PDA

View Full Version : Cluster/parent constraint/rotation problem

BeauBaPhat
02-09-2011, 06:07 AM
I have rigged a character, and I used clusters to control smaller aspects of the character's rig. IE- sideburns. The way it's set up now, I have a cluster attached to verts. Then I have that cluster parent constrained to a control. The control is within it's own group, and cluster is within it's own group and both groups are parent constrained to the head control. So when I move the cluster control, it moves the cluster which moves the sideburn based on the cluster weights I painted.

So far so good, but here comes the problem. When I rotate the character 180 degrees, then move the cluster control, the translate on the X and Z are flipped. Forward is backwards, left is right. Somehow the cluster's orientation is not rotating along with the rig it is parent constrained to.

I have searched the web looking for any posts on this topic, but found none that fit my scenario or solved it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

nuternativ
02-10-2011, 01:41 AM
Insted of constraint, use direct connect:
Create a control, group it, snap it right at the cluster, constraint the ctrl's group to the head joint. Leave the cluster at the origin. Make connections between translate and rotate from the control to the cluster.
Reorder the deformations by putting the cluster UNDER the skinCluster.

that's it! hope this helps.

CGTalk Moderation
02-10-2011, 01:41 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.