PDA

View Full Version : Sample renders

mpc823_99
10-21-2003, 01:28 AM
I've finally received my messiah:studio after waiting 3 years. :thumbsup: I've spent about 3 hours with it now and made up this image. It's just the T_Rex_LazyAnimator scene with the texturing changed via a Darktree plugin I am writing.
http://home.comcast.net/~danielstewart1/images/skinOldVein.jpg

Here's another one with the texturing changed.

http://home.comcast.net/~danielstewart1/images/leopardSkin.jpg

But a couple of questions for Lyle:

Can I get a directory requestor from within studio?
Is there a way to change the text on the tree shaders?

lmilton
10-21-2003, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by mpc823_99
I've finally received my messiah:studio after waiting 3 years. :thumbsup: I've spent about 3 hours with it now and made up this image. It's just the T_Rex_LazyAnimator scene with the texturing changed via a Darktree plugin I am writing.

Ohh, this is from DarkTree... The first time I saw this post, I may have missed that you were testing your DarkTree plug. Did you edit your original post?

In the proper context, this is very cool news;}) You've managed to get this far after only 3 hours with the program and API?! :buttrock:

Can I get a directory requestor from within studio?
Is there a way to change the text on the tree shaders?

You can't currently get a file requestor from the API, so you'll have to do it yourself. Keep in mind that this is only temporary, though. We will be publishing more controls and this includes mechanisms post file/directory requesters.

As far as changing the text on the nodes, for what purpose do you need this? Just trying to get a clear understanding...

-lyle

mpc823_99
10-21-2003, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by lmilton
Ohh, this is from DarkTree... The first time I saw this post, I may have missed that you were testing your DarkTree plug. Did you edit your original post?

Lyle,

Yes, I edited my original port after realizing it wasn't clear that I was testing the Darktree plugin.

In the proper context, this is very cool news;}) You've managed to get this far after only 3 hours with the program and API?! :buttrock:

Yes, after only 3 hours with the program. However, I've spent the last two months looking over the API and writing the shader. The nice part is that the plugin only needed 2 lines of code swapped to work. I'm not sure if that's a testament to the DTE engine, your API, or my studying over the code for 2 months. Anyway, I'm getting pleasing results.

You can't currently get a file requestor from the API, so you'll have to do it yourself. Keep in mind that this is only temporary, though. We will be publishing more controls and this includes mechanisms post file/directory requesters.

As far as changing the text on the nodes, for what purpose do you need this? Just trying to get a clear understanding...

-lyle

Definitely looking forward to getting the directory and file requesters.

The reason for asking about changing the text on the nodes is that Darktree textures have "tweaks" associated with them. These "tweaks" are things like base color, sizing, etc. Since you don't know what they are until you load them, your can't name them appropriately. My thought was that I could use the input to the nodes to affect the "tweaks". That would allow more control over the texture. My fallback is simply to try to dynamically make a number of control inputs that are associated with the "tweaks". This should work, you just can't have other nodes in the system affect the "tweaks".

Of course, I'm still so new to messiah:studio that I may not fully understand the system yet. :shrug: I still have to get a good handle on exactly how the node structures work in a real-life situation.

Daniel

lmilton
10-22-2003, 06:12 PM
Yes, after only 3 hours with the program. However, I've spent the last two months looking over the API and writing the shader. The nice part is that the plugin only needed 2 lines of code swapped to work. I'm not sure if that's a testament to the DTE engine, your API, or my studying over the code for 2 months. Anyway, I'm getting pleasing results.

I suspect that your progress is a testament to all 3. If there was a problem with any of them, I bet you'd have no doubt about the source;)

The reason for asking about changing the text on the nodes is that Darktree textures have "tweaks" associated with them. These "tweaks" are things like base color, sizing, etc. Since you don't know what they are until you load them, your can't name them appropriately. My thought was that I could use the input to the nodes to affect the "tweaks". That would allow more control over the texture. My fallback is simply to try to dynamically make a number of control inputs that are associated with the "tweaks". This should work, you just can't have other nodes in the system affect the "tweaks".

