PDA

View Full Version : New speed modeling?

Williamwinkler
02-08-2011, 08:39 AM
Hey guys,

So I'm not sure how exactly to approach this but here I go. I am a student at Fullsail, I graduated in 2006 and have returned as a "completer" student (I basically learn new techniques and take some extra classes to up my degree). I tend to talk to a lot of the newer students and friends of mine always trying to figure out new work flows and ways to get better/faster at our craft. This SMC section to cg talk has always interested me, but I was never "impressed" with my own work to want to join. Now I feel more confident in my work and driven to become better I am sad to see this section has faded from the looks of things. This is something I would like to share with the community here on CGtalk.

A phrase that always stuck with me is "Your first 6 things are going to suck, your next 6 will be good, and so on and so forth. Now get through them fast so you can make the great stuff". I advise others and my self to start the day off with a speed test in order to "Get threw the crap & get to the great stuff". At the beginning of the week (or what ever time frame you give your self for this) make a preprepared scene for a fresh start. For example a Bust of someone: set up your front & sides, have a folder with reference images, set up render cams, and create a project. Once this is created and name it what ever you like but as a clean start. Every day you begin your day you open that file and GO, model as much as you can, as fast as you can, for how ever long you set aside for this task (I plan to give my self 30min or 1 hour). At the end of the time frame stop, take images of your work, and save out with whatever naming convention you create for your self. At the end of the week look back at your progression, learn, study, and adapt your new skills to your work.

I am not sure if this should or could be done with organic and/or hard surface modeling. I personally am most interested in character modeling, but do both. This process was inspired by one method that was taught to me as a child to learn to draw and a way I used to learn how to dance. This could be carried over to animation, speed painting, rigging, or any other craft. I feel this would help me and many other become faster, better, more skilled in our craft. I have also found that by posting my works on this website has pushed me to stay on top of my self and make sure I keep up with my skills. If doing this "daily speed warm up" something that interest anyone I would love to do this with you, I will take the photographs of the items to model and reference image (use them if you like or use your own) and post them at the beginning of the week. Please reply on here if this is something you'd like to do.

Thank,
Wink

BenjiCS
02-08-2011, 11:12 AM
Hey there, I also am a current student at Full Sail University and have been exposed to this idea of speed modeling, much in the same ways I speed paint in Photoshop. I think this thread would be a good way to keep those interested on track, and a good way to track one's progress.

I'm down, I'll start setting up my "preprepared" project and start posting!

Happy Modeling everyone!

whom
02-08-2011, 04:51 PM
I have been posting speed models here for a while now and have also been setting up the smc sessions after MSus.
This sounds great actually, so you mean one object (model) each week?
....Better turn the speed sessions into something that works instead of a decline, that was why I was asking for someone to takeover here.

William, just post it now and we can try it out. :)
Just keep the thread titles organized so that they are easy to follow.....

Sincerely
Mattias

Gryshnak
02-08-2011, 09:02 PM
Sounds good to me! When modelling isn't working for me, I sometimes set things up for other projects on my building list - reference images in a folder, 3-views on planes and lined up etc - and save them ready for when my brain comes back online. Then I forget about them! Months later I'll stumble across the folder and find everything ready to go. It makes modelling so much easier if you can just sit down, open the file, and have everything already prepared!

Gryshnak

Williamwinkler
02-09-2011, 01:30 PM
Hey guys,
I appreciate all the support in this, its very motivating. There are also a few other Fullsail students that are excited to join this thread.

Gryshnak- Yea I know exactly what you mean with just rolling accost set up scenes, That happened to me last week when I started modeling my Honda Delsol.

God-of-Zilla - I noticed you had been keeping it alive, reading your last post on the other thread asking for "back up" is what really was my inspiration to speak up and propose this to you guys. Yes the idea is One Model for 5 days. You would only work on the model for 30 min or 1 hour and stop, render some images, and post on here for us all to see. You would start over brand new in the scene every day for the 5 days. The idea of this is threw repetition and practice to create a fast and skilled work flow for organic/hard surface objects.

I decided that I would provide an object or body part with images every Sunday for people to work on in a post but they are welcome to do there own item (hard or organic, same part/thing or just something you want done). I will also take request on things for me to capture for everyone to explore. I feel its important to explore different objects and body parts/types to create a diverse skill set.

I also think it would be nice to occasionally have an all out challenge sometime in the year or when ever to see if our community could fill the speedy shoes. The idea of the practice is to create and practice a fast/memorable work flow for your self, so you can create things with good skill and fast. The challenge would be to build as much of or a complete character in 4 hours, 30 min head/hands/feet/chest and 2 hours remain for refining the rest. This is an achievable goal for a character modeler. That is just another thought we could do to put the skills learned here to the test.

If anyone has any more questions about this please post them, I'm always on here checking my WIP's and this thread threw out the day(and night if you noticed lol). Keep your eyes out on Sunday(Feb 13) for the images and another detailed instruction manual for this challenge. Till then I will talk to you guys here on the thread.

Have a good day,
Wink

whom
02-09-2011, 10:02 PM
I will be looking for the thread on Sunday, this sounds awesome.
Thanks again William. :)

BreeL
02-12-2011, 12:12 AM
Super excited!!! XD

whom
02-13-2011, 03:22 PM
it was today, right? :)

Williamwinkler
02-14-2011, 02:19 AM
Yes its today, I had some car trouble and had to rebuild my cv joint & front nuckel on my car :hmm: . I have the images and II'll be posting it all in like a few min, I apologize for the late post.

Wink

CGTalk Moderation
02-14-2011, 02:19 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.