PDA

View Full Version : What IBL for videocomposting?

mattiasbergstrom
02-15-2011, 10:57 AM
I´ve got a question about witch image based lightning technique I should use for my 3D project in 3D studio max. I want do composite the model with real 2D footage in AE. So my light should be the same in 3D and 2D.

Mattias Bergström

noouch
02-15-2011, 03:11 PM
If you don't have a spherical HDRI environment from your footage, it would probably just be best to match the scene's lighting as good as you can with spotlights and directional lights.

If you're shooting your own footage and have access to a DSLR and a tripod, take some mirror ball snapshots of your scene. Some tutorials can be found here:

http://www.hdrlabs.com/tutorials/index.html

mattiasbergstrom
02-15-2011, 05:40 PM
thanks for the link. I´ve got a chrome ball so I could capture the light from the live scene in a HDR. But I don´t think I could light up a 3D scene just with an environment with that. Do I need a 3rd part plugin for that? My goal is to get same light in 3D as 2D.

noouch
02-15-2011, 06:38 PM
If you capture the full light range in your exposures and merge everything right, the lighting should match what you've shot in the plate. If you're shooting a scene with bright direct light sources, SmartIBL allows you to place lights which it will later automatically place in your scene. This is handy because for small light sources, renderers often have trouble sampling your IBL correctly, thus robbing you of hard shadows and making your scene look muddy.

3DS Max comes with Mental Ray. If you drop your HDRI in to the Environment Map slot, set the mapping type to spherical, and turn on final gather, said HDRI will function as an environment light in your scene. No extra plugins needed.

Check out this tutorial for more details: http://www.infinity-vision.de/ShaderUtilities/eng/su_ibl.htm

mattiasbergstrom
02-16-2011, 07:58 AM
Thanks. I saw the tutorial but I need a Pro version of Shader Utilites? But I don´t think Final gather is an optimal choice for animation in a video footage? Is it getting flickering?

Do you recomend smartIBL for me to light up my 3D object? What technique gives the best result? I want a alpha background so I can place my 3D object on my 2D footage in AE.

Mattias

mattiasbergstrom
02-16-2011, 09:12 AM
Am I right when I´m think I cannot use a mirror ball to capture the light and use it with smartIBL?

CGTalk Moderation
02-16-2011, 09:12 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.