Of course, I'm still so new to messiah:studio that I may not fully understand the system yet. :shrug: I still have to get a good handle on exactly how the node structures work in a real-life situation.

Daniel

Hmmm... maybe you should try using the shaderflow for a little bit, as you suggest. It *is* important for you to understand how it works. Then you & I will be able to better understand what you need to write the plug.

Try reading my posts that are related to the shaderflow. I don't have the links/posts at the moment, but you may be able to find info by doing a search for "shaderflow". Also, I know that other users (e.g. Marek, etc.) have posted info.

Pleae keep me posted...

-lyle

ps: all you users out there who want the DarkTree plug, don't hesitate to provide Daniel with assistance:)

RonGriswold
10-23-2003, 04:24 PM
Well hopefully this will get you started with your file/directory dialogs:

#include <windows.h>

int BrowseDir()
{
char filePath[MAX_PATH];
char directory[MAX_PATH];
OPENFILENAME ofn;

// initialize the directory to the CWD
_getcwd(d_directory, MAX_PATH);

// initialize the filename
strcpy( filePath, "expected filename" );

ofn.lStructSize = sizeof (OPENFILENAME) ;
ofn.hwndOwner = NULL ;
ofn.hInstance = NULL ;
ofn.lpstrFilter = NULL;
ofn.lpstrCustomFilter = NULL ;
ofn.nMaxCustFilter = 0 ;
ofn.nFilterIndex = 0 ;
ofn.lpstrFile = filePath ;
ofn.nMaxFile = MAX_PATH ;
ofn.lpstrFileTitle = NULL ;
ofn.nMaxFileTitle = 0 ;
ofn.lpstrInitialDir = directory ;
ofn.lpstrTitle = "title of the dialog box" ;
ofn.Flags = 0 ;
ofn.nFileOffset = 0 ;
ofn.nFileExtension = 0 ;
ofn.lpstrDefExt ="exe" ; // extensions, see docs for OPENFILENAME struct
ofn.lCustData = 0L ;
ofn.lpfnHook = NULL ;
ofn.lpTemplateName = NULL ;

if( GetOpenFileName(&ofn) )
{
// on return filePath is the absolute path of the file
// ofn.nFileOffset is the offset to the beginning of the
// filename

// this changes the path to the file, to a path to the
// dir containing the file
filePath[ofn.nFileOffset - 1] = '\0';

return TRUE;
}

return FALSE;
}

mpc823_99
10-23-2003, 05:52 PM
Thanks Ron, that'll come in very handy! :)

maks
10-23-2003, 07:29 PM

Try reading my posts that are related to the shaderflow. I don't have the links/posts at the moment, but you may be able to find info by doing a search for "shaderflow". Also, I know that other users (e.g. Marek, etc.) have posted info.

Yeah that was me who started this thread :wavey:
May I say that my comprehension of the shader flow has much evolved since then, and I'll probably get more time soon to play with the renderer again :D

The thread is located here: http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85374

M. :p

lmilton
10-24-2003, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by maks
Yeah that was me who started this thread :wavey:
May I say that my comprehension of the shader flow has much evolved since then, and I'll probably get more time soon to play with the renderer again :D

The thread is located here: http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85374

M. :p

Can't wait to see what you've learned:)

-lyle

maks
10-24-2003, 07:38 AM
Hey, no pressure please...! ;)

M.

mpc823_99
10-24-2003, 09:36 PM
I've released a beta version of my Darktree plug-in. Judging by the overwhelmingly absent response to my offer over on Yahoo, :hmm: this may not interest anyone. If it does, you can download the plugin here (http://danielstewart1.home.comcast.net/plugins.htm).

I've fixed a couple of the bugs I mentioned on Yahoo already. See the webpage for more details.

