PDA

View Full Version : How do I quickly select edges for unwraps?

YamahaAlex37
02-11-2011, 03:49 PM
I am learning how to unwrap with XSI, but in the tutorials I follow the author is able to quickly select multiple edges that seem to follow along a line, like here at 0:50 seconds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZrQtFlo7 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZrQtFlo7o0)

For me, simply selecting that tool does not have the same effect. Is there a shortcut key he may be pressing to select all in between edges? Thanks!

ndog
02-11-2011, 04:14 PM
Hold Alt then middle click on an edge.
I don't know if it will work with all the selection types, try F7 through F11 to set the selection type. You'll need to check the manual to be sure.

luisRiera
02-11-2011, 07:45 PM
1) alt + middle click will select the entire edge loop

|_______________________________________|

|____________alt+middle click______________|

2) left click on one edge, then alt left click again in another edge along the edge loop that you want will select the edges in between them.

"autodesk softimage" letters), click the option "select edge loop", and from there, just middle
|______click_______________alt+click________|

3) Also, you can go to the Select menu to the top right section of the UI (below the click the menu for a quick acces to the last used tool (wich would be "select edge loop")

edit: I need to add that these tips works with softimage shortcuts, found under File > Interaction model > Softimage.

YamahaAlex37
02-12-2011, 07:31 PM
Thanks so much guys!

Now, is it possible to select edges without worrying about XSI selecting edges on the OTHER side of my model? It seems every time I go through selecting edges I am constantly having to flip the model around and undo the random edges that got selected.

Jesse-Irvin
02-12-2011, 11:22 PM
use the raycast select "i" instead of the rectangle select "e" or go into the preferences and under selection turn on raycast in shaded mode

Chris-TC
02-14-2011, 06:53 PM
1) alt + middle click will select the entire edge loop

|____________alt+middle click______________|
If you first select an edge, then Alt+middle click on another edge of an edge ring, the whole edge ring gets selected. Of course all of these techniques also work with polygons. For edges I recommend using edge raycast (I), for polygons I recommend using poly raycast (U).

And you can combine the alt selections with Ctrl and/or Shift in order to add or remove from existing selections. This way you can very quickly make complex selections.

Example: You select an edge loop with Alt+middle click. Then you want to remove part of the loop. So you hold Ctrl and left click on the first edge you want removed. Then you hold Ctrl+Shift+Alt and click on the last edge you want removed. All edges between first and last will be removed.
Now you want to add an edge ring somewhere to the selection. Shift click on the first edge of the ring. Then Shift+Alt+middle click on another edge of the ring, and it gets added.

CGTalk Moderation
02-14-2011, 06:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.