than working with Max 2010 and pflow.

Can anyone confirm that?

Bandu
02-18-2011, 10:12 AM
I would say the other way around!
PFlow and MAX2010 was slow, 2011 is better

naik
02-18-2011, 11:52 AM
Really??! Funny you say that, but sure interesting.

Looking forward to other thoughts...

JohnnyRandom
02-18-2011, 07:12 PM
I hate to say it, as I love pFlow, it does have speed issues (BUT so do most particle systems) mostly because I think that demand for ludicrous particle counts has gone through the roof and the plugin architecture hasn't really kept up with the demand. It really needs some serious love in regards to large data sets.

Honestly I can't tell you which version performs the best, as I think they are all slow if they aren't playing back in at least 1/2 real-time or better.

I can offer some things that will help speed:

1. Most importantly, Cache your systems and/or subsystems

2. Never ever leave Track Update->Particle Count on, check your flow counts with it then turn it off, preferably after you have cached. Obviously the same goes for Update Progress. The first is a known bug.

3. Only use the lowest viewport count percentage possible. Sometimes this seriously blows when you are using Split Amounts with Spawns, preceding events may never get populated.

4. Avoid dense meshes for interaction (especially animated ones), either for Birthing particles, collisions, lock and bond, speed by surface, find target, shape instance, ect.

5. Avoid adding unnecessary operators, adding a speed operator in an event with forces the drive direction for example, just animate the forces strength value instead.

6. Get rid of particles that are out of view. If you need them for later use camera culling, if you don't delete them. The same goes for large animated meshes.

7. Be careful with your script operators, as they can be slow anyway simply for the fact they are scripted, use box#3 instead :)

8. Don't leave your material editor open. especially if you have animated textures.

9. Try OpenGl instead of DirectX.

10. If you use display particle as geometry, switch to bounding box isntead of the actual geometry.

There are probably a dozen or more things you can do.

CGTalk Moderation
02-18-2011, 07:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.