Daniel

Qslugs
10-25-2003, 04:45 AM
Hey, I put the darktree plugin in the plugins directory, then theres the dte directory in the plugins directory with the dll files. I went into the enviormental variables for the system (right click on my computer and chose propreties.) the I entered the enviormental variables in there somewhere. Anyway, long story short, I crash messiah while loading it now. It stops on the Darktree plugin. Just thought you should know. Also, the lask of response for this plugin may be due to the fact that everybody is still figuring out the renderer. I am certain that once people start using the renderer heavy duty your plugin will get all sorts of praise and acclaim.

I for one think this is a great thing.

Qslugs
10-25-2003, 04:51 AM
ok, works now. My syntax was wrong for the variable. I had placed :

SIMBIONT_COMPONENTS = "C:\Program Files\pmG\messiahstudio1.5\messiah\plugins\DTE\

Can you see what's wrong with it? Anyway, I got rid of the " before the C, and it all is actually loading fine now. I'll post any results I may have later this weekend.

Thanks again!

mpc823_99
10-25-2003, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by Qslugs
ok, works now. My syntax was wrong for the variable. I had placed :

SIMBIONT_COMPONENTS = "C:\Program Files\pmG\messiahstudio1.5\messiah\plugins\DTE\

Can you see what's wrong with it? Anyway, I got rid of the " before the C, and it all is actually loading fine now. I'll post any results I may have later this weekend.

Thanks again!

Glad you got it working. My syntax on the web page is probably misleading. I actually add my environment variable via the Control Panel->System->Advanced tab. I don't need any quotes in there either. Just add the name SIMBIONT_COMPONENT as the name and the correct path. I just wrote it that way so people would know what the name and path was. I'll change my web page to match.

Daniel

Qslugs
10-25-2003, 05:55 PM
Hey, can you post a sample scene up? Also can you show how you got one of the textures to work? The only thing I can seem to get working is that the model seems to be black in color with several red streaks (for any of the darktrees). Also, I get a bunch of errors for the different texture components that maybe aren't working quite yet. I am sure you are aware of this though.

Also, can you explain how it is were to add the darktree texture to the surfaces? I feel that maybe my problems may be due to my not knowing how things are supposed to be setup.Do I ahve to add the Darktree several times per surface? Or do I add it once and make the connections that way? If you've already covered this point me in the proper direction so you don't have to waste time typing the same thing over and over.

mpc823_99
10-26-2003, 05:45 AM
Hey, can you post a sample scene up? Also can you show how you got one of the textures to work? The only thing I can seem to get working is that the model seems to be black in color with several red streaks (for any of the darktrees). Also, I get a bunch of errors for the different texture components that maybe aren't working quite yet. I am sure you are aware of this though.

Also, can you explain how it is were to add the darktree texture to the surfaces? I feel that maybe my problems may be due to my not knowing how things are supposed to be setup.Do I ahve to add the Darktree several times per surface? Or do I add it once and make the connections that way? If you've already covered this point me in the proper direction so you don't have to waste time typing the same thing over and over.

The red streaks are actually big red X's that show up. This is actually a response from the Darktree Engine, not something I've done. You shouldn't get any errors on the components - that's what's causing the red X's to appear. You most likely don't have your path set correctly. I'll try to post a sample scene tomorrow (Just finished a day of working around the house w/no computer time.):thumbsdow

Daniel

ThomasHelzle
10-26-2003, 04:28 PM
Hi Daniel,

can you please explain a little about how to use your shader? I know Simbiont for Lightwave very well and there the output more or less replaces the LW surface. From your plugin, I seem to only be able to get the color, no bump, no specular etc.
Is this due to the beta status?
It would be cool if you could say something in the readme about what works and what don't.

What are the outputs diffuse level and diffuse function delivering?

I also think that the next important thing is the size, rotation and placement functions since a lot of people don't have darktree (me included) to change that in the shader.

Thanks for this cool tool - I thought myself about doing the port - but you were faster... ;-)

ThomasHelzle
10-27-2003, 11:55 AM
Hi Daniel,
today I tried your plugin on my main working machine with dual processors and I noticed that it doesn't work with 2 threads. It shows the noisy output that happens if a plugin doesn't take care of keeping the data threadsafe.

