PDA

View Full Version : few questions about controllers

adamdaly
02-09-2011, 01:05 PM
I've looked at lots of tutorials and videos on rigging characters. I like the idea of a spline ik spine with fk controllers but what bothers me about this set up is that in extreme poses it causes the spline to stretch and therefore causes the mesh to stretch with it. This wouldn't be noticeable for small movements i guess but it kinda annoys me, is there a way around this.

I've also been thinking about face rigs. I've experimented a bit with morphs but i'd like to have more control using bones. But setting up controllers has me a bit confused. Do you just leave the bones free to be moved about in local space, or do you create a gui and set up predetermined movements for each bone?

thanks

adam

freakmoomin
02-09-2011, 04:10 PM
if you dont want your spine to stretch at all then why use a spline IK system.....just do basic FK......or you could limit the amount the animator can stretch the spine or whatever.....but that sounds like overkill.......FK :)

everyFrame
02-09-2011, 04:17 PM
It's been awhile since I've used maya. But If I recall correctly, the spline IK by default does not stretch... has it changed?

I guess it entirely depends on the type of character your rigging, but remember, Character animators kick ass. they break things down to the frame, and track everything frame by frame by frame. It's their craft, and by disabling certain movements or constricting the rig to "real world" physical motion can sometimes be a bottle neck for the animator to hit a certain pose or emphasis.

I don't think there are any rules to it, so just go with your gut, and what looks good. Cause ultimately, that's what matters, it looks good.

For all the bone based face rigs I've encountered and studied, I'd have to say anything goes. some people like "dorrito" type controls on the face, some prefer sliders (ugh) and some prefer Osipa style controls. I like a combination of all them. for things like pupil dilation, a slider works great. scaling a controller up or down would be a nuisance. but for things like the eyebrow controls, a slider would be a pain in the arse.

I'd say play around with it, see what your like to animate with. if your not the animator, then go ask an animator what they'd prefer. for example, everything moves in some sort of an arc, But if bones are free to translate and rotate then the animator will have to animate that arc. NO PROBLEM! for most animators. Some may prefer that Arc just happens because they translated a controller in one Axis.

That's the beauty of Face rigging, there really are no rules, just things to avoid. ;) it's very rewarding.

All the Best!

CGTalk Moderation
02-09-2011, 04:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.