PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the Alienware Challenge

Pages : 1 [2]

JamesMK
02-28-2004, 07:36 PM
Instead of moaning about the delay, I'd like to announce my list for the top-10 funniest guys we've encountered during this challenge:

(In no particular order)

CLONEOPS
Ravioli_rancher

The latter one unfortunately seems to have disappeared from the face of the earth to my great disappointment - but maybe he's still out there somewhere, busy being generally weird. Anyways, lots of LOL-spit on my monitor because of these two dudes. :D

Yeap, that's only two, so please add your nominees.

CLONEOPS
02-28-2004, 08:36 PM
the Ravioli_rancher is not lost-
"The latter one unfortunately seems to have disappeared from the face of the earth " WHAT? I have NOT DISAPPEARED!!!
Haven"t you seen my act!!!
I"m not lost I now am Very $uccessful and perform a medley of poplular tunes in a Las Vegas niteclub......
VOOO-LAAAAR-EEEEE. oh..oh..oh...oh.

...Under a totally different name of course...

JamesMK
02-28-2004, 09:42 PM
Oh?

[insert the "utterly confused" emoticon here]

imscifi
02-28-2004, 10:52 PM
Hey James, nice icon. Got tired of William Burroughs?

and you've already been notified, haven't you... I can tell.... you have an air about you... Heh heh heh... I knew you'd be somewhere at the top... congrats. (though, I'm completely going by the non - "GADS SOMEONE TELL ME WHO ONE" - attitude.

:D

CLONEOPS
02-28-2004, 11:05 PM
"disappeared from the face of the earth "
made me think of 'Man on the Moon " movie.

JamesMK
02-28-2004, 11:27 PM
I'm now much more informed than I was ten minutes ago.
Andy Kaufmann... who'd have guessed? ... Oh, OK.

imscifi - Well, you know, Burroughs is temporarily out, bunnies are in. Need to keep them things on rotation a teensy bit.
- Btw, you've got a truly sweet icon yourself you know, he said casually.

That aside, notifications... Gee, I don't know.

CLONEOPS
02-28-2004, 11:41 PM
self deleted

AlexScollay
02-29-2004, 10:28 PM
OK, so they've blown through that deadline too... any word on when we can expect to finally see an end to this thing?

Anyone?

Bueller?

Steve Green
02-29-2004, 10:40 PM
I'm guessing Monday, 1st of March and all that...

Maybe you could get Ming to unleash hot hail to expedite matters? :)

- Steve

JamesMK
02-29-2004, 10:46 PM
Hot hail - the ultimate solution.
Usually happens when I make popcorn.

That aside, monday is probably a good guess (though I've honestly said that about a lot of guesses until now) :D

AlexScollay
02-29-2004, 11:00 PM
I checked with Ming, he muttered something about dispatching the war rocket Ajax to Alienware's headquarters. :p

The March 1st idea seems like it could be the day though. I know I'm not in the running for the prize (so sure I bought a twin proc workstation last week the same spec as the prize) but I just want to see who won!!

Oh, and Ming says he's "Boooored" and wants a new plaything.

Steve Green
02-29-2004, 11:16 PM
I hope the Merciless One enjoys his new PC then, that should keep him out of trouble for a little while...

- Steve

imscifi
03-01-2004, 03:43 AM
JamesMK : Why thanks, stating casually back... (though, that pic is a few years old :blush: )

Though, I might put a new one up after seeing Klytus's web site. I went as Zhaan one year at a convention a few years back.

speaking of which, Klytus are you a fan of the show? I saw Farscape on there... (just curious)

AlexScollay
03-01-2004, 04:39 AM
I am now. While I was working on the show it was a not-being-able-to-see-the-wood-for-the-trees kind of thing. You go through a few deadline crunches, sometimes the last thing you want to do is watch the show afterwards :)

PS: Definately post the pic of you as Zhaan :)

JamesMK
03-01-2004, 07:00 AM
Farscape, eh? Now there's yet another show I haven't seen.

imscifi
03-01-2004, 03:19 PM
ok I've updated my avatar...

JamesMK - they have the series now on DVD. Definitely a great show... I heard that it will be coming back for it's final season... it was dropped by the scifi channel here in the states. Personally, I think it was a bad move concidering how many awards it got for the special effects.

Klytus - Yeah, I've been in simillar situations where I just didn't even want to have anything to do with what I was working on after I was done with it. I'm glad you got to become a fan of it. Hopefully, you'll get to work on the final season, though, I have no idea who's supposed to be hosting it. I should check in on that. I'm not a die hard fan. The reason for dressing as Zhaan was because my friends begged me into it. I also ended up shaving my hair off for it. I did the make up with eyeliner and eyeshadow... took me 4 hrs.

