PDA

View Full Version : Maya. Question about mirroring a rig and/or animation

bellwether
02-19-2011, 01:13 PM
Using Maya 2011, I am about to do a complicated rig (for a robot type thingy) which consists of a left and right arm. These arms have identical movement but are obviously mirrored due to them being left and right. Lets say I set up the left arm which includes joints, locators, as well as parent and orient constraints, and then animate it. Do I have to manually set up the rig and/or animation for the right arm or is there a quicker way?

For, instance I know I can mirror the joints and duplicate geometry on, lets say the X scale, but then my current understanding is that I have to redo the constraints and the animation. Is this true?

Thanks in advance.

cdmcg
02-19-2011, 08:07 PM
you will have to reorient and reconnect everything up. But, if you do your orienting correctly you can mirror the controls values over with a little scripting. But this will only work(easily) if you set it up so that the values give the same results for the opposing controls. There might be other ways out there to mirror animations that I just do not know about. But with the constraints and things of that nature, yes you will have to go back and redo all of that.

CGTalk Moderation
02-19-2011, 08:07 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.