PDA

View Full Version : Character - needs design critique

Rapael
02-08-2011, 06:29 AM
I'm currently working on this character but I'm still not sure if he needs more detail other than skin bumps. My plan is to texture him in renderman.
The base mesh was done in Maya and currently sculpting displacement in ZBrush.

thanks

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_CykQKs5fhoo/TVDwNYdRBkI/AAAAAAAAAdE/7OHrWcDvoGU/s1600/peixe.jpg

Kanga
02-08-2011, 11:45 PM
Hi Raphael and welcome to cgtalk.
The character looks ok but the design itself is a bit tame. Have you done much sculpting of normal humans? Can you tell us what this is for and some background of the character? Can you also post a few pictures of normal heads you have done?

jdoyle20
02-09-2011, 03:39 AM
I don't work in characters that much, but if you can help it I would avoid perfect symmetry for BOTH modeling and texturing the head. There isn't a single person's face out there that is perfectly symmetrical and if you were to take a picture of yourself, delete half, and mirror that side you will see that it just won't look right. It's very tempting to do when creating the head, but if you can go back and tweak or add some geometry to make it asymmetrical I think it would push your piece a lot further.

Think about who your character is, what they do for a living, the environment that they are surrounded by, etc. and use that to get ideas on what to add. A good example would be a boxer having a black eye and a split lip, or a soldier having scars and wounds on one side of their face from shrapnel.

Rapael
02-09-2011, 04:22 AM
Thanks guys for the comments. I will definitely change the asymmetry on his face. I've done human faces before. I understand that there is a lot of things that I still need to learn about that but I'm not planning my character to be 100% human. He has fish traces on him.
Kanga, is there anything specific that you would change about his anatomy?

thanks guys for your comments.

Rapael
02-09-2011, 05:07 AM
I forgot to put some past heads that I did. This is the link to the latest one.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_CykQKs5fhoo/TSv0IqdEd-I/AAAAAAAAAb4/eCzDIlDaRl8/s1600/Char_col2.jpg

Its all in maya with some bump.

This is mainly a head that I created so I can texture it, but I want it to look good. I'm mainly studying to be a texture artist. I want him to be a mix between human and fish.
I need to dig a little bit deeper on his background tough, thanks for the tip.
I also really appreciate the tip on the asymmetry, I will take care of that.
My blog has more pictures of that character.
http://www.raphapinta.blogspot.com/

thanks guys

Kanga
02-09-2011, 10:20 AM
Thanks for showing the pic of the human character.
It's what I thought it would be. You have some real nice stuff going on in the human model but it is nowhere near as good as you can make it. The ears are too pinned back and the overall proportions are not really compelling although it isnt easy to tell because there is no real fly around of the model.

I rekon you should do some human sculpts and nail those first because your fish guy is suffering the same minus points. There is really no use in futting around with details when the entire sculpt is in need of you getting good at bodyparts. But you just want to be a texture guy, maybe you should contact an artist here and ask to use one of their models to texture instead. Nonetheless you have a nice style it would be a shame if you didnt develop your sculpting for the whole package.

Rapael
02-09-2011, 06:03 PM
Thanks a lot Kanga for your comment.I recognize that I need to improve a lot on modeling humans. Do you think with the fish guy I need to improve more the anatomy of his muscles, bones structure.
I understand that his face is stretched a little vertically, and that was more a design choice.
Do you have any specif critique on his anatomy? Like position of ears, or nose. That would be really helpful so I could know where to improve.

thanks a lot for your comments.

Kanga
02-09-2011, 07:14 PM
Well there is no power in any of the features. If he has to stack up against the best then almost every feature is a bit bland. Research your monsters I am sure you can find fine examples with good use of structure.

ezraaaa
02-10-2011, 03:39 AM
I agree with all the advice given above. The sculpt lacks any "character" and overall looks a little stiff. Of course, that could be in line with the emotion you are trying to convey. I think I'd like it better if it had more detail or emotion around the eyes/eyebrows/upper-nose area and better use of the neck to communicate some kind of background.

Although the skeletal structure seems pretty solid, there isn't a very good indication of underlying musculature or tensile properties of the skin that you might want to show in a sculpt like this.

Rapael
02-14-2011, 07:32 AM
So,

I tweaked some of his parts and added details on others. I will be using this one as my
displacement map. Now I will do a mid disp, vein map and pores. Any critique on this one?

thanks guys

Proflooney
02-18-2011, 05:41 AM
I like it so far. I get the impression he is some type of amphibian. I would think abt adding some gills or something and scales.

If thats not the direction your going some nice wrinkling and skin folds to age him up to match the glasses style would look good too.

joe

CGTalk Moderation
02-18-2011, 05:41 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.