PDA

View Full Version : MR in Maya or Max?

SebastianJW
02-11-2011, 10:29 AM
I have noticed when I first set up my sun sky in Maya it was a pain in the ass for me and others - getting the renders correct with the gamma corrections and sun intensity ect. In Max it was a click of a few things and your ready to go. To get my lighting correct in Maya I calibrated it to the same scene I made and rendered in Max.

This got me thinking is Max more naturally integrated with with Mental Ray or is Maya just a fiddly pain sometimes? Also, does this suggest that Max is more capable of better renders than Maya?

I have not enough experience myself to come to a conclusion so I bring my questions to you :)

michaelaaut
02-11-2011, 01:13 PM
My answer would be no.

You can get from both sofware packages and both render engines the same result.
It's just different to handle.

Vray may be better integrated into Max, because it started with max.
But you can achieve with mental ray the same results.

But... for me... mental ray is more a pain, because it's more complicated... less features... just think about the LWF with mental ray & the Frame Buffer.

The sun and sky system in max is better from me perspective of view, because you can link it directly with the daylight system.... which is very nice, because so you can reproduce any kind of lighting just with the right data (Time, Location, etc.)

CGTalk Moderation
02-11-2011, 01:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.