PDA

View Full Version : How can I creat dust on these bottles?

AcmeImages
02-08-2011, 05:55 PM
Mornin!
So I am trying to create some dust on bottles like these:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_HUQrFSEJcvQ/TCpFFGhQnPI/AAAAAAAABIU/dABu1t2QdbU/s1600/vintage+apothecary+bottles+8.jpg

Since I am really new to texturing and rendering, I know I am not doing this right. Do I need to set up some sort of noise into the facing ratio to create only dust on top of the bottles?

Thanks in advance!

Chris

nookie
02-08-2011, 06:11 PM
you can use the "snow" node to put dust only on geometry that is facing up

animatedfox
02-08-2011, 06:11 PM
You could use a surface luminance node connected to a directional light pointed straight down.
This should give you a mask of the areas that would be dusted from above.
Plug the output of the surfluminance node to the vCoord of a ramp (assuming you only have one light driving it with an intensity of 1 or less you shouldn't need to clamp or remap it)
You can then use the ramp to adjust the falloff of the mask...throw some noise in there and you are gonna start getting some dustiness.
Pair that with some facing ratio addition to amp up the appearance of the dust on those farther away edges.
It will be sweet!

alienpioneer
02-11-2011, 10:50 AM
Jeremy Engleman had a tutorial with dusty glasses on Gnomonology.He used fur for the dust.Of course with very small lenght, and with very low density.Might help to use mia_material, and map the roughness for the upper part of the glasses.Hope it will work.

CGTalk Moderation
02-11-2011, 10:50 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.