PDA

View Full Version : Particle Spawn Error

xplodeworkshop
02-25-2011, 05:44 PM
hey guys.... when i am trying to spawn particles and choose the option by travel distance max gets stuck and it keeps on consuming ram and reaches till my max memory...tried reinstalling and everything but no help....m having 12gb ram i7 980x and win7 64 bit

JohnnyRandom
02-25-2011, 06:25 PM
You sound like you are simply spawning too many particles for your system to handle, without seeing your pflow setup it is hard to say.

Spawn By Distance is dangerous when used incorrectly as it can generate and enormous amount of particles within a few frames. If you Spawn By Distance and do not send the newly spawned particles to a new event the newly spawned particles will begin to spawn result in exponential growth.

For example:
A single particle with a speed of 30 generic units and a default Spawn set to By Travel Distance, with no escape event (ie the spawn isn't connected to another event) will generate:

@frame 10:
794 particles

@frame 20:
762584 particles

@frame 30:
well I am not going to wait that long. Put it this way it is a lot.

On the other hand if you Spawn By Travel Distance and move your newborns into a new even, which is typically what you would do (unless you specifically need/know how to control exponetial growth) The same system generates:

@frame 10:
10 particles

@frame 20:
20 particles

@frame 30:
30 particles

and so on.

You could have saved yourself a ton of time and energy by first reading the manual about the Spawn Test and second asking someone :)

xplodeworkshop
02-26-2011, 09:35 PM
dude thanks for your precious you spent in replying me...i know that but earlier i used to do it a lot....i have tried many times step size of .01 and it didnt stuck till now but suddenly it started happening

CGTalk Moderation
02-26-2011, 09:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.