PDA

View Full Version : Bug in MetaEffector

Jonathan
10-20-2003, 03:45 PM
Here's the bug in the image. I ran across this when I first bought Animate 4 but I have sinced updated it with the patch from PMG's website thinking that it would be done with.

As you can see, the area of influence is not centered with the effector making it impossible to use. I haven't figured out a work-around but when it happened the first time, I had to redo the entire scene, which is unacceptable.

http://www.btinternet.com/~jonathan.west3/bug.jpg

maks
10-20-2003, 04:21 PM
Hmm, have you some scale anywhere in that hierarchy? Just a thought, but maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, I usually put metaeffectors outside the skeleton, into a seperate hierarchy, they don't need to be parented to the bones if you just want to do basic vertex assignment in setup. This way they don't get affected by any scale eventually present in the skeletal tree, wich could lead to such problems, and they are also easier to adjust like this IMO. May be worth a try...

M.

WesComan
10-20-2003, 04:24 PM
I had something like this a while ago, it turned out that the model had been moved up in Y in Setup but the effectors needed to be in the meshes original position.

Jonathan
10-24-2003, 07:45 PM
HHMMMMM, I'm not receiving my CGtalk email responses.

Anywoooo, the model is not scaled, in fact, it's in its original rest position, rotation and scale. Yet is seams strange that scaling would cause such an action but then again, I'm not a the creator. I just got a response from PMG usergroups. He too suggested it was user error, however as stated, i never scale my characters as I model to scale.

I wont dismiss that I could have done something wacky in the process but what that was I can't say but I'm quite sure it's not scaling.

maks
10-25-2003, 12:04 AM
I didn't mean scale of the model, but scale somewhere in the hierarchie... Anyway, this was just a guess, I may be wrong. If you'd publish the file that you were talking about in your post on yahoogroups, someone might take a look ;)

M.

Jonathan
10-25-2003, 09:54 AM
That's okay, I got it now. I did do something wacky in the process. I move my mesh .6 +y in setup mode and rested it there. All is now fine in my world.

It seems a hinderence however that the effector will not compensate for this. Perhaps something for PMG to look into with their next patch. I'll post in PMGgroups.

lmilton
10-25-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Jonathan
That's okay, I got it now. I did do something wacky in the process. I move my mesh .6 +y in setup mode and rested it there. All is now fine in my world.

It seems a hinderence however that the effector will not compensate for this. Perhaps something for PMG to look into with their next patch. I'll post in PMGgroups.

Do you have a scene with which we can test?

-lyle

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.