PDA

View Full Version : Textures (3DSMAX)

three
10-21-2003, 12:49 AM
Hi all.
I'm a beginner when it comes to textures in 3D Studio MAX, and I just don't get it... :)
Let's see, I'm using a .psd-file, but when I'm using layers in Photoshop I allways have to save to another file format for use in 3D Studio MAX... Is there any way for me to paint a picture with layers, and then use it in 3D Studio MAX? Or do I have to work with two sets of pictures?
The only thing I'm after here, is comfort, I guess... It's irritating to not be able to just save and update the material in 3DSMAX.

And I'm a HUGE newbe when it comes to Photoshop, so, if anyone has any good tutorials for me to use (besides the not too explaining manual and attached tutorials :D).

Take care,

three.

halo
10-21-2003, 01:24 AM
max's adoption of the PSD file format really only extends to the old PSD format from photoshop 2 which doenst support layers. Best to keep your file in layers, save out a flattened copy to max, its a nause, but the best way.

Neil
10-21-2003, 05:18 PM
just keep the PS file open with layers and do all your painting and tweaking and then hit crtl+shift+s (right?) to do a save copy. Select the jpg/targ file and hit ok.
Then open up max and hit refresh.

You can leave your layered file open the whole time and just save it normally ever so often.

I know it sounds like a pain but it only takes a few seconds once you get in the rut of hitting the key combos, eventually you don't even look at the keyboard or screen you just know what's gonna pop up before it even pops up :)

three
10-22-2003, 12:12 AM
Thanks dudes, that's what I wanted to know.

:thumbsup:

uncon
10-22-2003, 01:48 AM
You can also make a little photoshop action to save your file as a flatened whatever.

Gibbz
10-22-2003, 02:20 AM
3ds max 5 support the photoshop 7 format, so u can just apply the psd straight to the model

easy
10-22-2003, 10:01 AM
yeah max 5.1 supports photoshop layers, very well in fact. i use psd to texture a lot of the time. Max opens a psd and gives you the option to apply it as a compressed layer or choose layersyou want from the psd file to be applied.

dans
10-26-2003, 01:09 AM
If you need a working PSD import for 3ds max 4 (unlike the discreet plugin for 3ds max 4) you can download the tryout version of psd-manager. psd-manager is an advanced PSD exporter for 3ds max/VIZ and the demo version also includes an unlimited PSD import plugin for free!

Find it here:
http://www.cebas.com/products/products.asp?UD=10-7888-33-788&PID=38

Daniel

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.