JamesMK
03-01-2004, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by imscifi
ok I've updated my avatar...
Noooooooo! :D

It looks like a very well made make-up effort though, but.... ah. Umm. Oh.

That aside, I'll see if I can spot one of those DVD's around. It's always fun to check out what our fellow talkers have been working on.

imscifi
03-01-2004, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by JamesMK
Noooooooo! :D

oh don't worry, I can always put it back to the other one! Jeesh! :thumbsup:

JamesMK
03-01-2004, 03:52 PM
:beer: LOL all over the place.

jayreef
03-01-2004, 04:22 PM
I might of found a clue:rolleyes:
http://homepage.mac.com/sportsprint/.Pictures/alienware.jpg

Steve Green
03-01-2004, 06:12 PM
Oh well, it's past 6pm GMT... maybe it's not going to be today after all.

It would be nice to hear what the holdup is, it seems to be getting silly now.

- Steve

JamesMK
03-01-2004, 06:25 PM
I guess it's got something to do with abductions. Maybe cattle mutilations. All sorts of things. Maybe the announcement has already been made, but it was published in a parallel universe.

Seriously though, it's getting a bit tense.

Pufferfish
03-01-2004, 06:33 PM
Tense indeed...delay after delay :|

imscifi
03-01-2004, 06:35 PM
they just want to see how you handle under pressure...

ya see it's all really a government conspiracy... Being the US and all... ya know.. Microsoft does own Alienware... We're big on the whole Alien conspiracy and Area 51... they just don't want you to know the TRUTH!

(I'm kidding... no seriously, I am... seriously.)

Steve Green
03-01-2004, 06:36 PM
Delays I can put up with as long as there's announcements - years of traveling on British trains teaches you that...

At the moment we seem to be stuck at signals just outside Clapham Junction...

- Steve

Psotek
03-01-2004, 06:46 PM
I think something serious has happened. Like the figured out they cant give out a computer after all. :shrug:

Weider
03-01-2004, 07:03 PM
Bartosz: hummm i hope everything is ok... but with a 2 weeks dalay, maybe... :shrug:

Psotek
03-01-2004, 07:07 PM
Well, I just think there may be some legal reasons why they cant announce the winners. But thats IMO.

jayreef
03-01-2004, 07:09 PM
it is kinda humerous though guys, hang in there, i am sure they will let everyone know when they are allowed

maybe they are trying to find 1500 computers, one for everyone:bounce:

JamesMK
03-01-2004, 07:10 PM
Ah, well... The truth is out there. I want to believe.

rickycox
03-01-2004, 08:53 PM
A bit of an anti-climax really.

AlexScollay
03-01-2004, 10:19 PM
IAMSCIFI: Ok. You look just like her. That's wild :bowdown:

It's coming back for a 2 ep mini-series to wrap everything up. I'm sitting next to the VFX crew now and it's looking great. I'm on something else right now but I think I move on to Farscape in May...

As for this competition, I guess our 1st of March theory just got shot down. Maybe they didn't want to compete with the Oscars ;)

muyyatin
03-01-2004, 10:40 PM
Maybe they're waiting to compete with next year's oscars... or maybe they're waiting for April Fools... oh well, I'll just have to be patient faster.

Anyone out there know what's happening, that would care to inform those of us who didn't get notifications?

Dan-o706
03-01-2004, 10:49 PM
Maybe the judges were all abducted! Maybe they are being probed this very minute! We may NEVER find out who won! Brain going to explode!

Serenity now!
Serenity now!
Serenity now!:eek:

imscifi
03-01-2004, 11:09 PM
ok.... this may be to far out there for most... "Alien when"?

(think of the joke "Apocolyps When?")

Klytus - Wow very cool. Heh heh heh, now I will have to check in with you more often to find out how the fx are going. :thumbsup: Thanks for the update. (on the side note... a friend of mine gave a copy of a picture of me dressed up as Zhaan to give to Virginia Hey, she was about to sign it thinking it was her, until my friend pointed out that she was giving it to VH to keep. VH had started collecting pictures of fans who dressed up as her character.)

rickycox
03-01-2004, 11:38 PM
Maybe they don't like the work and want to keep the computer ;-)

Speculation is such a great thing, yet it would be so easy for someone to clear this up.

imscifi
03-02-2004, 12:43 AM
oh well I know the true reason... It's cause they thought mine was the best! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Just kidding!

Actually, I'm sooooo itchin to see who won... *eekgrraakkakaka....* holding my breath there... sorta.

come on... (now i'm just being impatient.) sorry....

JamesMK
03-02-2004, 06:49 AM
I've started eating parts of my hair.

I see small creatures with very large, adhesive feet walking across the wall behind my monitor.

There are metallic blue women with no hair on screen.

