PDA

View Full Version : FPS GUI crits

LOK76544
02-16-2011, 03:23 AM
Hey ya,

I'm new to the boards, and I've started to work on my portfolio. I'm really into the graphics side of game art, such as icons, buttons, menus, text, VFX, and GUIs. So, I'd like to start a WIP thread for a HUD design I'm working on, not for anything particular just for practice. It's designed in the same fashion as MEtroid Prime, Republic Commander and Ghost Recon AWF. Not really up to their standards yet (Mainly due to layout) but I'm hoping with your help I can get it presentable.

I didnt have a pretty background, so I used a screenshot from Crysis. Any suggestions is most appreciated. I'm looking for good, solid feedback that will improve this design. Thanks.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y246/BranDoom21/HUDshowoff.jpg

archerx
02-23-2011, 08:03 AM
I like where you're going with this but imagine that you had to wear the helmet. You're going into a warzone, you need to be sharp or you're dead. Everything in the HUD must be vital because it is your life that is at stake.

Think about it in that mind set and now think what does that blue outline do to help me? Will it Distract me in the middle of battle? Does it tell me anything?

Just ask yourself why everything is there and if you don't have a good enough answer change it or remove it.

I hope this helps :)

CGTalk Moderation
02-23-2011, 08:03 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.