PDA

View Full Version : What's a good Rigging Topic to have a thesis about?

amazingjay
02-10-2011, 11:37 PM
any suggestions, guys and gals?

archanex
02-11-2011, 05:15 AM
how about the topic of "great deformations" :)

amazingjay
02-11-2011, 06:40 AM
how about the topic of "great deformations" :)

That's a good start.... but the subject needs to be narrower than that. Your topic is too broad.

dunkelzahn
02-11-2011, 01:03 PM
Muscle and facial rigging?

amazingjay
02-11-2011, 06:08 PM
Muscle and facial rigging?

Be more specific... for example, any specific muscle part of muscle movement that you have in mind?

pooby
02-12-2011, 02:59 PM
No offense, but it's your thesis, not theirs.
When someone is offering help It's better to thank them rather than just critique their input or demand specifics.

amazingjay
02-12-2011, 03:06 PM
No offense, but it's your thesis, not theirs.
When someone is offering help It's better to thank them rather than just critique their input or demand specifics.

Apologies if it came across like that to you. My responses were for the purpose of bridging the conversation further.

pooby
02-12-2011, 09:04 PM
Duplicate post

pooby
02-12-2011, 09:20 PM
Duplicate post

eek
02-13-2011, 02:50 AM
You could write about why certain rigging approaches have risen above others, and become the standard.

E.g. Reverse Foot Setup.

You have lots to talk about, kinesiology, standardization, ui. The balance of automation over manual controls - whether is driven purely from the technology , animators or the industry etc etc..

amazingjay
02-13-2011, 02:55 AM
You could write about why certain rigging approaches have risen above others, and become the standard.

E.g. Reverse Foot Setup.

You have lots to talk about, kinesiology, standardization, ui. The balance of automation over manual controls - whether is driven purely from the technology , animators or the industry etc etc..

WOW! That is straight to the point! That's definitely on the top of my list now! Thanks Eek/Charles!

oliveoyle
02-13-2011, 07:47 AM
Rotation problems, gimbal lock and the Quaternion tag, which I use for shoulder, elbow and wrist in FK mode to get good arcs in animation. And, proper procedure for modifying a rig and the binding. I finding building rig to be easy, but when I have to make change later and hit one button and the whole thing goes crazy, I then have to rebuild it.

Olive

amazingjay
02-13-2011, 02:59 PM
I finding building rig to be easy, but when I have to make change later and hit one button and the whole thing goes crazy, I then have to rebuild it.

Olive

Can you give an example of "hit one button"? I don't understand that part in your post.

And Yeah, binding is my least favorite part in rigging. Maybe doing a thesis about it can help me understand it more.

oliveoyle
02-13-2011, 07:30 PM
I didn't mean anything specific by saying hit one button. Sometimes the rig break when making some adjustments or adding things.

IkerCLoN
02-13-2011, 07:34 PM
Cannot understand why someone is asking about subjects for his thesis. As far as I know you write your thesis at the end of your PhD. Aren't you suposed to know what you want and what you are good at at that point?

If you write a bit about your background it would be a lot easier to throw some ideas in. Eek ideas are always super nice, but you might be a 15 year old boy and you could not dissert as him on that matter (no offense, he has a lot of experience that you might not have).

amazingjay
02-13-2011, 08:43 PM
Cannot understand why someone is asking about subjects for his thesis. As far as I know you write your thesis at the end of your PhD.

Thesis can exist in any level of study and is not necessarily for PhD degrees only. There are theses that are part of Master's degrees and Bachelor's degrees. I've actually heard of thesis option in some high school curriculum as a senior project -- of course, this is not as extensive compared to university theses.

Anyhow, since you asked, I'm almost at the end of my two-year Master's program. But yeah, part of the problem is that when a topic has been researched already, I cannot do a thesis on it and must look for another topic. Hence the reason why I'm asking. =)

IkerCLoN
02-15-2011, 12:38 AM
Thesis can exist in any level of study and is not necessarily for PhD degrees only. There are theses that are part of Master's degrees and Bachelor's degrees. I've actually heard of thesis option in some high school curriculum as a senior project -- of course, this is not as extensive compared to university theses.

Anyhow, since you asked, I'm almost at the end of my two-year Master's program. But yeah, part of the problem is that when a topic has been researched already, I cannot do a thesis on it and must look for another topic. Hence the reason why I'm asking. =)

Thanks for pointing that out, I was not aware of that :)

CGTalk Moderation
02-15-2011, 12:38 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.