PDA

View Full Version : texture sizes

Wycoff3d
10-19-2003, 09:27 PM
Is there a rule of thumb - or a formula - for creating textures for 3d models? Like if you have a model that is x size and you need to make sure the texture has enough resolution to cover it? I created one but it was small and not enough info and when it renders it looks bad. But I dont want to create a file thats like 50megs when I only need 5 megs.

theGuest
10-20-2003, 07:58 AM
Well first off... if you want to create anything even remotely "high end" looking... you're simply going to have to suck it up for having large file sizes. It the nature of the beast. ( albeit 50mb in textures is ludicrous unless you have a very large and elaborate scene/animation )

Second... image resolution is dictated by the level of detail one needs/wants. The more detail you need your texture to have, the greater it's dimensions should be. Try starting off with 1024 for decent quality textures. But bear in mind that not ALL your textures need by large in dimension. Distant objects and objects not in the main focus can be lower res tiles.

Anyone else have anything to add?

:wavey:

dwin
10-21-2003, 12:09 PM
I'll add something.

You should consider how close the object with you. If you're trying to make it close up a big size texture will be a great choice because i will reduce the pixel to show up.

I agree that you should make a big size first and then scale it down when you not really need it in big size.

Hope this can help

halo
10-21-2003, 01:05 PM
its easy to work out....slap a chequerboard on the object, then render it as close as you think it will get....measure the amount of pictures a chequer takes up and use that to relate to the size of your map...ie if you have 10 chequers going across you mapped area and it gets close enough that a chequer takes up 100 pixels, then you need some thing at least 1000 pixels, add a say 50% for error/distortion/room for manuover and you'll end up with a 1500 pixel render.

you'd be suprised, you can easily clock up 50mb in one texture alone, just for PAL work. Of course the fun really starts when you start doing high res work at 4000 pixels wide, then you can really start looking at 100's of mb for all your maps together.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.