PDA

View Full Version : painting w/ the palette knife

wedge
10-20-2003, 07:32 PM
is there a way to smear paint on the "canvas" with the palette knives? i tried using a "loaded" palette knife but it was still just smearing the paint.

what i'm trying to do is have a similar effect to the way Bob Ross paints with a bump/tube of paint on the very edge of the palette knife.

wedge
10-21-2003, 10:05 AM
nevermind, i played with it a bit more. i just have to press harder and play a bit. not quite what i expected, but fun nonetheless.

Zeddicus
10-24-2003, 12:58 AM
Anyone have any suggestions for doing realistic water with the palette knife in P8? I'm working on a painting at the moment and am having some difficulty (seems like the right tool for the job to me). I don't have much of a background when it comes to painting (used Photoshop for a long time though because of my photography) so any comments would certainly be appreciated. Thanks all! :)

PS: My 9x12 Intuos2 is arriving this evening, maybe that will help.

Lunatique
10-24-2003, 05:00 AM
Typically, the palette knife is used more for impressionistic brush work. If you want "realism," you might want to try other brushes. However, you can get the 'illusion' of realism even when painting with impressionistic brush work--as long as you capture the right values/colors. I would suggest you go look at a lot of John Singer Sargent's work. His brush work is quite loose, but captures the essense of his subjects very well.

tayete
10-24-2003, 10:38 AM
Well Luna, if I remember well you created an astonishing realistic pic (that blonde girl) with just the knife...am I wrong? ;)

Lunatique
10-24-2003, 10:47 AM
Ya, but I had set out to do a more impressionistic piece--and I ended up overpainting it. . .. Yes, if you use small size brushes you can get fine details with the palette knife--but I didn't do it intentionally! It was an accident! :D There are better tools for that purpose. Nowadays, I only use the palette knife for more painterly/impressionistic stuff.

Zeddicus
10-25-2003, 07:41 AM
I had been thinking of something along the lines of what I've seen on PBS with Bob Ross actually. You know, when he paints happy little things [ ;) ] and just gradually and lightly scrapes the surface of the canvas with a knife to suggest detail in things like trees, rocks, water, etc. The current ones in painter seem heavy handed to me, even with the amount of control I have using a Wacom (and can I just mention WOW these things are great?). The current selection would definitely be good for the work Lunatique mentioned though. I think I may have to work on designing my own palette knife brushes perhaps, which isn't too bad since I need to learn how to make brushes anyways. Thanks for the comments all! :)

Lunatique
10-25-2003, 07:59 AM
wgeddes - I think you're talking about using the edge of the palette knife--which means you have to tilt your Wacom pen.

wedge
11-02-2003, 09:22 PM
dagnabbit. i can't paint like that i guess, since i've got a graphire3... no tilting.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.