PDA

View Full Version : Muscle Weighting shows no effect

mmacmahon
02-25-2011, 10:08 AM
I've been having some problems with using maya muscle on my model. Earlier the skin weighting on joints hadn't transferred well to the capsules in the maya weighting system, and I'd disconnected then reconnected the muscle objects (mesh, muscles, and capsules) then reweighted the entire skeleton. Now as I move onto the muscles again, I find that weighting them produces no response in the mesh.

I have sticky weights painted for the capsules. I initially tried painting sliding weights for the muscles, and when the mesh didn't seem to be deforming as muscles contracted, I tried painting muscle weights in the stickyB option (I assume this is just a way to keep different sets of sticky weights apart?). I'm pretty sure I have connected the muscle objects, as they appear in the muscle weighting menu. óBefore I reconnected the muscle objects and reweighed my mesh, the sticky weights were affecting the muscles fine. I also tried saving the capsules' sticky weights, disconnecting and reconnecting all muscle objects, then loading up the sticky weights and painting new ones for the muscles. No luck.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

GabrielPettersson
03-07-2011, 12:03 PM
Make sure that you skeleton is in its bind pose when you connect the muscle objects. Things may not work if you have even the smallest rotation on a joint, or something that differs from how it was when you bound the skin to it (scaling, translation, rotation).

mmacmahon
03-10-2011, 07:19 PM
Thanks! I've tried disconnecting the muscles from the mesh and returning the mesh to bind pose but it still doesn't seem to have any effect. (I also disabled IK to return to bind pose.) The spline IK on the tail and spine might be affecting the joint rotation, but I'm not sure how to disable this, and it hasn't shown up as an error when I use the "go to Bind Pose" command.

I haven't touched the capsules, which work fine, but the muscles still don't seem to be affecting the mesh...one friend suggested I remake all the muscles and weight them anew, is there any way around this?

GabrielPettersson
03-11-2011, 12:03 PM
Everything should be fine with the spine as long as you binded your skin "after" you got that little offset when building your spline IK.

Create a new muslce and connect it to your skin. If that muscle works fine, then you will only have to redo the other muscles (that is: delete them, create new ones and connect them). If it doesn't work, then the skin is not in the pose it was when you created the muscle system on it. If you cannot find out what it is that deforms it then the only way I know of is to delete the old muscle system and create a new one, which may lead to you having to redo your weight painting.

Muscles can be a real pain in the ass sometimes since you realy have to be aware of what "not" to do with them to get everything to work properly.

I hope I could help you out a little anyway :)
Cheers!

CGTalk Moderation
03-11-2011, 12:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.