PDA

View Full Version : SplineIK setup problem

UniqueCharacter
02-15-2011, 07:08 PM
Hello Rigging extraordinaires. I am a rigging novice/intermediate. I used to be decent back in my rigging classes in college, but it's been more than a few years. I tried posting a thread about this back in 2008, and quickly moved on to other things since the problem wasn't resolved. Here is the old closed thread:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=54&t=701158

I created my skeleton, controllers, ikSolvers, and have clustered the CV's for the SplineIK curve. It works fine until I try moving the rig around from the root controller. I'm clearly missing something from those rigging classes, because it moves the spine all strange. I've watched some videos and read some splineIK tutorials online, and all of them fail to show me how to parent my splineIK with its controls into the entire rig.

I really would like to get this rig finished so I can get some animation for my reel. I'd greatly appreciate some help from anyone who remembers what I clearly do not.

I'm using Maya 2008.

I uploaded the Maya file to my webspace for your review:

uniquecharacter.net/justRig.mb (http://forums.cgsociety.org/uniquecharacter.net/justRig.mb) (104KB)

Thanks in advance for your help!

uiron
02-16-2011, 08:35 AM
you've got a simple double transform issue - you're moving spine_curve1 along with root control, then on top of that, moving cluster deformers push curve shape further.
simpliest solution is to unparent spine_curve1 / put it somewhere else outside controller hierarchy.

in the future, try avoiding the use of object hierarchy like you do in this rig. joints, controls, intermediate setup nodes - everything in one big tree. with clever constrain usage, you can easily separate joints/other skin influences in one place, rig controls elsewhere, separate setup nodes into subgroups as well - this makes rig much easier to edit, as you can delete/recreate one part of it without messing up something else.

UniqueCharacter
02-16-2011, 01:13 PM
Thanks a BILLION uiron, very simple fix. Not sure why that wasn't easier for me to figure out.

Not quite sure what you mean by having clever constraint usage. If I used constraints, wouldn't it still keep my hierarchy together? I guess I'll mess around with it to try and simplify it. I'm just going by what I was taught in college and watched on videos. Your way makes sense though. Kudos and thanks for your gracious help!

peasjam
02-16-2011, 02:57 PM
You could also leave your scene structure as it was and uncheck inherits transforms on spine_curve1.

This prevents it inheriting transforms from nodes above it in the hierarchy, and would mean only the clusters had an effect on it.

Matt

CGTalk Moderation
02-16-2011, 02:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.