PDA

View Full Version : Softimage 2012 coming.

Bullit
02-26-2011, 02:56 PM
One week to know: http://area.autodesk.com/gdc2011/schedules

1:00 PM
Autodesk® Softimage® 2012
Mark Schoennagel, Autodesk

RebelPixel
02-26-2011, 06:47 PM
there is a weird cloud of silence this year around it, lets see what will happen..
my guess is they gonna just touch ICE and thats it, SI is becoming just ICE.

luceric
02-26-2011, 09:35 PM
weird silence? What was different the other times?

RebelPixel
02-26-2011, 11:10 PM
oh i meant community, not AD :p
meaning usually people talk a lot of possible future features and such, lately everyone is quiet!

ViCoX
02-26-2011, 11:14 PM
You should join the SI mailing list, its very active. : )
:edit: SI is presented 2 times, different days. Thats nice.

Ciuccio
02-27-2011, 01:37 AM
Hope they doing some improvement in all SI aspect (modelling (nice selection like Modo will be welcome), rendering (more user friendly and fast mental ray).
I like ICE, but SI is not only ICE (and the last release was too ICE centric)
Hope Autodesk don't ignore userbase request and listen us.

ThE_JacO
02-27-2011, 02:26 AM
there is a weird cloud of silence this year around it, lets see what will happen..
my guess is they gonna just touch ICE and thats it, SI is becoming just ICE.
Hopefully that holds true, since it's the most modern, unique and efficient part of it and cover all the ground to revolutionize the package that's needed :)
And there's no more or less cloud of silence around it than usual really. If anything I think the mailing list and some pages scattered around at an all time high in activity.

Bullit
02-27-2011, 04:58 PM
"Hopefully that holds true, since it's the most modern, unique and efficient part of it and cover all the ground to revolutionize the package that's needed"

Hope not. Then it will be an obnoxious way to do simple and direct things.

ViCoX
02-27-2011, 05:13 PM
I agree with both sides : ) However, ICE is very fresh and in order to make it really pop up and something really general, they have to focus on it. Atm, ICE is very limited.
SI without ICE would be lame aswell.

I would love to see some improvements on the Delta.

roderickweise
02-27-2011, 06:28 PM
I am attending school right now for 3d and all the teach the first semester is softimage and I must say its a great program IF you do organic modeling. I would like to see some better tools for hard surface modeling. It is definitely alot harder to model hard surface in xsi then it is in 3ds max.

RebelPixel
02-27-2011, 08:33 PM
i honestly think XSI has insane power in hard surface tools, what is it you lack or find harder when using it?
Hard surface modeling isnt that hard, couple of tools over and over, bevel, slice, dice, knife, loop edge selection are the most common!
Also xsi has a great way on how it deals with pivot, quick snapping, reference planes wich can be on points/edges/faces/meshes
Once you see it in action is actually impressive, of course there is improovement margin, but i dont think it has some serious lack of tools, except some profile extrude wich is a bit outdated.

check this out

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/544/

it has a great explanation of hard surface modeling and it shows you some neat tricks in xsi.

ThE_JacO
02-27-2011, 09:51 PM
"Hopefully that holds true, since it's the most modern, unique and efficient part of it and cover all the ground to revolutionize the package that's needed"

Hope not. Then it will be an obnoxious way to do simple and direct things.
ICE is a framework, the moment it's developed enough it becomes a breeze to develop and extend the higher level tools.
This has been proven several times over, first with the API being fixed in several iterations spawning several rendering options that would "save" people from MR, then with ICE enabling user friendly dynamics and extremely powerful things such as lagoa.

The moment ICE will thread multiple graphs in parallel and offer order of evaluation, it will change the face of rigging on so many levels, and the moment it will support topology, writing modelling tools will become an order of magnitude easier.
The same goes for a viewport API and other things. Once you have the framework, extending the user friendly toolset becomes easier and quicker. Hard-coded user friendly but non-versatile elements have proven time and time again to not last very long, or to obsolesce ridiculously fast.

And not really sure I can agree with ICE being "very limited", especially from a user friendlyness and asset management point of view.

CiaranM
02-27-2011, 10:23 PM
Atm, ICE is very limited.

Only by your imagination (well almost...)

SI without ICE would be lame aswell.

Really? Sorry to hear that.

ViCoX
02-28-2011, 12:24 AM
Only by your imagination (well almost...)

Well, it is. Compaired to scripting.
You can`t set most of the scene data in ICE, say names, custom properties or create objects ect.
You could say that, if it was only particle system.

ThE_JacO
02-28-2011, 12:38 AM
Well, it is. Compaired to scripting.
You can`t set most of the scene data in ICE, say names, custom properties or create objects ect.
You could say that, if it was only particle system.
Thing is ICE isn't supposed to replace scripting as a whole, and what you mention is not what it is or is meant to be in the short term.
You are talking about a scene graph, and basically saying ICE can't create its own container but requires a host. That is, however, axiomatic to its design, and not a limitation within its domain.

This is probably going OT though.

CiaranM
02-28-2011, 12:48 AM
Well sure. And it doesn't make my coffee either!

