PDA

View Full Version : Don't know where to begin (Drawing)

Littlenorwegians
02-16-2011, 08:57 AM
OK, I have incredibly little experience, well, good experience with drawing.
I've doodled all my life, but I've been stuck dead in my tracks for as long as I can remember.

I read the tips and they confuse me a bit. Draw draw draw seems to be the answer.
Well, I just drew drew drew a face 5 times, tried different methods and where it falls short for me I'm not quite sure. I don't expect to be any good just after 5 times, but it was an experiment to see where I fall short and I realized. And this is not limited to faces. It's bodies, characters, environment.
I don't know where to even start. I mean, where do you start with these things? Do I learn sketching, anatomy, perspective, what?

I see there's heaps and heaps of tutorials and things aren't as obvious as start here, then go here.
I don't know where to start. I'm in the mood to get better, got the energy, but I need core basics.
I mean core basics.

Sorry if I come off as "guy who's frustrated because he can't draw and didn't do the obvious Nr.23423", really wasn't my intention.

Akinsthestarchild93
02-16-2011, 11:54 AM
Try reading fun with a pencil by Andrew Loomis. Also, work on foundational stuff like shapes, color theory, and hand eye-coordination. Thats what I am doing.

Littlenorwegians
02-16-2011, 12:45 PM
Try reading fun with a pencil by Andrew Loomis. Also, work on foundational stuff like shapes, color theory, and hand eye-coordination. Thats what I am doing.
I have that book on hand, actually. Borrowed it, but it got swamped under all the other stuff I found.
Tip from me, don't do what I did. Saturate your own learning, basically.

I'll read it and go from there. I seems pretty much like what I need.
The books on anatomy and such will just have to wait.

Thanks, I think I'll use this thread a little later. Tell about my progress and difficulties.
This'll be fun and challenging.

isee
02-18-2011, 06:01 PM
one of very important basic chapters which will help you understand harmony & aesthetics

it's big but simple
it's beautiful and repulsive

it is in every master work... it is the key

in old ways that was the language of god

nowadays... i look at the anomaly of it...

small but informative
repulsive yet beautiful

it is the uniqueness

Lunatique
02-20-2011, 06:16 AM
Fun With A Pencil is a good place to start since it was targeted at a younger audience. After that, you want to move onto Figure Drawing For All It's Worth and Successful Drawing--both are more advanced and written for adults. Then move onto Creative Illustration and Eye of the Painter--those are the most advanced books that Loomis have written.

xGoodyx
02-21-2011, 05:40 AM
Try
"Drawing realistic textures in pencil" by J.D.Hillberry, and "Drawing from Line to Life" by Mike Sibley.

megalmn2000
02-22-2011, 03:51 AM
Someone from Pixar or Walt Disney, I don't remember his name, told this:

"If you can draw the 4 fundamental shapes, which are the cube, the sphere, the cone and the cylinder, you can draw anything!"

Which means, those are the most basic shapes to draw. If you can draw them, then you can add more details and deform them to makes them looks like an object, just like 3D.
Ex: a book is a scaled cube, a car wheel is just a cylinder, etc...
Nothing big, but hope it helps!

Jemmeh
02-22-2011, 03:59 AM
Some basic topics to look into that are particularly good for beginners:

Generally you can google "Drawing for Beginners" such as what landed me on this page:
This page>>http://drawsketch.about.com/od/learntodraw/Beginner_Drawing_Lessons_Learn_To_Draw.htm

&&& Also~

Art Materials (If you don't know what a pencil is how will you use it? >> There is a variety of art tools for you to use, so look into what you are interested in. Traditional, Digital, etc)

Negative Space (Trains your eye to draw things more properly)

Blocking out forms/Gesture Drawing

Drawing a Still Life

Color Theory

Drawing what you See and not what you Think
Such as in this tutorial: http://www.artofraz.com/free-art-tutorials/drawing-is-seeing-art-tutorial.php

Simple perspective

Blind Contour

These are some great exercises but it's hard to beat just experimenting. :)
Of course anyone can benefit from knowing "the basics".

CGTalk Moderation
02-22-2011, 03:59 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.