PDA

View Full Version : Snake-Controls for GAME Animations

J-Dude
02-17-2011, 04:42 AM
I've made a creature for a game-mod from the "Tremors" film series, which while being reasonably serpentine itself, also has tentacle-tongues that are prehensile, and tucked within it's stomach when not used to grab prey.

To be used as an NPC, these tentacles will need to be animated when it attacks. If this were purely for video, I'd just use the IKSpline, but given this is a game, bones are necessary.

I've already made a series of bones for the tentacles and skinned the model. But animating the creature and it's tentacles will be nasty without some form of control, especially given I need the tentacles to neatly shoot back inside the creature in a realistic way too. Not to mention the creature itself is subterranean and attacks by burrowing out of a hole that it will then sink back inside.

Ideally, an IK system that controls the entire tentacle would be nice, but with a number of mini-controls that allow me to influence the shape the rest of the tentacle behind it is taking. I just REALLY don't want to be controlling this thing with FK rotation of the bones.

Any links or advice is appreciated!

spacegroo
02-22-2011, 02:48 PM
Your engine requirements will likely mandate bones animated in an FK hierarchy. However, there should be no reason you can't have a more robust control rig that drives a traditional bone chain using constraints or other methods. Those constraints would then get baked into FK transforms at export time.

CGTalk Moderation
02-22-2011, 02:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.