PDA

View Full Version : Maya Mental ray renderfarm.. How to update software..?

wolverine
02-12-2011, 08:22 PM
Hi..

How do people out there update their render node software ? Like updating the whle farm to 2011 SP1.

As I understand it.. You need Maya installed on all nodes for it to be able to render on a farm. This alone I see could take a lot of time to do as installing one maya alone could take 10/15min.
From what I understand from for example Lightwave. You install it once and all nodes look at a shared directory with the .exe.. Is this possible at all with Maya ? If not.. Do people actually go node by node (remote desktop) to install software updates ?

Thanx.

foggyball
02-14-2011, 02:20 PM
If you use a render farm manager you maybe able to use that to update/install packages.

We use mentalray standalone and Qube on OS X. I've found it easier to write simple shell scripts which install packages located on a files sever. I then send this as a job to each render node via Qube which runs and installs the required software.
It can get complicated when it comes to user accounts and passwords etc, so it depends how many nodes you have when deciding if this approach will save you time.

Dave

wolverine
02-17-2011, 10:59 AM
Have you ever tried just copying the files.. say c:\program files\autodesk\maya2011 to all nodes, instead of uninstall and re-install the whole thing ? I wonder if that works ? :)

CGTalk Moderation
02-17-2011, 10:59 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.