PDA

View Full Version : tv resolution ?

budpartytime
06-03-2002, 03:27 PM
which is the resolution of exit for the TV?

ilasolomon
06-03-2002, 11:43 PM
well, since you are from swiss then you probably looking for
PAL TV RES. ok, it's 720x576 or 768x576 depends on your
player card but the most use 720x576 (PAL DV)
& another important thing is: if you use field rendered images
(aka interlaced images) you must know which field order your
player could play properly (but some could play both UPPER & LOWER -aka ODD & EVEN- correctly)

budpartytime
06-04-2002, 08:36 AM
thank you for your assistance!

but I would wish some precision. for render animation?
in 3dsmax for example I must put 720x576?

Chris
06-04-2002, 10:24 PM
Yep, thats pal resolution alright. There are presets in the render dialog for max, just choose something like 'PAL DV' or 'PAL D1' that should set it to 720x576. It should also set your pixel aspect ratio correctly (should be 1.0666 for 720x576)

ilasolomon
06-05-2002, 12:21 AM
in what media are you going to put your anim?
VHS? CD? VCD? DVD? AVI?
do you have a player board?...or have any accessable?
wha't your exact plan?

budpartytime
06-05-2002, 06:53 PM
I think of making VCD, it is what has of more practical... finally I think. You know, I begins in the 3d...

I would like to make my trade of it.
I go begun studies of "multi-media originator" here in Switzerland...
It is for that I test optenire a maximum of information.

sorry i don't speak a good english :hmm:

ilasolomon
06-06-2002, 12:33 AM
it's ok i'm not english too
so you got it that the TV res is 720x576 & 25 fps (for pal)
then you must know that the VCD res is 352x288 & it's mpeg-1 format
you must render your anim to non compressed avi or tga/jpg sequences & then
compress them to mpeg-1 (VCD) format by another app.
most of cd-burners do that for you (making VCD)

budpartytime
06-06-2002, 07:20 AM
thank you very much for your invaluable assistance!

:thumbsup:

ilasolomon
06-07-2002, 12:34 AM
@ ur service!

...& about your avatar, is it rendered with illustrate!?

budpartytime
06-07-2002, 07:58 AM
no... it's 2d draw... with illustrator 8.01 ;)
I'm realy a graphic designer 2d in switzerland....

waht's your job?
Where you works?

ilasolomon
06-07-2002, 10:58 PM
i'm a freelancer doing 3d & CG commercial animations but i have
hands on 2d, drawing & illustration, most by hand.
visit my page

Russo
06-11-2002, 08:00 AM
the TV is not 720x486?

Chris
06-11-2002, 10:35 PM
Probably not if he's in Switzerland, they use PAL - thats the size for NTSC... :)

Doh Boy
06-13-2002, 11:06 PM
I have a question along these lines, too....

I'm rendering out of Max and want to output to DV and use that as a master to make VHS copies for demo reel purposes (for NTSC). Here's my question:

Should I be rendering out at 720x486 or at 640x480? When I render at 720x480, Max sets the pixel ratio to 0.9, and I notice that my images appear elongated. Will this stretching be eliminated once it's outputted to DV? Will my 640x480 renders appear squished? I'm gettting a little confused. Any help/clarification would be most appreciated! :p

ilasolomon
06-13-2002, 11:37 PM
When I render at 720x480, Max sets the pixel ratio to 0.9, and I notice that my images appear elongated. Will this stretching be eliminated once it's outputted to DV?

YES...if your DV player board would support ntsc 720x480.

Will my 640x480 renders appear squished?

also YES...but it will not stretch, u'll get a black border & the
images will be a little squished.

Doh Boy
06-14-2002, 12:03 AM
Ila, thanks for the response and for clarifying! It is much appreciated!

One final thing I wanted to throw out to everyone was to get some feedback on my workflow to get my stuff onto tape...here it is:

1) Render out of Max at 720x480.

2) Composite and edit in After Effects.

This is where it gets a little fuzzy for me...

What format should I export out of After Effects? Quicktime? DV Stream?

