PDA

View Full Version : Vray and scale?

ivobakker
02-26-2011, 08:38 AM
I was wondering if it matters what scale I use in Maya when rendering with Vray.
For my architectural renderings I always model in meters (so 1 unit is one meter). But I think the standard settings in maya are centimeters.

Does it have any effect on the image in wich scale I model ?

I was wondering about this because i used an IES profile on a light and it was far to bright. I had to bring back the intensity to 0.001 to get it right (can not make it smaller).

Hamburger
02-26-2011, 09:04 PM
Yes, vray depends on real units with ies lights. If it is too bright then you might have to look at using a physical camera (which you should have when doing this type of lighting in any renderer)

ivobakker
02-26-2011, 09:43 PM
Tnx Hamburger
I am using the physical camera.
So should I change the size of my model, or change the Maya settings?

rustbucket
02-26-2011, 10:09 PM
I think Hamburger is suggesting you can dial in the proper exposure for your image using the iso, aperture, and shutter settings on the camera instead of changing the scale/settings in maya.

Hamburger
02-27-2011, 02:42 AM
Yes, that's correct. Try and leave Maya's scale so that 1cm=1cm. And instead of adjusting lights, adjust the camera's exposure settings or even the V-Ray tonemapper.

This is the usual way but of course you can do whatever works best. As long as you are happy with the final render :)

Mrguy
02-27-2011, 05:31 PM
I would leave the Maya units the same but make your model actual size. SO make your model bigger.

CGTalk Moderation
02-27-2011, 05:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.