PDA

View Full Version : Multiple UDIM rendering in Mental Ray?

aquafat11
02-12-2011, 06:32 PM
Hi all! It's been great to see everyones WIPs thus far and I hope to post something soon. Before I get too far into this I had a question about rendering for Dezkin. Since he has multiple UV texture spaces (47 I think), Mari exports by default with this:

channel.UDIM#.extension.

So my maps have come out as:

color.1001-1047.tiff

Do any of you have any idea how to render with these maps in Mental Ray with out having to assign the specific UDIM texture to the corresponding object? I know that in Renderman, when you input the texture file into the shader you just have to replace the UDIM number with a wildcard, something like this:

file location/color.#.tif

and it will automatically assign the correct texture to the correct obj.

So anyway, does anyone know how to do this in Mental Ray? Does the Renderman method work for Mental Ray as well?

aquafat11
02-13-2011, 03:21 PM
Really, know one knows? :(

molman
02-16-2011, 11:22 AM
Really, know one knows? :(

Im fairly sure there is a way of doing this using Mental Ray in Maya when setting up the shader group, you can use the Add/Multiply node. Then plug in each file. I cannot get access to my Maya atm, but i can post a screenshot later.

Campi
02-16-2011, 02:05 PM
Turn off wrap in the 2d placement, plug a second node into the first file loaders default color. Offset second node by one. Create next node, turn off wrap and plug into second nodes default color. Build a chain, name it save it,duplicate and reuse.
Add a filename and copy line from script editor. Use that to batch change the entire chain's filenames.

aquafat11
02-16-2011, 02:09 PM
Thanks guys, though being an artist I have a hard time picturing this in my head... ;) would you mind posting a screen shot? Thanks heaps!

molman
02-16-2011, 03:25 PM
Thanks guys, though being an artist I have a hard time picturing this in my head... ;) would you mind posting a screen shot? Thanks heaps!

http://i.imgur.com/ibXv3.png

So you get each file node allocated to a certain patch, you can attach them to the plus-minus as input3D by middle mouse dragging the file (aka the location of your patch) onto the plusMinus node (which you can find in Maya). Then middle mouse drag the plusMinus onto the selected shader and have its input as colour.

Now to set the File (aka patch) to the correct UDIM from Mari you need to look at the files place2dTexture and make sure the translate frame is set to the right co-ordinates (So each patch youve exported from Mari, matches up with the sequence in the UV view in Maya).

Hope this helps, its a bit confusing but just play around with it. If in doubt try this link http://eat3d.com/maya-displacement-maps at some point during this he will talk about plugging in lots of Displacement maps into 1 Displacement node. That is the part that is particularly relevent to this.

fuzilogic
02-16-2011, 06:13 PM
edited - scratch that and the above, it blows out the color values(plusminusaverage node)

CGTalk Moderation
02-16-2011, 06:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.