PDA

View Full Version : Parallel lights with falloff

curannon
02-10-2011, 12:24 PM
Hi!

I just switched to maya from max and has a question about lighting. Is there a way to get a parallel light
that is restricted to a certain area. Like shooting a tube of parallel lights. When I use the directional light the whole scene is affected but I need to "point light" my scene with a number of directional lights. I found a script that adds falloff on directional lights but that script doesn't take into account the rotation of the light.

How do you maya guys adress this. Do you always need to add geometry to block out light from certain areas or do you use point lights with a very narrow cone and place them far away to simulate the sun?

scrimski
02-10-2011, 12:34 PM
Have a look at Decay and Far/Near Attenuation.

curannon
02-10-2011, 12:44 PM
Have a look at Decay and Far/Near Attenuation.

Thats sounds like Max? Where can you find decay and Far/Near Attenutation in Mayas directional lights?

did some more search and the term seems to be "parallel spotlights" but I can't find anything for maya

scrimski
02-10-2011, 01:08 PM
Sorry, misread your post.

CGTalk Moderation
02-10-2011, 01:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.