rulled OUT

At first it was said that the public vote will have a small part in the judging- but now i can see things have turned around

Prazbotta
02-01-2004, 05:17 PM
Well... I can see how you would miss the hundreds of posts... ALL talking about how voting was going to be done. I think you are chiming in a BIT late. Public voting is all but over now, so I seriously doubt they will even consider a change. But it never hurts to try.... well... except that one time... at band camp.

Praz

hyperealism2003
02-02-2004, 04:57 PM
When is voting going to be over?

How are we going to be informed if we get to the final round of voting?

Will it be listed on the forum?

Prazbotta
02-03-2004, 02:08 PM
Don't know...
Don't know...
Don't know...

Maybe we should wait and see.

Mibus
02-03-2004, 10:43 PM
Heya!

Public voting will close any minute now (last minute votes anyone? ;) )

Alienware juding is slated to start next week.

Roach01
02-04-2004, 12:49 AM
Good Luck To All Those who entered.
I'm sure the Judges will Look at ALL the entrys.
They may see something they like more than what we liked.
T'was a Great Challenge.
Can't wait for the next one.

rickycox
02-04-2004, 04:37 AM
Is there anway of knowing what the final score were? or if you made it through to the judging process?

cobalt1410
02-04-2004, 06:12 AM
Does anyone know when the next challenge will begin?

I think I have got the bug and I can't wait.

carloscrespo3d
02-07-2004, 07:09 PM
Anyone know when the results will be published for this challenge?:bounce:

eska
02-07-2004, 07:56 PM
Hi Stomlord

Don't worry, just wait - this will take a little bit time.
Good luck

Pufferfish
02-07-2004, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Leonard ( to General Discussion forum)
Public voting is finished and final judging is happening next week.

Announcement will be made Monday week: 16 Feb.

Winners will be contacted before then.

Leo

There was a question in the General Discussion forum and the answer was above.

Good luck to everyone.

Defonten
02-09-2004, 04:24 AM
I have one question, is it allowed for participants of Alienware challenge to apply for 3D Awards 2004? In "Rules" section of 3D awards submission form I've read this:

1. All entries must have had its first public release or “premiere” in its entirety between 1 January 2003 and 29 February 2004.

Well, I participated in Alienware challenge with my entrie and I already applied for Expose 2. But I donnow will I make it to be in there or not . So, is it okay to apply for 3D Awards with my aw entrie?

Mibus
02-09-2004, 05:28 AM
Defonten - I just checked with Leonard, he says it's definately OK to submit your AW challenge entry for the 3D Awards.

:-)

Defonten
02-09-2004, 05:36 AM
Thanx a lot Mibus ;)

claudiojordao
03-11-2004, 08:59 AM
Hello, I would like to know better what right do (the ones who lost) have under their images? Can I show it on other sites?

JamesMK
03-11-2004, 09:10 AM
claudio - If I've understood everything correctly, the only thing you cannot do is to sign over EXCLUSIVE rights to anyone else, but showing it on another site etc should be totally cool.

claudiojordao
03-11-2004, 09:16 AM
Hum! That's cool, thanks.