PDA

View Full Version : [C++] Guidelines on node complexity.

ganzo
02-09-2011, 07:43 AM
Hey guys,

A node I'm developing has reached a point where I start to have doubts about its complexity. I was wondering from your experience, what have you established as personal rules concerning nodes. For example... when do you decide that the compute method has reached a level of complexity where it would be wiser to divide it up into two nodes. Or is it more goal based? Such as if your compute method has become very complex, but if it all serves a single end purpose..then there is no problem about complexity.

So basically how specific should a nodes function be? I'm trying to keep nodes simple and focused on a specific task...but then I don't want to have a large set of nodes. So how do you find middle ground between tons of nodes...and few very complex nodes computing tons of different tasks.

Robert Bateman
02-09-2011, 11:42 AM
It's just a trade off between "doing it right" and "doing it quickly". Ideally smaller less complex nodes are preferable, but sometimes you just don't care and need to get something done (or have stuff in production that can't be changed easily). As long as your nodes aren't completely insane un-maintainable nightmares, you'll normally be ok....

ganzo
02-12-2011, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the reply Rob, I guess keeping the code readable and well commented makes a complex node easy to maintain.

CGTalk Moderation
02-12-2011, 09:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.