3) In order to get it out onto DV tape, I'm thinking of simply using iMovie (because I've used it before and it seems to work like a charm). Maybe Premiere or Final Cut as well. With this in mind, any suggestions for what best to export out of After Effects?

4) Finally, with a copy of my reel on DV tape, I will simply dub onto VHS tape. My concern here is changes to the image going from DV to VHS in terms of the resolution (image stretching/cropping/etc...)

Anyway, that's my crazy plan...Thoughts? Suggestions? Comments? Any and all advice would be great before I get too far along on this process...Thanks in advance!

Chris
06-14-2002, 12:25 AM
all sounds good to me! :) I'd save out from After Effects a Quicktime file, using the 'animation' compressor (set to millions of colours, compression quality set to the maximum) Its a great intermediatry format as it is lossless (unlike DV). Then just import that baby into Imovie or FCP & print to tape... (it will have to be 'rendered' by Imovie or FCP first)

You shouldnt get any stretching or cropping (apart from cropping done by the television itself, as long as you have respected your safe frames you'll be right). The quality will degrade a bit, but theres not uch you can do about that! :hmm:

ilasolomon
06-14-2002, 01:05 AM
good comment Chris
& about exporting from max to AE i recommend you to render
out your anim to TGAs file format (or tiff or BMP or any uncompressed format that AE will read, i myself use PNG format)
...& would you please tell me what's your output player board
to DV stream?...how you would do that? then i'll tell you the
most proper sulotion if i know.
cheers

oh i forgot, do you render your footages to fields? i mean interlaced.

Doh Boy
06-14-2002, 06:04 AM
Guys, Thanks a million for your comments and answers. You're rock stars!!:buttrock:

Chris: Thanks for reminding me about the animation codec. I forgot about that one and will definitely use it.

Ila: I've been rendering out as TGAs...any advantages to PNG? I've been rendering out frames, not fields, at 30 fps. Finally, I don't know exactly what you mean by "output player board". I'm guessing you mean the hardware to go from the computer to the DV tape recorder? All I can say is I'll be using a mac (probably a G3) via the firewire port. Hopefully this will do...

And yet another question...what's the difference between the 720x480 resolution and 720x486? I believe the latter is referred to as "D1"? Again, thanks again for all of your info and help.

Russo
06-14-2002, 07:28 PM
the most professional way I've heard is to render on 720x486 (for NTSC), in TGA format, make it on Premiere or After or combustion, or something else, rende DV vídeo, processing with professional board, Matrox or something, the pixel aspect ratio is because PC has 1,0 and TV has 0,9.. the DV ina BETACAM, should be the Matrix, 720x480 has 6 pixels less in the height than 720x486 heheh :scream:
cheers

ilasolomon
06-14-2002, 11:33 PM
hello D'oh! Boy
u r welcome :)
&...no advantage exept the smaler image size & support for
16 bit/channel image (48bit) but if you need!
yes i mean the hardware & i see you use apple firewire...so
i haven't so much experiences with apple, maybe QT with
DV compression is ok
but remember a thing forever:
never in intermediate session of making your movie, output
to Streamed media like avi or QT mov or else, even noncompress.
because of compatibility, access to a single shot, retouching
some frames, less size on hard, no lose of quality & ...
if it's finished, then it's ok to output to AVI or QT or DV or ...
480 or 486 both are OK!...6 pixels can't harm the ratio of picture!

Doh Boy
06-14-2002, 11:57 PM
Everyone: Thanks a bunch for your advice and technical knowledge. It's cleared soooo much up for me.

I've actually done a test with my above outlined procedure and it seems to work. :applause:

I ended up exporting as a DV Stream since that's what iMovie seems to like. I was a little worried because it looked like crap on the computer screen, but in the end it came out OK. Even looked OK when I played it back on the ol' 30" TV.

Now all I need to worry about is the hidden item on my workflow list:

5) Get a frickin' job!

;)

Thanks again!

ilasolomon
06-15-2002, 12:04 AM
may the WORK be with you!

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.