Regards,

Thomas Helzle

mpc823_99
10-27-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Thomas_Helzle
Hi Daniel,
today I tried your plugin on my main working machine with dual processors and I noticed that it doesn't work with 2 threads. It shows the noisy output that happens if a plugin doesn't take care of keeping the data threadsafe.

Regards,

Thomas Helzle

Yes, Simeon Nasilowski has also reported this to me yesterday. I'm looking into it. I'll have to see if I can get ahold of a dual system, as this was developed on a single proc system. I'll send you a message when I have another build ready. I'm also looking into adding support for position, scaling, ..., these aren't there yet due to it being beta. I'm also checking out whether the support for the other channels besides color is acting correctly. I am certainly calculating it, just a matter of whether its reaching the outputs or not. Thanks for checking it out.

Daniel

mpc823_99
10-31-2003, 09:33 PM
Hi Daniel,

Regards,

Thomas Helzle

I've now fixed the threading problem, added support for position, rotation, and scaling, and added support for world/local coordinates. Also there is support for changing the timing of an animated texture. You can get the latest here (http://danielstewart1.home.comcast.net/plugins.htm) . There still seems to be a problem with the bump channel - still looking into it.

The outputs from the shader are exactly what Darktree gives me. So, for example, the diffuse level is whatever the Darktree shader is set to. Not all shaders have all values set. If it doesn't have it set, I don't calculate it.

Cheers,
Daniel

ThomasHelzle
10-31-2003, 09:41 PM
Hi Daniel,

I will give it a try right away. :thumbsup:

And good luck with finding the bump :)

Thanks a lot!

ThomasHelzle
11-02-2003, 12:18 PM
Finally I found the time to test the new version:

Hey, millions of outputs, cool :)
Works much better than the last version. Very nice.

I still would like some explanations on what the outputs do - If you find some time, some short sentences to every output would be very helpful.
There are a lot of outputs that I don't know how to use in messiah - how can I use anisotrophy for instance?

I wonder if it may be better to completely override the messiah surface with the darktree output like in lightwave. Isn't the current way of implementing it rendering everything twice? I was always under the impression that simbiont/darktree delivers the complete rendered surface?
A combination would be very cool - either override the messiah surface and let DT do its magic or use single outputs to be more flexible.

I asked Lyle before to implement some flags into the SDK that tell the plugin which inputs/outputs are connected to something so the plugin can determine what stuff it needs to calculate. Maybe that would make the shader faster? But Darktree was always famous for quality, not for speed... :-)
Lyle, please :bowdown: :-)

- Multithreading still doesn't work. Looks exactly the same as before.

- Glossiness is very strange in messiah - it isn't from 0-1 but from 0 to 256 or the like... It is anounced to change in the future though, but you may want to change the output for now.

- Is it possible that the missing bump is in a seperate channel? Maybe the current output determines how much bump is applied and the missing channel delivers the actual height map? Just brainstorming... :-)

:thumbsup: I really look forward to your further development - very nice work so far! :applause:

mpc823_99
11-02-2003, 03:48 PM
Finally I found the time to test the new version:

Hey, millions of outputs, cool :)
Works much better than the last version. Very nice.

I still would like some explanations on what the outputs do - If you find some time, some short sentences to every output would be very helpful.
There are a lot of outputs that I don't know how to use in messiah - how can I use anisotrophy for instance?

The outputs of my messiah plugin shader currently are what you would be inputting into final shader of Darktree. So, for example, if you had Darktree 2, you'd see that it contains a shader into which you hook various channels - e.g., color, bump, specularity,.... My shader simply calculates each one of those.

I wonder if it may be better to completely override the messiah surface with the darktree output like in lightwave. Isn't the current way of implementing it rendering everything twice? I was always under the impression that simbiont/darktree delivers the complete rendered surface?
A combination would be very cool - either override the messiah surface and let DT do its magic or use single outputs to be more flexible.