Crop circles in the fuzzy white bathroom carpet. There's like ten thousand spoons, when all you need is a knife. When I opened the fridge this morning I saw Queen Amidala sitting on a small throne made out of butter - and I'm sure those pickles were singing a song about Ewoks while sounding like smurfs on crack.

All in all, 'Eraserhead' suddenly appears to make sense, and it scares the hell out of me.

miguelf
03-02-2004, 12:43 PM
From the biggest chalenge and outstanding contest of all in the beggining to the frustated and disapointing ending in this final.

Every artist made excellent work and efforts until last minute, we hope that u make that too, two moths to make a votation it's too much time ... i'm disapointed and sincerly my curious now it's very low ... anyway good luck too all

Steve Green
03-02-2004, 02:03 PM
To be fair it's not been two months, the contest closed on 20 Jan. It's been, what 6 weeks(ish)?

Not that I'm defending them - I think Alienware really need to get their act together, and at least post some sort of response.

- Steve

MirageGraphics
03-02-2004, 02:12 PM
Not to mention that they said they took the top 15 artists and asked them to write a how-to on their piece. So, they may be waiting for that info too, and you know how good us artists are at meeting our deadlines ;-)
Mirage

imscifi
03-02-2004, 02:30 PM
JamesMK: wow... that's really cool! How'd you do that?! Sleep Deprevation?... or just some wild and great drug?!!! Damn... so where are these bald blue metalic looking women your seeing on screen? :p Guess I should change back that avatar soon... especially when cute little bunny wabbits on a monitor start going into a psychodelic state of mind... (I wonder what Freud would have said)

so, day 2 of March... I say we start a pool... I'd say the'll announce it tomorrow... after NASA to Announce 'Significant Findings' of Water on Mars (today at 2pm ET USA)
http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/opportunity_nasa_040301.html

:thumbsup:

Steve Green
03-02-2004, 02:32 PM
I say they announce it after the release of the new version of Zbrush.

- Steve

JamesMK
03-02-2004, 02:40 PM
Guess I should change back that avatar soon... especially when cute little bunny wabbits on a monitor start going into a psychodelic state of mind... (I wonder what Freud would have said)
Rest assured - you don't wanna know what ol' Siggie would have said about it.

My prediction *ahem* - the announcement will come the day after Clay goes public open beta...

BClaw
03-02-2004, 05:53 PM
Yay!!! :bounce:

Congrats to all the winners and the honorable mentions! :applause: It must've been hard for the judges to pick, because there were *so many* good pieces in this challenge! :drool: Cy'all next challenge!

:beer:

eatttbug
03-02-2004, 05:54 PM
http://www.alienware.com/Workstation_Pages/cgchallenge.aspx

rattlesnake
03-02-2004, 05:57 PM
Yeah congratulations to all the winners, amzing challenge!
ok, now post the new challenge:p

JamesMK
03-02-2004, 06:13 PM
Congrats to Jari and all the rest!

Steve Green
03-02-2004, 06:35 PM
Congrats to Pufferfish and the other guys - I was really surprised that Chewaka didn't even merit an honourable mention, I thought that was a cert for the top 3.

- Steve

tungaunga
03-02-2004, 06:45 PM
yeah! congratulation to all the winners!!!!!!!!! GOOD GOOD!!!!!!

Defonten
03-02-2004, 06:54 PM
Congratulations Jari and the rest! You really deserved it! Wish You all the best! Lookin' forward for next challenge!

Natiq Agayev

JamesMK
03-02-2004, 07:00 PM
.... meh, a coffee mug...

I need a hug.

:p

Hellsp4wn
03-02-2004, 07:09 PM
YAY, THEY ANNOUNCED IT!!

Now we finally can get on with our lives ^^

Seriously though, CONGRATS!!!
All the mentioned pictures were really great!
:thumbsup:

And the lucky bastards ALL received a copy of EXPOSE
Now I'm jealous :cry:

Thanks for a great challenge Alienware, both the contest itself, and the waiting that followed :P

Where can I turn to get a new F5 key for my keyboard?
:curious:

centavrus
03-02-2004, 07:31 PM
You are the best Jari !:thumbsup: Congrats to all the rest !:)

imscifi
03-03-2004, 02:44 AM
HUGS to JamesMK! I knew you were one of the top ones! Maybee ya didn't win... but your work kicked ass! Your on the top list... Feel proud and be happy! *toasting to you right now* :bowdown:

I think they did a pretty good job with the final choices. Though, there were a few that I"m surprised didn't make it to the finals. ah well, I had fun. I hope they do it again... though, I'll just watch from the side lines. :thumbsup:

crazybread
03-03-2004, 02:45 AM
Congraulations to all the winers. Beautifull pieces, and well chosen!

...one thing I don't understand though is why Tungaunga didn't even get an honorary mention????? :hmm: I would have love to see his "Making of". Lots of people missed out because of it.

