PDA

View Full Version : How to make a demo reel for a Maya Pipeline TD position

hanton
02-16-2011, 09:46 AM
Hi folks, I love Computer Animation and plan to change my current job, a software engineer, to a Maya Pipeline TD.

Now, I am learning MEL and PyMEL. As known, one of the most import functions of MEL and Maya Python is to custom Maya for your own need to facilitate making Animations. Because I have not job experience in CG, I can follow the examples in the learning materials, but have no idea how to make my own MEL/PyMEL programs, which can deal with problems in reality.

How do I make a Show Reel to win a Maya Pipeline TD job? Could anyone give me some tips? Thanks in advance.

fantasizer
02-17-2011, 01:42 AM
What are you interested in?

hanton
02-17-2011, 10:33 AM
All relates to make a Production Animation :)

Now, My interest in Maya Dynamics absorbs me completely, such as how to make Chinese WuXia, Chinese WuGong Effects.

fantasizer
02-17-2011, 11:03 AM
Why don't you go to CG Jobs (http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=319) and take a look at the job requirements? Like Disney Animation, they clearly distinguish character TD and lighting/FX TD. You have to choose what you're interested in and get some knowledge about it. I'm not sure if demo reel is that important nowadays. I've heard that you need to take part in a test before interview in some game studios. (Maybe they no longer believe in demo reels.) This is to screen fresh graduates. So you need to memorize commands and APIs.

hanton
02-17-2011, 01:14 PM
Thanks fantasizer!

Your tips of " I'm not sure if demo reel is that important nowadays. I've heard that you need to take part in a test before interview in some game studios. (Maybe they no longer believe in demo reels.) This is to screen fresh graduates. So you need to memorize commands and APIs." are very helpful to me

whisperwing
02-18-2011, 03:06 AM
if you are programmer, then yes most game studios will let you finish a programming test before they consider interview.

but I don't know about studios in China ...

ewerybody
02-18-2011, 11:29 AM
Your tips of " I'm not sure if demo reel is that important nowadays. I've heard that you need to take part in a test before interview in some game studios. (Maybe they no longer believe in demo reels.) This is to screen fresh graduates. So you need to memorize commands and APIs." are very helpful to medude! Use the quote-button! :D

I think you gonna need experience with a project!! Nothing schools you like a killer application! Just crapping a shiny reel together doesn't make you a good Pipeline TD. You need to know how people work and whats necessary to work streamlined. You need to work yourself with your stuff!

Most programmers actually do HORRIBLE scripts! Because they just don't work with Maya. They don't know whats really needed. On the other hand: Artist sometimes cannot express what they need exactly. (You probably know this image (http://fips.at/project-management.jpg)). If you manage to keep between the chairs ie: you know maya under the hood AND you know how stuff is created: You gonna be an awesome Maya TD!

I know it would be nice to pick the high hanging fruits first. But in my experience you need to start from the ground anyway.

Good luck though!

hanton
02-20-2011, 01:01 PM
Thanks ewerybody!

I think you gonna need experience with a project!! Nothing schools you like a killer application! Just crapping a shiny reel together doesn't make you a good Pipeline TD. You need to know how people work and whats necessary to work streamlined. You need to work yourself with your stuff!

Most programmers actually do HORRIBLE scripts! Because they just don't work with Maya. They don't know whats really needed.
Ewerybody, could you give some ideas for a newbie like me to get the first CG project?

I know it would be nice to pick the high hanging fruits first. But in my experience you need to start from the ground anyway.
Thank you for your advice. After I lost in the programming related sections of the Maya Online Help, such as <MEL and Expressions>, <Python>, and <Developer Resources>. I find the book <Complete Maya Programming: An Extensive Guide to MEL and C++ API> is really awesome for the first step! I also recommend it for people like me :cool:

CGTalk Moderation
02-20-2011, 01:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.