PDA

View Full Version : Touching up some glass (maya/MR)

disrupter52
02-19-2011, 11:27 PM
Hey guys, I have some questions on just how i can touch up this wine glass.

First off, how can i eliminate that black ring around the lip? I know why its there, but i dont know how to get rid of it. Im using MR and that is a mia_material_x with the glass preset slightly modified. MR is on production.

Second, how can i smooth this out a bit? Along the bottom of the glass (above the stem, not the very bottom) its not smooth, you can see faces from the sides. I revolved the curve and output it into a nurbs, figuring it would be very smooth, and it is, but i want it smoother.

Let me know if theres anything i should do light-wise, right now its basically just default settings for production in MR. (no GI or Caustics, but there is FG on it, but its default FG settings).

Thanks a lot!

InfernalDarkness
02-20-2011, 09:17 PM
To smooth your glass, duplicate it, hide the original, and select the new one (to keep the old one in case you need it again...). Now go Mesh -> Smooth. That's how you smooth the mesh!

But look in your Maya help docs under mental ray mia_materials. You're going to need two glass objects - an inside and an outside, to make a realistic wine glass experience. There's a huge thread on the topic as well in the Maya section, "coffee" I believe is the thread.

Kev3D
02-20-2011, 11:08 PM
If you want make the nurbs surface smoother, you can go into the attribute editor > shape node > Tessellation > Simple Tessellation Options and drag the U and V Devisions Factor up.

disrupter52
02-20-2011, 11:15 PM
If you want make the nurbs surface smoother, you can go into the attribute editor > shape node > Tessellation > Simple Tessellation Options and drag the U and V Devisions Factor up.

Ok thanks. Ive modified my wine glass so that its smoother and a poly mesh.

I now have a wine bottle that is a nurbs, it looks awful when i convert it to poly, so i was wondering how to fix a nurbs so its smoother. Thanks.

CGTalk Moderation
02-20-2011, 11:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.