PDA

View Full Version : MAYA FLUID STUDY - Nuke Bomb

diegosouza
02-13-2011, 08:40 PM
hello guys,
iím creating this thread cause iím having some troubles to understand the workflows with maya fluids. I hope that it will be helpfull no just for me!

So, lately iíve been running to get some deep knowledge on fluids, looking some tutorials, threads here n stuff, praticing, everything going well till there. But nuke bombs likes to be more complex, then i decide go deep to have more control of my fluid, how more control, more knowledge acquired about fluids.

But have control isnt easy, not for me. :banghead:
Iíll be posting my doubts, and hope that at the end of this topic, we have some great results to show and share.

before anything else, thanks. :thumbsup:
n sorry for my english

diegosouza
02-13-2011, 09:31 PM
like i said, seeing the tutorials, i get myself very confused, their workflow was diferent, one the guy elevates (on emitter) the density, heat and fuel /voxel/sec up high, like density 30 heat 120 fuel 60 something like that, ok, in another the guy uses the fluidShape node : density, temperature scale and, fuel scale.

the guys that elevates the scales got a result a lot of better, but to me, works bad i lost completely the little control that i got with voxel/sec.

Whats the best way to get there?

i tried change everything on every test, some times on scaling, or emitter, but always the shapes get weird sometimes more than others.... maybe i'm missing something !

I have this scene (attached), that i did today, focusing only in the SHAPE of a starting nuke,
iím having some troubles to control the the velocity and the whole shape. whats the way (attributes) to control the top, and the middle of the nuke bomb shape?

where am i missing in this scene?
how can i improve it?
maybe only deleting n starting again, cause its ugly :arteest:

ginodauri
02-13-2011, 10:59 PM
Nuke and explosions are hardest things about fluids.

There is huge thread on cgtalk regarding this:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=86&t=757114&highlight=nuke

Personally i find fumefx to be easier and better for this stuff.

Good luck.

eaclou
02-14-2011, 01:18 AM
I'd like to second that link ginodauri posted. I read the whole thread a couple times through when I was trying to learn Maya Fluids, and it has some invaluable information.

Nukes are interesting also in that there are many different techniques to get the rolling effect (swirl; heat; fields; etc.) so you might end up trying all of them before you decide which is giving you the best results/most control.

Good luck

Calibrix
02-14-2011, 06:30 PM
Part of the process of learning fluids is that in the early stages, much of the time you won't know what your doing. Which is not bad, it's just how it is. What helped me learn was practice and good ol' fashion hard work. There's quite a bit of information out there. The link above is a great thread and helped me quite a bit too.

I wouldn't get too bend out of shape worrying about which technique is the best. It's more important to know what works for you. There are many, many ways of making explosions and nukes. And when you're working on a shot you may end up using some technique that would never work anywhere else. Instead, you should work at learning why certain techniques work. You need to learn the mechanics of fluid simulation, so you can accurately manipulate them. I don't read a tech paper; I mean run the fluid sim hundreds of times observing the effect of different parameters. If one doesn't make sense, then research that one attribute and if all else fails, ask about that one attribute on the forum.

I've found that you learn much more through experience.

diegosouza
02-16-2011, 12:09 AM
:cool: niiiice thread!
i hadn't seen it before.

ginodauri:
yea, they are reaaly hard. i think that fumefx is easier too, but my challenge is fluids in maya :bowdown:

eaclou:
nice tip, i read a little there, n i saw that everyone has their own way to get there

Calibrix:
thanks so much, opened my mind a little more, i'll spend more time alone trying some combinations

So, i'll read the thread, and be posting there from now on, thank you all! :thumbsup:

see you there "Ka-boom freaks"
http://migre.me/3SXSX

CGTalk Moderation
02-16-2011, 12:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.