PDA

View Full Version : facial expression

Bigeye
06-03-2002, 06:06 AM
Hi all,

I'm a Maya user. Most of the method who wanted to create the facial animation would like to choose the blend sharp. Do anyone know the other method for making facial expression? I wonder to search and review about some tutor or advice to talk about the facial expression!

Thanks all for your great help!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

twidup
06-04-2002, 06:58 PM
well, it all depends on how much control you want and how long you are willing to take to set it up.

Other than BlendShapes or morphs, I know a lot of ppl that use weighted bones to adjust the facial muscles, or you could use Clusters to set up groups.

To get the most control, I would use a morph for the basic shapes, and then use a combination of Clusters to create hard/heavy wrinkles, and bones to adjust fine detail or to tweak a position. Of course, you could set those to work with SDK or expressions to automate thier motions.

-Todd

Bigeye
06-05-2002, 04:07 AM
:) Thank you very much for your suggestion, Todd !

All the methods that you show I wanta try. For my charactor, I will create a sadness angel. That's why I planned to create many many controls for her facial expression. I heard that it must need over 50 controls for a great facial expression setting. I concern that it might be more complex to handle them. How do you think ?
:shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

bentllama
06-05-2002, 04:08 AM
wire deformers work wonders in conjunction with blend shapes...

twidup
06-08-2002, 08:03 AM
It all comes down to what you are using and how much time you have to rig it. I use primarily LightWave 7.5, but I also use max 4/CS or Maya when I have. I will admit, of the 2, I prefer Maya.
As for how I set up faces, well, I typically make a ton of morph targets, and then set up SockMonkey segments or bones to make adjustments in animation. as for the number of morphs, its a lot, as I do a few wierd tricks with them.
If you look at films, Shrek had 300 blend shapes for their "hero" models.

M-J
06-25-2002, 10:48 PM
has anyone ever tried out influence objects? do you think they are better than blendshapes?

i'm asking because i'm trying to rig a character's face and i'm still not sure which method to use...i heard about those influence objects but never tried them out myself...

btw, is there a way in maya to deform the face mesh in a way that the volume of the "muscles" stays the same (like squash and strech)?? i mean like the muscle bones in project:messiah...

thanks guys

Lomax
07-03-2002, 03:57 AM
If it's muscle-driven facial animation you're after, you might wait for Absolute Character Tools for Maya (if its really being made).

One technique I'm using right now is clusters along with morphs. I have a copy of my character's head set as a blendshape, and I have a bunch of clusters on it, based on the muscles. To make things easier, I've added extra attributes to the head joint, which drive the clusters.
One advantage to this technique is memory. Clusters use a lot less than blendshape targets.
:)

M-J
07-05-2002, 03:53 PM
for what do you need the blenshapes then? :curious:
i mean, you're just using clusters if i understand correctly...

Lomax
07-06-2002, 04:24 AM
The blendshape is more of a work-around that I've grown comfortable with. I've been modeling in Maya for over a year now, but I've only started using the animation controls in the past few months. One problem I ran into was the clusters wouldn't follow my mesh. I'm sure there's a way to fix this, but in my rush to get things set up, I settled for applying the clusters to a blendshape, instead of the main mesh. Some of the ways this helps is it keeps the history on the main mesh nice and compact, and if I need to speed up interactivity, I can just turn the blendshape to 0 to disable the facial animation.

Might not be the best technique, but it works for me. :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.