I loved his piece sooooooo much. (I could still eat those things you know) :p

Well ... untill the next one folks!

everyone: WELL DONE!

TheAllusionist
03-03-2004, 05:39 AM
Congratulations Jari and all the finalist. The artwork created for this competition was truely outstanding. I really enjoyed getting to know some of you and the constructive environment at CGtalk. Thanks AlienWare and CGtalk for making it a pleasureable experience. To everyone else, fantastic work!

JamesMK
03-03-2004, 08:11 AM
>>> HUGS to JamesMK!
- Aww, knew I could count on you :D :blush:

>>> Feel proud and be happy!
- I do, I do!

>>> I think they did a pretty good job with the final choices.
- They sure did. I would have wanted to see any other entry for the first slot. Jari is the man! (sounds fanboyish yes?)

>>> I hope they do it again... though, I'll just watch from the side lines.
- No no no, you should join in again.

imscifi
03-03-2004, 01:26 PM
JamesMK - I pulled out of this contest because I had issues with the way the judging was going to be conducted. Actually, I hope Leigh isn't mad at me. I think I may have pissed her off in a reply. So if anything, I think I'll stay out only because of how things are judged. I will definitely try to do the work that they want, but only for myself, and I'll start a thread somewhere else in the forums, so as to get input from our piers. I'm all good with that! :thumbsup:

So Jari winning did make me happy. I really liked the dizzyness and movement of the work. He was in my top 5. Actually, so were you. There were some great peices, but certain ones really made me stop and take time to look at it as though I was really looking at a landscape. I love stuff like that, cause I'm always taking time to look at what's around me, like trees and the sky.

JamesMK
03-03-2004, 02:17 PM
Actually, I hope Leigh isn't mad at me. I think I may have pissed her off in a reply.
I don't think you should worry too much about that. Not that I can be sure of how someone else is thinking of course, but she does not give the impression of being the long-term mad type :)

imscifi
03-03-2004, 02:45 PM
JamesMK: I hope your right. She's really really good. Have you seen her site? She's got some amazing stuff on there. I have yet to get to that level... though I'm trying!

:)

JamesMK
03-03-2004, 03:08 PM
Strangely enough I haven't checked it out - only the odd posting in the texturing forum... I guess there's enough stuff around to be intimidated by as it is :D

Pufferfish
03-03-2004, 04:31 PM
Thank you all, happy to read your comments.
What a great challenge...

JamesMK thanks for the special FANBOY comment.. muahahahhaha cheers! :beer:

*runs around naked banging pots and pans...again*

Let the next challenge beging :)

JamesMK
03-03-2004, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Pufferfish
*runs around naked banging pots and pans...again*
I'm still waiting for pictures of that!

*taps foot impatiently*

imscifi
03-04-2004, 12:10 AM
hmmmm... :curious:

I want a video, not pictures! :p

Pufferfish
03-04-2004, 07:08 AM
HAHA

hmmm..How about this..
Training DVD: How to run naked with pots and pans. Includes basics and more acrobatic situations. Environments from Great halls to narrow corridors.

JamesMK
03-04-2004, 07:45 AM
On DVD number two:
- Wire rigs for naked pot-and-pan-runs on walls and ceilings.
- How to use Combustion to mask the wires and the dangly bits.
- Choosing the best pan: aluminum or cast iron?

CLONEOPS
03-04-2004, 07:50 AM
Pufferfish put yer clothes back on!
Nice to see a rhino user on top of the winners list.
Veeeeeery nice final pic.Quite elegant.

Pufferfish
03-04-2004, 08:52 AM
:) hehe ok, enough of running...

Yep Rhino is great. Hope more people would realise how powerful it is.

Thanks for the compliments.

BClaw
03-06-2004, 06:25 AM
Pufferfish and Cloneops! So, you two are using Rhino with Flamingo? I'm from an AutoCAD background, and *love* AccuRender (Flamingo in disguise). I found Rhino to be very confusing though (have the demo), what are your backgrounds and how quick did you pick it up?

CLONEOPS
03-06-2004, 10:35 AM
My formal education and training started out in arts and science, described best as a liberal arts curriculum.....

..actually Rhino took me about 30 minutes to get the hang of. i still get the occasion modeling glitch but i can almost always solve it.
The only software per say that i hate{for now]because of the interface is ZBRUSH,it just rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

I would think going from cad to rhino would be easy?

Kijop
03-10-2004, 09:49 PM
I believe in xxbox worxtation above 20k

:)

by now....

celticdog
03-12-2004, 04:07 PM
Will this challenge ever end? Lets get on with it.

JamesMK
03-12-2004, 04:15 PM
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=126765

Kijop
03-12-2004, 11:21 PM
and i like her new avatar...