PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Foot IK for 5-toed-character

amazingjay
02-20-2011, 05:28 AM
If the character has 5 unaligned toes on its foot (for example a lizard), do we put an IK on each of the toes?

I've done a reverse foot control set-up for characters with grouped toes (e.g., the character has shoes or has paws), but i've never done one for a character with 5 long toes each pointing on a different direction. Has anyone rigged one and was still able to use a reverse foot set-up?

shinyprem
02-20-2011, 05:41 AM
Hi,
Have the Foot Toe parented to the Ball joint and continue with your old method of reverse foot.
Rgds,

amazingjay
02-20-2011, 05:52 AM
Hi,
Have the Foot Toe parented to the Ball joint and continue with your old method of reverse foot.
Rgds,

Ummm... I'm not sure how that would work. Parenting would only work if all the toes have the same size and are pointing in the same direction.

The toes on my lizard are of different sizes (imagine a human hand that's being used like a foot -- each digit is pointing at a unique direction and it has its own unique length). Any other suggestions?

PentamiterBeast
02-20-2011, 12:05 PM
Id say stick your ball point at the most forward join of the toes... so wherever the toes that are joined at the forward most position on the hand/foot. These toes can then take the full weight at the extreme end of the ball rotation, whilst the ones sat further back begin to lift off. You can then set them to turn down a little using either an aim, or IK, etc, or even an expression tied to the ball rotation.

amazingjay
02-20-2011, 03:54 PM
Id say stick your ball point at the most forward join of the toes... so wherever the toes that are joined at the forward most position on the hand/foot. These toes can then take the full weight at the extreme end of the ball rotation, whilst the ones sat further back begin to lift off. You can then set them to turn down a little using either an aim, or IK, etc, or even an expression tied to the ball rotation.

Good suggestion! Thanks!

CGTalk Moderation
02-20-2011, 03:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.