PDA

View Full Version : Publishing edited Mel library function. Copyright infringement?

tommix
02-14-2011, 03:58 AM
Hi all,
I had the need to edit one of the Mel command library functions: MakeCurveDynamicHairs, because I needed some kind of return value to be able to script rigs with dynamic curves: easy as adding a couple of rows of code.
To overcome conflicts, I renamed the header of the function. I found the final code very useful and I would like to share it to the community by publishing it :hmm: on my blog, but before moving on, I want to know if I might have issues because the copyright.
The header of the code states:

// Copyright (C) 1997-2006 Autodesk, Inc., and/or its licensors.
// All rights reserved.
//
// The coded instructions, statements, computer programs, and/or related
// material (collectively the "Data") in these files contain unpublished
// information proprietary to Autodesk, Inc. ("Autodesk") and/or its licensors,
// which is protected by U.S. and Canadian federal copyright law and by
// international treaties.
//
// The Data is provided for use exclusively by You. You have the right to use,
// modify, and incorporate this Data into other products for purposes authorized
// by the Autodesk software license agreement, without fee.
// THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. AUTODESK
// DOES NOT MAKE AND HEREBY DISCLAIMS ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES
// INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE WARRANTIES OF NON-INFRINGEMENT,
// MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR ARISING FROM A COURSE
// OF DEALING, USAGE, OR TRADE PRACTICE. IN NO EVENT WILL AUTODESK AND/OR ITS
// LICENSORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY LOST REVENUES, DATA, OR PROFITS, OR SPECIAL,
// DIRECT, INDIRECT, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, EVEN IF AUTODESK AND/OR ITS
// LICENSORS HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OR PROBABILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.

As I understand, seems like I can edit the code for my purpose but I can't of course resell it (and I don't want to :) ). But what about sharing it?

Thanks

Robert Bateman
02-14-2011, 11:06 AM
You're asking *us* whether *someone else* will mind if you re-distribute their code? Maybe ask the *someone else* ?? ;)

tommix
02-14-2011, 04:01 PM
Hi, I am just asking *you* because many of *you* are developers and already know how things works. I have sent a mail to Autodesk and trust me, if I didn't mind, I would have already posted the code, as most people does out there.

thematt
02-15-2011, 03:17 PM
I'm not sure, but it must be fine as I've seen many other script done by autodesk and modify by someone being share on blog and website.As long as you leave the header I don't see why you should have problem.

cheers

NaughtyNathan
02-15-2011, 04:41 PM
I doubt Autodesk are going to mind us fixing all their broken code for free.. :D ;)

CGTalk Moderation
02-15-2011, 04:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.