PDA

View Full Version : Copying an entire hardrive

eliseu gouveia
10-20-2003, 12:01 AM
I´m not anywhere near a computer expert, I just use it for my Photoshop work, so I wonder if you folks can enlighten me on this technical hypothesis:

Imagine that I want to change my hardrive´s FAT32 format into the NTFS file format.
I tell someone who tells me that all the information will be lost during the FAT32 ->NTFS transition since the hardrive will have to be formatted.
He then offers to come over the next day with a hardrive (looks just like any regular hardrive) which he then connects to my computer´s USB terminals to store all my artwork while the hardrive reformat is taking place.
The computer won´t recognise the presence of a hardrive connected to its USB terminals, so the exchange is never made.

Now we enter into the realm of hypothesis.

Could this person, in the 2 minutes that these "attach-plug-to-USB-check-computer-dettach-plug-reattach-to-another-USB" proceedings take place, somehow get away with a copy of the 29 Gigs of artwork (and the chunk of my soul that I store there amidst the future projects, CVs and personal stuff)?

I really really need to know.

Emmortal1
10-20-2003, 12:22 AM
It wouldn't be technically possible for him to copy 29gbs of data through even USB 2.0. He might have been able to get some of it, but not the whole thing.

Emmortal

eliseu gouveia
10-20-2003, 12:39 AM
Hey, thanks, Emmortal1, I´m really relieved to learn this.

Not that I was trying to cast a shadow over the guy or anything, but whenever my hardrive´s content comes into play (considering that it really IS a window to my soul), I tend to get overly suspicious.

imashination
10-20-2003, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by eliseu gouveia
I´m not anywhere near a computer expert, I just use it for my Photoshop work, so I wonder if you folks can enlighten me on this technical hypothesis:

Imagine that I want to change my hardrive´s FAT32 format into the NTFS file format.

Start > Run
"cmd"
"convert c: /fs:ntfs"

Have fun.

eliseu gouveia
10-20-2003, 01:40 AM
Thanks for that, imashination, but just so I get this for sure, if I follow those steps in your link there won´t be any file lost in the FAT32->NTFS format change?

singularity2006
10-20-2003, 02:40 AM
the risk of doing a full conversion w/ data on the drive is VERY LOW. It's relatively safe and I've done it lotsa times with no problem.

eliseu gouveia
10-20-2003, 02:47 AM
Thanks, Singularity. :)
Anyway, just to be 120% sure, I´m gonna do some serious backups before I go for it.

Better safe than sorry, eh? ;)

singularity2006
10-20-2003, 03:37 AM
yah, that's so true, especially if it's some seriously crucial data. Anyhow, I have some pretty crazy hardware that is used by crime labs that copies data via the computer's parallel port when the computer is powered on. It's proprietary stuff my uncle let me play with for a while. It copies stuff bit for bit through the parallel port so the person would never know someone was there and it also retains everything for crime lab investigations in digital crime.... freaky but cool stuff. Takes bloody ages though through parallel.

eliseu gouveia
10-20-2003, 12:05 PM
Damn, that stuff sounds dangerous!
If criminals got a hold onto it.........:surprised

MattClary
10-20-2003, 01:22 PM
I've converted more drives than I care to count and never lost any data. I always set systems up with Fat32 (FAT in the day of NT) and convert once everything is up and running.

imashination
10-20-2003, 02:34 PM
I've maybe half a dozen conversions with no dataloss. Backup the absolute essentials though.

danylyon
10-20-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by MattClary
I've converted more drives than I care to count and never lost any data. I always set systems up with Fat32 (FAT in the day of NT) and convert once everything is up and running.

I've read somewhere, that it's better to make a clean format to NTFS, cos it can put the Index Table in the middle of the disk, where it can access it the fastest way.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.