PDA

View Full Version : Detailing Dezkin - Nori

noritominaga
02-21-2011, 05:47 AM
Hi there,

I'm treating this less like a competition and more like a learning experience. I do hope to finish it in time though!

There's so many questions I want to ask using this program.

Is there snap rotation during navigation?

How can we go about making crisp edges like for fabric seams? Is there a bezier like tool?

Is there layer effects functions like you get in photoshop - like inner glow? if not what's the best way to do such things in Mari.

I have started my texturing but it's a little all over the place as I'm getting used to the software. Here's a rough paint over of what I have in mind!

Thanks!!

http://forums.cgsociety.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=&stc=1

noritominaga
02-24-2011, 12:10 PM
Hey everyone,

slowly getting the hang of it all. Here's a screen grab of the head.

Just a question about workflow (I'll post this in the main thread too)

When a texture map is painted I like to work WITH the displacement map there so I know where all the nooks and crannies are. So therefore, painting textures in zbrush is really handy.

However, I can't work out how I can easily do this in Mari. I understand that I can overlay a layer or plug in a displacement map, but it's far easier to do it in a package that already has the geometry there.

Is this Mari's function in the first place? Thanks!

myketindle
02-24-2011, 07:26 PM
Hey noritomimaga
Yes there is a easier way use the channel mask under the projection
Tab and select ur color channel as adjust the curve as desired to get ur contrast
Of the cavitys you like :)

myketindle
02-24-2011, 07:30 PM
Sorry haha that would be selecting ur disp channel :p

noritominaga
02-25-2011, 01:58 AM
That's a neat trick! Thanks very much

noritominaga
03-04-2011, 11:40 AM
Hi guys,

updated my progress. Loving the fact I can paint such high res bumps etc with Mari.

I wont finish this by the due date, but I'll keep chugging along to see where I end up with this.

In future version, I would like to see Mari have vector tools and the ability to place patterns on a path? As well as layer effects.

I'd also like to know how to erase things in a layer AFTER its baked?

Anyway, this is disp, bump, spec, diffuse and rendered in Mental ray so far.

evakristjans
03-04-2011, 12:31 PM
I'd also like to know how to erase things in a layer AFTER its baked? .

To erase something you've already baked, select the Paintbrush and set it to 'Clear' mode (the default setting is 'Normal' mode ;) )

noritominaga
03-05-2011, 06:19 AM
A clear brush, who would've guessed it.

Thanks for your help!

forelle
03-05-2011, 11:47 AM
A clear brush, who would've guessed it.

Thanks for your help!

Hi,

I understand this is a bit difficult to find first out. Would an option on the eraser be easer? I.e. Erase From (Paint Buffer | Current Channel) ?

I love the differing textures in the head and tentacles by the way. Really nice concept.

noritominaga
03-06-2011, 10:42 PM
That's a nice idea Jack.

I think the thing that gets me is that everything seems so Photoshop centric in terms of brush types, that 'clear' seems to be out of place. I also like flipping my wacom stylus for an eraser so I don't have to flick between tools?

Also I was wondering if there's a 'ZApplink style' Photoshop-editing feature in Mari where I can freeze an angle, take the map into Photoshop, overlay paint, and bring it back into Mari? I understand that Mari is meant to be a replacement for Photoshop texturing, but I think the majority of artists feel alot more comfortable with Photoshop tools. Integration is necessary?

forelle
03-07-2011, 09:17 AM
That's a nice idea Jack.

I think the thing that gets me is that everything seems so Photoshop centric in terms of brush types, that 'clear' seems to be out of place. I also like flipping my wacom stylus for an eraser so I don't have to flick between tools?

Also I was wondering if there's a 'ZApplink style' Photoshop-editing feature in Mari where I can freeze an angle, take the map into Photoshop, overlay paint, and bring it back into Mari? I understand that Mari is meant to be a replacement for Photoshop texturing, but I think the majority of artists feel alot more comfortable with Photoshop tools. Integration is necessary?

We'll look at making this a bit clearer. The main problems stems from the fact that we have two types of erase, i.e. erase from buffer, erase from surface. Thanks for the input.

If you use the projectors, you can use a Mari / Photoshop workflow. Navigate to you chosen angle, create a projector, pick an output file location and then unproject. Paint over this image in PS and then use the Project method to project it back on. You can create lots of different angles and projections and flick between them quickly. We don't have a single to PS action (like ZApplink) but I'm guessing it could be done with about 10 lines to python.

J

Essex
03-07-2011, 04:01 PM
I was a little confused by the clear brush at first as well. I didn't realize it existed until I went searching for something like it. I think if it was its own brush it would be a little clearer. For instance, having the e hotkey for eraser brush, p hotkey for paint brush, and c hotkey for clear brush. Adding it as a separate unique button on the toolbar just under eraser would certainly make it more accessible.

noritominaga
03-10-2011, 04:48 AM
Fantastic entries everybody. Awesome work. I haven't posted in that thread, I'm far from done. But this is fun, Mari is fun, so who knows I may keep chipping away at it.

This is what I've done so far, including mental ray render.

Just a question, is there anyway to optimise your system for Mari. Mari seemed to get bogged down when I had a few channels in there, forcing me to collapse and delete. Is it purely Graphics card related? I have a Quadro fx 1800.

Once again good luck to everyone!

CGTalk Moderation
03-10-2011, 04:48 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.