Really, I don't think that's such a valid comparison. I don't think ICE was meant as a replacement for general scripting and I'd be perfectly happy if it never did. But for what falls within it's scope, it's a very powerful tool. In this case working in ICE beats the pants off trying to do the same job with scripting alone. And that's not limited to particles by a long way.

roderickweise
02-28-2011, 12:50 AM
i honestly think XSI has insane power in hard surface tools, what is it you lack or find harder when using it?
Hard surface modeling isnt that hard, couple of tools over and over, bevel, slice, dice, knife, loop edge selection are the most common!
Also xsi has a great way on how it deals with pivot, quick snapping, reference planes wich can be on points/edges/faces/meshes
Once you see it in action is actually impressive, of course there is improovement margin, but i dont think it has some serious lack of tools, except some profile extrude wich is a bit outdated.

check this out

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/544/

it has a great explanation of hard surface modeling and it shows you some neat tricks in xsi.
I think the main thing I dont like is the extrude and scale tool in xsi. Cause when I try to scale a object like 4 sides of a cube it always scales it one direction no matter if I use local or global. I just feel like I have to do it the round about way to get it to scale like I want it too.

Bullit
02-28-2011, 07:59 PM
Not 2012 anymore. Autodesk changed the GDC schedule text. It only says Softimage, Maya, 3DsMax no "2012" to be seen now.
This might mean that the release would be in second quarter.

Hirazi
03-01-2011, 12:59 PM
http://area.autodesk.com/softimage2012

ShaderOp
03-01-2011, 01:09 PM
http://area.autodesk.com/softimage2012
O-M-G!

The End of Days Softimage is neigh.

luisRiera
03-01-2011, 01:52 PM
"Softimage Composite: Softimage® Composite toolset offers keying, tracking, color correction, raster and vector paint, rotoscoping, warping, advanced filters, a full 3D compositing environment, and tools that help support stereoscopic productions."

Does that means Toxic or we still have the build-in compositor?

And... ICE Modeling.. yay!

PiotrekM
03-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Shaderop you remind me moriarty
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuStsFW4EmQ

ShaderOp
03-01-2011, 02:12 PM
Shaderop you remind me moriarty
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuStsFW4EmQ
I'm not bald! I just have an extremely receding hairline.

Or were you referring to something else?

PiotrekM
03-01-2011, 02:45 PM
negative waves... hmm I might confused you with a guy that constantly predicts autodesk killing softimage ;)

ShaderOp
03-01-2011, 05:11 PM
negative waves... hmm I might confused you with a guy that constantly predicts autodesk killing softimage ;)
Sorry, but my humor gland fails me sometimes. I didn't mean to be negative at all. I just meant to say that since this is Softimage 2012 (as in this 2012 (http://www.adishakti.org/mayan_end_times_prophecy_12-21-2012.htm)), it's the End of Days (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/End_time) version of Softimage. I wasn't trying to comment on the quality of this release nor suggest that its going to be killed anytime soon. That horse was beaten, gutted, and impaled a long time ago as far as I'm concerned.

If anything, I'm actually quite excited about this release :)

adrencg
03-01-2011, 09:15 PM
ICE is great, but there needs to be an actual particle interface -- at the very least, an ICE built one(but transparent to the end user). I know much more about ICe than I did a year ago, and I get lots done with particles, but I would welcome an old-fashioned "particle system".

Hirazi
03-02-2011, 08:12 AM
Does that means Toxic or we still have the build-in compositor?
I assume it will be just like in the Softimage 2011.5 where "Softimage Composite" AKA Toxik is/was separate application, while the good old FXTree inside Softimage was still intact.
;)

MCook
03-06-2011, 07:45 PM
Apologize if this is a stupid question and has been covered already but when is SI2012 supposed to ship?

It feels like 2011.5 was just released few weeks ago and here we're talking about SI2012 already and the year 2011 has only begun.

Hirazi
03-06-2011, 07:59 PM
According to the official press release (http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20110301005096/en/Autodesk-Softimage-2012-Interactive-Creative-Environment-ICE):
Autodesk anticipates that Softimage 2012 will be available in English and Japanese in April 2011.

FistOfGod
03-08-2011, 01:52 AM
I think the main thing I dont like is the extrude and scale tool in xsi. Cause when I try to scale a object like 4 sides of a cube it always scales it one direction no matter if I use local or global. I just feel like I have to do it the round about way to get it to scale like I want it too.

I am not sure what you mean by your scale issue but I wouldn't use extrude. Just go into local translate mode, select the four faces of the cube, press ctrl +d and then click on the correct axis and drag. Also, and this is very important, make sure you check Transform Components Independently in Local Mode under the Transform menu on the right before you do all of this. This option is disabled by default for some crazy reason that only the gods know. Hopefully this solves the issue you are having. If not let me know and I will try to help more.

Take care,

Waylon

DoF
03-21-2011, 03:52 PM
I am attending school right now for 3d and all the teach the first semester is softimage and I must say its a great program IF you do organic modeling. I would like to see some better tools for hard surface modeling. It is definitely alot harder to model hard surface in xsi then it is in 3ds max.
Hope they doing some improvement in all SI aspect (modelling (nice selection like Modo will be welcome),I was just about to spray my screen with coffee in amazement at these two posts when RebelPixel :D came to the rescue. Also see

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/news/2011/02/interview-with-vitaly-bulgarov/

Bulgarov is an awesome hard surface modeler and chooses Softimage for modelling.

I highly recommend his segment in the Gnomon Master Class 2011, he takes you through creating the alien helmet in Softimage.

Bullit
03-21-2011, 07:35 PM
That depends of what kind of hard surface modeling we are talking about. SubD's - it doesn't matter if it is Softimage or other- have several problems by its nature. We can't add "sleeping" edge for example.
If we don't need precision it is okay.

CGTalk Moderation
03-21-2011, 07:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.