PDA

View Full Version : dpi for print

wedge
10-20-2003, 07:28 PM
I recently did a project for my drawing 1 class for print at 18x24 and i did it at 300dpi, which was a hefty 7200x5400pix... this was sort of hellish on my computer, even w/ a 3GHz P4 and a Gig of ram.

is 300dpi about right for print, or is it overkill?

jeroentje
10-21-2003, 06:04 PM
300 dpi is best for pre-press.
But when you go above A3 (297x420mm) it's okay to lower your dpi's a bit.
Nobody presses his nose against a poster, so you can get away with that and save yourself a lot of savingtime. I never go below 150dpi though, except for billboards ;) But those usually get enlarged from a 10% scaled digital piece at 300 dpi...

Jinbrown
10-22-2003, 01:06 AM
Hi guys,

As I'm sure you know, DPI, or dots per inch, is a term used in printing.

The term used in Painter is PPI, or pixels per inch.

If you use the correct terms, there's less chance of either conveying or getting misinformation, as DPI has a number too and it comes into play when we print.

Try roughing in large areas of color at smaller image dimensions and lower Resolution (PPI number), resize upward again at larger dimensions and Resolution (PPI number) to add large details, then resize upward again, at the final dimensions and Resolution (300 PPI, for instance), to add fine detail and clean things up.

A lot of artists work this way and say it's a good solution for them.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.