I'd actually love to do that. But looking at the Darktree SDK I can't figure out how. It seems to only give you the options of getting each channel, not the final rendered surface. I've emailed August to try to get some help.

I asked Lyle before to implement some flags into the SDK that tell the plugin which inputs/outputs are connected to something so the plugin can determine what stuff it needs to calculate. Maybe that would make the shader faster? But Darktree was always famous for quality, not for speed... :-)
Lyle, please :bowdown: :-)

I second that request! That would be very useful.

- Multithreading still doesn't work. Looks exactly the same as before.

Hmmmm, I'll look into it. It worked on my machine just fine.

- Glossiness is very strange in messiah - it isn't from 0-1 but from 0 to 256 or the like... It is anounced to change in the future though, but you may want to change the output for now.

I didn't know this. I'll have to change the outputs to match.

- Is it possible that the missing bump is in a seperate channel? Maybe the current output determines how much bump is applied and the missing channel delivers the actual height map? Just brainstorming... :-)

I actually can't figure out how the bump works in messiah. They seem to take a float, which would indicate to me that the number simply affects the height. However, Darktree outputs either bump as a normal vector or elevation as a height. But the output of elevation doesn't seem to affect the bump channel on the messiah node. Odd since the same elevation out of Darktree does affect the diffuse channel just fine. Still puzzling me - I'll have to post on the Yahoo site.

:thumbsup: I really look forward to your further development - very nice work so far! :applause:

Thanks. Hopefully I'll be able to figure some of these things out. I only can work late at night or some on the weekends, so it takes longer than I'd like.

Daniel

ThomasHelzle
11-02-2003, 04:30 PM
Hi Daniel,

I think I understand what the plugin does, I just wonder where to put something like anisotrophy since messiah doesn't have that. And that is where the "overwrite" would come in handy, so everything DT delivers could be used...
I'm looking forward to what the DT people can offer to help.

I tested some more and there is definitely something weird with the bump channel. As you said, the elevation and bump output works if I feed it into color or diffusion etc. but as soon as it is getting in contact with bump, there is simply nothing...

Superstrange :)

Good luck with finding the problem!

mpc823_99
11-02-2003, 04:43 PM
Hi Daniel,

I think I understand what the plugin does, I just wonder where to put something like anisotrophy since messiah doesn't have that. And that is where the "overwrite" would come in handy, so everything DT delivers could be used...
I'm looking forward to what the DT people can offer to help.

I tested some more and there is definitely something weird with the bump channel. As you said, the elevation and bump output works if I feed it into color or diffusion etc. but as soon as it is getting in contact with bump, there is simply nothing...

Superstrange :)

Good luck with finding the problem!

The problem with aniso is that it may not actually be part of a specific darktree. Every Darktree only has certain channels which I can query. I've modified my About button to include the active channels. That way I know which node outputs will be valid. You don't have that version now, but I'll try and get a version up that includes this. (My version currently has a bunch a debug stuff in there and you don't want that).

I, too, hope Skylar and August can shed some help my direction.

Lyle, if you're listening, could you shed some help on the following issues:

What range of inputs is the Bump channel expecting?
It appears my shader get called 5 times for each point. Is that correct?
What does the Normal input do in your shader, since this is a color input?

Daniel

Qslugs
12-04-2003, 04:14 PM
Hey can you give me the names of a couple of the Darktrees that definately work with 1.5c and the current version of your plug?
All I get is a bunch of messages that state basically there's nothing to conenct to for all the attributes. Everything renders black.

Or am I asking for something that isn't possible due to not being updated for the 1.5c patch?

mpc823_99
12-04-2003, 05:17 PM
Hey can you give me the names of a couple of the Darktrees that definately work with 1.5c and the current version of your plug?
All I get is a bunch of messages that state basically there's nothing to conenct to for all the attributes. Everything renders black.

Or am I asking for something that isn't possible due to not being updated for the 1.5c patch?

