PDA

View Full Version : SMC-D30 Information and Explanation

Williamwinkler
02-14-2011, 03:03 AM
Hey!

So I am very excited to bring to you SMC-D30 (Speed Modeling Challenge - Daily 30). For those of you that have read the post where this all started this will repeat some info and shed light on new information.

Every week on sunday I will post an item or body part for the weekly challenge. I will post a link to a blog spot for you to goto so you may download the reference images. Your task is to make a scene how ever you wish with your reference images, render camera, and settings. Save out this file as a blank slate for you to start with every day for the week. From Mon-Fri you will open this blank scene and model for 30 min. Bring the item as far as you can as fast as you can (zbrush it if you like, but we do want to see proper wireframes for good edge flow). You will do this every day, starting over every time from the scene that you made on sunday. At the end of the week post a animated gif of your images so we can see your growth in speed and quality. If there are questions on how to make this .gif I can make a "how to" youtube video. I'd like to se a rendered out a beauty and wireframe gif each. I also Recommend starting a blog spot (blogspot.com) so you can post your daily images, its free and you can "follow" others or be "followed" by others.

The idea of this is to grow your skills threw repetition and workflow. You can do this challenge with what ever reference or item you wish, though I provide an item. If you have a request for an item or race or body part you'd like to see done please let me know. This should help everyone from amateur to student to industry professional. This is meant to be a daily exercise at the beginning of your work day, but feel free to do it when ever. If you have any questions please post them here so I can edit this to make more sense.

Blog spot with reference images :: http://smc-d30-ref.blogspot.com/

Good Luck,
Wink

- The speed modelling challenges are open to everybody.
- In every challenge you will get a list of items. Pick one and try to model it as fast as possible. If you want, you can do all of them.
- Do not exceed the time limit of the challenge. If you're out of time and still haven't finished, post the unfinished model.
- If you finish before the time limit, spend the remaining time on refining and adding details to your model.
- Focus on modelling. Shading, lightning and "proper" rendering are optional (and thus not limited by time).
- Take as much time for reference hunting as you need.
- When posting your model make sure you post a wireframe of your model. (try to do more then one view of the model).
- You can do any challenge you want. The challenges are not closed when the SMC passes. If you fancy an older challenge, do that.
- For the concept items you have to create your own designs. If possible post the design images as well.

Gryshnak
02-14-2011, 09:01 AM
Okay, I'm in. If you can post a "how to" for the animated gif, that would help 'cos I haven't done one of those for years.

Gryshnak

CGTalk Moderation
02-14-2011, 09:01 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.