PDA

View Full Version : Animation Reel: The External World

jipe
02-09-2011, 02:59 PM
Hi! I was lucky enough to work on David OReilly's short film "The External World" last year. It played at a bunch of festivals, including Venice and Sundance, and he released the full film online yesterday so I can share some of my animation work with all of you:

http://jimlevasseur.com/reel

p.s. Currently available for freelance character animation :)

http://virb.com/storage/424535/jlevasseur_animReel2010.jpg

Mudokon83
02-09-2011, 04:34 PM
First off, great reel, one of the most refreshing ive seen in awhile.

The reason behind that is good and bad, i think the reel feels like a crazy crazy pieced together short film, which obviously is because it IS pieced together FROM a short film. (ive recently watched the full external world short now).

This reel will definitely get the attention of any company you submit it to, no doubt in my mind, the only thing I worry about is that because theres all this other stuff, they might wonder if you did anything else like dialogue, lighting etc, in that i mean, you dont have any simple playblasted maya work, to just SHOW your animation skills.

Its kinda a weird critique i know, but I thought id say what I thought coming away from watching the reel.

TL:DR - great reel, good luck and keep adding more animation!

ragdoll
02-11-2011, 12:32 AM
i enjoyed this! good job on all your shots! although cut up from different projects, you edited it nicely :thumbsup: you kept the weirdness consistent! :D good luck!

NickWhitmire
02-11-2011, 12:59 AM
man that was awesome.......weird, but awesome. Love the creepy style and I thought all the animation was well carried out. Congrats :)

MrcorroC
02-11-2011, 02:28 AM
This has got to be the most weirdest animation reel I've ever seen, It catches your attention, it makes you laugh and then makes you say,......what? anyway man that ending was pretty creepy, the animation is good for the style that you choose, I personally liked the guy that tried to copy Mario bros, he was hilarious.But I thought the guy playing the piano one the other hand was a bit boring and stiff, I think with this reel you should try showing what you can do with different moving styles besides just sitting down and random stuff happening and being said, but at the same I did enjoy the random characters on the subway, with a random character coming outta no where with drums making noise, that was funny. Well sorry I wrote so much but um...yeah.

Whitmire
02-11-2011, 06:50 PM
Dude, that was awesome. great style. .......very weird. Refreshing to see! hahaha. Kudos.

rept0r
02-11-2011, 10:08 PM
Just checked the external world yesterday, man it is such a blast, i wish i could pull out such a weird masterpiece, i am a big fan of david since long time,my stuff is on the weird road too but i havent managed to finish it to its full potential, i am very jealous of such weird things you are pulling out, if you talk to david tell him that i went nutz went naked to the bus stop tought i discovered how to time travel and eaten a crucifix and after 3 days going nutz i finally lost conscious and woke up in a hospital, spent 2 months isolated from reality with the weirdest psychopats you could ever find, good luck to him i am ****ed up.it might be inspiring to him. i cant talk to him cause he is not on my league anymore but you can so tell him the good news, i am no longer a competitor in this ****ed up competition for gloom and glory.

jipe
02-12-2011, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys! Especially rept0r, for the most creative comment ever.

Colin: I agree completely. Currently working on some fun personal shots that show off more polish and variety (physicality, acting, etc.) and my next reel cut will be a lot more balanced. Thanks for the constructive crit.

-jim

CGTalk Moderation
02-12-2011, 11:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.