Sounds like you don't have the components installed correctly. Make sure you have the environment variable set correctly. I know that the absCrusty.dsts works, as that's the one I use normally. I'll try to update the website with an .mpj file example.

Daniel

Qslugs
12-04-2003, 07:10 PM
ok, cool. I did check the enviorment variable last night when I reinstalled the updated plugin. Maybe I just needed to restart. However the lines in the enviormental variable was the same from the last version of the plug and that seemed to work fine (well except for that big X) I hadn't thought of that last night when I was testing. I will give it another shot later and let you know if I can get it working.

Qslugs
12-05-2003, 02:48 AM
So I feel really dumb right now. Your assumption was right on the money. You know that part listed in the installation instructions that said not to forget the slash at the end of the enviormental variable. Well guess what. I forgot it.

It seems to be working now no problem. I'll post some images in a bit and let you know if I have any problems.

Qslugs
12-05-2003, 04:35 AM
Ok here ya go! Heres a bunch of test "balls" that I rendered with various darktree textures. I used that texture project showing off the different fresnel examples that Lyle threw together.

http://www.screamingrabbit.com/test/darktree_sample_010.jpg
http://www.screamingrabbit.com/test/darktree_sample_011.jpg
http://www.screamingrabbit.com/test/darktree_sample_013.jpg
http://www.screamingrabbit.com/test/darktree_sample_014.jpg
http://www.screamingrabbit.com/test/darktree_sample_016.jpg
http://www.screamingrabbit.com/test/darktree_sample_017.jpg

No render problems whatsoever, well aside from the fact that a bunch of the surfaces are asthetically unusable :)

No crashes at all though! I am sure both you and Fori will be pleased to hear that.

So is this plugin almost fully functionable? If not what's missing?

And hopefully Lyle or someone over there at PMG is giving you whatever assistence you may need to get this fully functional. I love having a huge procedural library.

mpc823_99
12-05-2003, 01:37 PM
:thumbsup:

Looks good. I updated the website last night to fix some broken links and such.

What's missing? Well, here's some things that I think need to be addressed:

The plugin doesn't know which components are being requested. Each component which makes up a texture will be requested separately. Therefore if the shader needs a color channel, I don't know this, so I have to calculate everything for every request. Means you're recalculating the entire Darktree for each channel hooked to your final shader.
My bump channel may bit a bit of a hack. I think Lyle implied that a better way of handling bump channels is coming. (But he can correct me there.)
I'm not convinced the specularity, diffuse, ... channels work correctly.
I'd like to find a way, if possible, to speed things up, beyond the first item mentioned.
I'd like the API to allow RGB color setting with a color preview. They have this for the built-in textures, but it doesn't seem to be available for plugins.
Some of the limits on the sliders don't work. I think this is an API issue, but I honestly haven't mentioned anything to Lyle yet, so it may be my issue.
The whole scaling thing seems backward to me. I MAY change it so that making the scaling numbers smaller will actually make the texture smaller rather than the other way around.

I'm also toying with the idea of creating a whole set of shaders separately from the Darktree shaders. I started with the Dots shader to get an idea of how to do it, but to add a complete set would take quite a bit of work and I probably couldn't release it without charging some nominal amount. So that may or may not happen.

Glad you found the shader useful. Cheers to Darkling Simulations for releasing their shaders!

Daniel

Ok here ya go! Heres a bunch of test "balls" that I rendered with various darktree textures. I used that texture project showing off the different fresnel examples that Lyle threw together.

http://www.screamingrabbit.com/test/darktree_sample_010.jpg
http://www.screamingrabbit.com/test/darktree_sample_011.jpg
http://www.screamingrabbit.com/test/darktree_sample_013.jpg
http://www.screamingrabbit.com/test/darktree_sample_014.jpg
http://www.screamingrabbit.com/test/darktree_sample_016.jpg
http://www.screamingrabbit.com/test/darktree_sample_017.jpg

No render problems whatsoever, well aside from the fact that a bunch of the surfaces are asthetically unusable :)

No crashes at all though! I am sure both you and Fori will be pleased to hear that.

