PDA

View Full Version : How to emit fluid from part of an object?

KentYang
02-17-2011, 05:12 AM
Hi,

I would like to create a cartoon ghost character, and I like to make its lower-body looks like smoke. The problem is, I can't find any command inside Maya to paint somthing like "weight map" on an object to emit fluid. (If there is one, please let me know.)

This is what I try to do:

1. Model a character and creat its UV map.

2. select the character, and assign fluid on it. (Emit from object)

3. paint a weight map so that the fluid only emitted from its lowerbody (which I have no idea to do so...)

4. At the same time, I will assign an transparency map to make its lower body disappear.

any suggestions,please?

Thanks!

ChristopherP
02-17-2011, 05:19 AM
you could use particles, emitted from your painted "disappearance"-map, to emit the fluid...just a wild idea :)

C

Derek Wolfe
02-17-2011, 04:18 PM
You could delete the parts of the body you do not want to emit from, and use the entire remaining mesh as an emitter.

animatedfox
02-17-2011, 06:03 PM
ChristopherP is on to the right path...
You can just use the 3d paint tool to paint out the map and then use that saved texture to drive your emission rate. But it sounds like your character and UVs will be simple enough to just paint the map in photoshop or something.
A little annoying, but it should take only a couple of minutes to get things working.
Just use the Texture emission rate on the surface emitter.
Boom!

tokanohanna
02-17-2011, 06:21 PM
Hi,

I would like to create a cartoon ghost character, and I like to make its lower-body looks like smoke. The problem is, I can't find any command inside Maya to paint somthing like "weight map" on an object to emit fluid. (If there is one, please let me know.)

This is what I try to do:

1. Model a character and creat its UV map.

2. select the character, and assign fluid on it. (Emit from object)

3. paint a weight map so that the fluid only emitted from its lowerbody (which I have no idea to do so...)

4. At the same time, I will assign an transparency map to make its lower body disappear.

any suggestions,please?

Thanks!

If you are using Maya 2011.....you can use the new Density, Heat, and Fuel emission maps. You can find this under your Fluid Attributes section in your fluidEmitter. Essentially you can control where you want your fluid to emit from.

CGTalk Moderation
02-17-2011, 06:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.