So is this plugin almost fully functionable? If not what's missing?

And hopefully Lyle or someone over there at PMG is giving you whatever assistence you may need to get this fully functional. I love having a huge procedural library.

lmilton
12-05-2003, 09:28 PM
:thumbsup:

Looks good. I updated the website last night to fix some broken links and such.

What's missing? Well, here's some things that I think need to be addressed:

The plugin doesn't know which components are being requested. Each component which makes up a texture will be requested separately. Therefore if the shader needs a color channel, I don't know this, so I have to calculate everything for every request. Means you're recalculating the entire Darktree for each channel hooked to your final shader.

Actually, there is something in place, but it doesn't appear to be functioning properly. We'll run more tests and get a fix in the next patch.

My bump channel may bit a bit of a hack. I think Lyle implied that a better way of handling bump channels is coming. (But he can correct me there.)

There are some changes to the way that bump is computed in later updates. Just use the sample code that I'd given you, for now.

I'm not convinced the specularity, diffuse, ... channels work correctly.

Well... they're only values. Whatever values you supply will be used to compute the effect. This can be easily tested by attaching a TextureMap or Noise type shader to those inputs. You're going to have to elaborate on that one...

I'd like to find a way, if possible, to speed things up, beyond the first item mentioned.

I'm sure you can do things to get some speed increases on your end. However, we also have some speed increases of our own planned.

I'd like the API to allow RGB color setting with a color preview. They have this for the built-in textures, but it doesn't seem to be available for plugins.

Yet...

Some of the limits on the sliders don't work. I think this is an API issue, but I honestly haven't mentioned anything to Lyle yet, so it may be my issue.

Please post your problem to the pmGDev list.

The whole scaling thing seems backward to me. I MAY change it so that making the scaling numbers smaller will actually make the texture smaller rather than the other way around.

Not sure what you mean here. There is not built in scaling for shaders; you have to compute this yourself within the context of your own shaders. Can you explain?

-lyle

mpc823_99
12-05-2003, 11:20 PM
Actually, there is something in place, but it doesn't appear to be functioning properly. We'll run more tests and get a fix in the next patch.

Great, look forward to that!

There are some changes to the way that bump is computed in later updates. Just use the sample code that I'd given you, for now.

Yes, that's what I'm doing now. I'll update my stuff whenever you've made your changes.

Well... they're only values. Whatever values you supply will be used to compute the effect. This can be easily tested by attaching a TextureMap or Noise type shader to those inputs. You're going to have to elaborate on that one...

This is totally a thing on my end. Didn't mean to imply that there was something that needed changed in messiah.

I'm sure you can do things to get some speed increases on your end. However, we also have some speed increases of our own planned.

Again, I meant on my end. I haven't really looked very carefully where I could improve, but I am sure there's something somewhere.

Yet...

Cool.

Please post your problem to the pmGDev list.

I'll try to do that tonight or tomorrow.

Not sure what you mean here. There is not built in scaling for shaders; you have to compute this yourself within the context of your own shaders. Can you explain?

Sorry again, I meant the scaling I currently use for the shader. The scaling that's used with Darktree is matrix based and increasing the scale values actually seems to make the Darktree parameters run through faster. This makes the texture actually appear smaller. So I meant changing how I do scaling so that when a higher number is entered, I invert and run it into the matrix. Any event, not something for you to worry about.

-lyle

Cheers,
Daniel

Qslugs
12-09-2003, 07:03 AM
hey, is it possible he x,y and z scale of the darktrees is getting confused? I tried scaling on the z with the holstien pattern and the scaling was adjsuting on the y instead, likewise when I adjsuted for y it adjusted the z instead. I don't know if it's a bug or just the way it handles x,y and z or coordinate systems. Anyway, jsut thought I'd let you know. If you can't replicate, I can post some images tomorrow night.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.